Jewels of Europe on Insignia

michigandollie

I apologize if there is a thread already but I can't seem to find reference to the above ship for Oceania anywhere. I have put deposit down for the February 8th 2014 sail and was wondering a few things. Has anyone taken this cruise and if so how they liked it. Also, I found that the hotel in Rome that they deal with The Westin Excelsior is quite pricey and wondered if anyone had a suggestion on a more reasonable hotel in Rome. (If there is such a thing). Also, since this is a port intensive cruise with most sailings at night is a veranda worth it? This is our third cruise but first to Europe so any tips and tricks to make it more enjoyable would be appreciated.

Your main question was about Rome hotels. I'm guessing that you were looking at the O hotel package. If you look into booking the same hotel on your own you'll no doubt find that it is MUCH cheaper. Most of the time O's prices are per person rather than per room which makes a BIG difference.

Two years ago we stayed at a pleasant four star hotel, Hotel Eliseo near the Spanish Steps. The price was reasonable but as you indicated, Rome is expensive.

If you do a search here on Rome hotels (or go to the ports of call section) I'm sure you'll find plenty of other suggestions.

I usually just do searches through the various hotel sites to find a deal that works for us. There is also Trip Advisor for recommendations.

Rome is a big city so recommending a hotel isn't that easy.

The NY Times Travel Section this past Sunday had an articled where a small hotel in Trastavere was recommended ... write to me if you want a better hint than this! I'm sure I can find the article again. Based on her recommendation, I would stay there!

Mura

You don't have to go onto the balcony to actually enjoy it.( Of course we sit out on the balcony as well.)

We love having the fresh air from the ocean coming into our room anytime we are in the room and overnight. You have to decide if this is important to you but we enjoy it.

We love having the fresh air from the ocean coming into our room anytime we are in the room and overnight. You have to decide if this is important to you but we enjoy it.

I hope that you're not saying that you leave the balcony doors open for that length of time....:eek:

That's a sure way to mess up the air conditioning balance, not to mention the mold issues.

The next time that somebody has respiratory issues in a cabin which you have inhabited, I'm expecting you to stump up for the bed jacket.

Thanks everybody for the input. I have solidified my plans and picked my cabin. I opted for a C1 on Deck 4 Oceanview Deluxe mid ship. I did get some intel on the "secret little hotel" in Trastevere from a couple of people that stayed there before and have booked it! Thanks for reassuring me on that choice.

Whoa, certainly did not know that.

It is counterintuitive to think that fresh air could be so damaging to the ship and one's health.

We turn the air conditioning off when the balcony door is open and we only leave a few inches open.

Now that we know this could harm someone we will be more careful.

We turn the air conditioning off when the balcony door is open and we only leave a few inches open.

How do you turn it off...I would love to know ??

On our river cruise they had an off switch but have not seen one on the O ships

We have never been on an O ship. Remembered we were able to turn it off on other ships though, so thought it would be the same here.

Guess we must have had different controls on our cruises on Regatta & Insignia

:(

Archived