disembarkation and flight times in Lauderdale

Not sure where to post this. We will be sailing on the December 5 Voyager Ft. Lauderdale to Ft. Lauderdale cruise. We have never sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale before. We disembark between 8:00 and 8:30 AM. Is an 11 AM flight cutting it too close? I know the port and airport are close together, but I don't know if going through customs would cause delays. I called Radisson twice. One rep told me 11 was fine, another told me to book a flight after 12. Any advice?

This will be our second Radisson cruise, but first time on the Voyager. Can't wait to see the ship and enjoy the pampering again.

Tom Fynan

We disembarked last October from one of the Princess megacruisers with about 2,500 other passengers. Our flight was from Miami and we had ample time to board a 12:30PM flight. I do not see any problem with getting to the very close, FLL, by 10PM to check in.

Have a great cruise.

I'd go for at least 1130 or 1200. You can get hung up clearing customs and getting off the ship. A couple of years ago the offloading pax didn't get off Voyager until 1100. I know; we were waiting to board. That was an exception, but it does happen. Also, the airport can be a total zoo. We've seen as many as 8 ships offloading and going to the airport at the same time. Sometimes FLL goes smoothly and sometimes it does not. The hooker is that you normally can't get a seat on a later flight, because they're booked solid.

The airport is no more than a 15 minute cab ride....the big issue is going to be luggage handling/check-in, going through security, and how you react to a little stress! I think you should be able to make an 11 am flight...there will be plenty of cabs outside the terminal..just don't do Raddison transport...and make sure you communicate with the front desk so you are in the first group called.....If you're in the 8 am group you should be at the airport by 9 (the mythical 2 hours)...

Thanks everyone for the advice. I am going to take the risk and book the 11 AM flight. The convenience of a non-stop flight trumps the risk of missing it, to us. We will see what happens in December.

I hope it works out for you. One problem in Port Everglades is the availability of taxis. It can take forever to get one. Also, the airport can be a nightmare. Those are just a couple problems you can run into... providing Customs and Immigration doesn't hold you up. From past experience, I'd never book a flight from FLL before noon.

1. Take a cab not the bus the line has.

2.Do curb side check in of luggage...it beats the crowd and lines inside

3. Find the airline rep that is usually hovering around the throngs of people on line.....tell them you have an ealy flight that you must make...if there is any delay they should wisk you through the check in line. Security should not be a problem...its just the checking in for the flight that holds things up. also you will be in the terminal on a monday morning...its the weekends that are the worst with so many ships in port......stick with me, I'll get you on the plane.....I have my ways.

I presume that your arrival is Dec.15th. that is a THURSDAY. I know, because we are boarding Voyager on that day.

We live in FLL and can advise that Thurs. is a not bad day at the airport. Capt. Tom's tips are perfect. You can be off the ship at 9 a.m., customs is a breeze, and it's 15 mins to the airport. As he says, if you are a little late, see the airline rep.

Bon voyage and don't eat all the lamb chops and strawberries !!!

Thanks again. We are disembarking on a Monday - December 12. It looks like the Voyager is the only passenger ship in Port Everglades that day, so I hope customs and the airport won't be too bad. Hopefully we will still be able to move quickly after indulging in the chocolate cruise!:D

I am truly sorry. We board Voyager on the 17th. Dec. 2005. until Dec. 27th.

We are going to Las Vegas on a 15th. on a previous month, so I had that in mind.

Sat. is a tough day at the airport, so make use of the airline personnel to move you all along.

Archived