Nikon Lens question

snowbird1

Well this one is for some of our advanced Nikon users. Having switched to FX recently I am in need of one more good lens which I am buying after I sell my 17-55 2.8 Nikon (one of my favorites). Anyway I am looking at the 24-70 2.8 Nikon and Tamron that is out with IS. I have read a lot on the two but wonder if anyone knows someone who owns the Tamron. Most of my friends have the Nikon and love it however there is a significant price difference.

Sent from my iPad

Well this one is for some of our advanced Nikon users. Having switched to FX recently I am in need of one more good lens which I am buying after I sell my 17-55 2.8 Nikon (one of my favorites). Anyway I am looking at the 24-70 2.8 Nikon and Tamron that is out with IS. I have read a lot on the two but wonder if anyone knows someone who owns the Tamron. Most of my friends have the Nikon and love it however there is a significant price difference.

Sent from my iPad

You might find some useful reviews for each lens here:

Tamron 24-70 2.8

Nikon 24-70 2.8

Consider getting a used nikkor lens. Many of my lenses that I bought used 5 years ago can be sold today for more than I paid for them. My total cost of ownership is $0 over time.

Now for the same money as a used 24-70 you could get a used 17-35AFs 2.8 + a new 50 1.4 AFs. or Save and get an older but great 28-70 2.8 AFs.

Best place I've found for used gear is KEH.com, this company deals with a lot of pros and has one of the best reputations for grading and customer service.

No matter how you look at third party lenses in 5 years your cost of ownership will be the highest if you go to sell it.

framer

No this will be used a lot.

Sent from my iPad

What I meant is rent it once to see if you like it before spending $1400

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Edited by oneputt18

I've owned both version of the 28-75 and also the Nikon 28-70 and now own the 24-70.

The older tamrons were great values, fine center sharpness but had to be stopped down to F5.6 or more to get any sharpness at the edge. Their contrast and color were never as good as the nikon. What they have is size and great value given you can get them for 400 or less used. The screw driven one is the one to get if you go this route.

Tamron and Sigma are stepping up their game on all their new lenses. No doubt due to the fact sensor are now 24 and higher pixels that marginal lesnes are never going to sell. I read good things about the new Tamron and it has VC.

My 24-70 is lightening fast, with a D600 and 2.8 I can't think of a time where you are going to need VC where you shouldn't have a tripod. 6400 ISO, 1/30 and 2.8 is some pretty dark situation.

For reliability, durability there is a reason you see all pros use the Canon and Nikon 2.8s. yes they cost a lot more but they have for the most part delivered. I watch Fredmirrand used gear all the time ( looking to buy a used 200F2 again ) Nikkors always sell, Tamron's linger a longtime. Today you can go look and pick up a pretty reasonable priced VC lense.

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=182276

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=348386

I've owned both version of the 28-75 and also the Nikon 28-70 and now own the 24-70.

The older tamrons were great values, fine center sharpness but had to be stopped down to F5.6 or more to get any sharpness at the edge. Their contrast and color were never as good as the nikon. What they have is size and great value given you can get them for 400 or less used. The screw driven one is the one to get if you go this route.

Tamron and Sigma are stepping up their game on all their new lenses. No doubt due to the fact sensor are now 24 and higher pixels that marginal lesnes are never going to sell. I read good things about the new Tamron and it has VC.

My 24-70 is lightening fast, with a D600 and 2.8 I can't think of a time where you are going to need VC where you shouldn't have a tripod. 6400 ISO, 1/30 and 2.8 is some pretty dark situation.

For reliability, durability there is a reason you see all pros use the Canon and Nikon 2.8s. yes they cost a lot more but they have for the most part delivered. I watch Fredmirrand used gear all the time ( looking to buy a used 200F2 again ) Nikkors always sell, Tamron's linger a longtime. Today you can go look and pick up a pretty reasonable priced VC lense.

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=182276

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=348386

Thanks, will be using on D600. All my Nikon lens have held value and that is a definite positive. I sold the 17-55 2.8 yesterday, was a great on DX format.

Sent from my iPad

I wouldn't worry about resale, the Tamron with the available rebate is $1299, that's $600 less than the Nikon.

Performance is near equal. So if you deduct the $600 difference from the $1299 that means all you would have to sell it for is $699 just to break even cost wise assuming the Nikon held its full value. They are already selling for several hundred below that used so the it holds its value is not a valid argument for getting Nikon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

I once bought a Sigma 500mm prime lens, great reviews and owners all swore by it. I must confess it was not a bad lens but on the odd occasion I got caught out by it failing to focus quick enough for me to get the shot I wanted.

Bottom line was I part exchanged the Sigma for the Nikon and thankfully I got a very nice price for the old lens and yes, the Nikon focuses quicker.

If these 3rd party lens have exactly the same quality glass and performance as the manufacturers example then go for it.

By pure coincidence I took delivery of my Nikon 24-70 lens last week and that was after just like you, I asked folks on a number of forums for their recommendations. The frustrating thing I found doing this was that those that owned a third party lens would swear by them, those that owned the Nikon lens, would swear by that.

How many professional photographers use anything other than the best quality lens for the specific task? (and I do not believe they are all given their equipment)

Good luck with the decision

John

I appreciated everyone's feedback but in the end I bought the Nikon. I got a fantastic price on it closing that gap between the two and I already had an expensive NC nikon 77 mm filter from a previous lens I sold so that was another savings factor. So far I am happy to say I love the lens. Now if I ever buy a wide angle it will likely be 3rd party, the Nikon is just too expensive. The 24-70 will be my main lens.

Sent from my iPad

:D smart

I appreciated everyone's feedback but in the end I bought the Nikon. I got a fantastic price on it closing that gap between the two and I already had an expensive NC nikon 77 mm filter from a previous lens I sold so that was another savings factor. So far I am happy to say I love the lens. Now if I ever buy a wide angle it will likely be 3rd party, the Nikon is just too expensive. The 24-70 will be my main lens.

Sent from my iPad

Sent from my iPad

I confess to being really impressed with this lens although we have slightly different cameras. I have no idea if you will experience the same thing but when using that lens I was AMAZED at the amount of cropping I could do.

Yes we are always better off having the right lens for the right picture, but if I am using the 24-70 and see an object 100 yards away, then rather than risk not getting any type of picture, I would not hesitate in using this lens.

I have just taken delivery of a B+W polarizer filter and again, I am really impressed in how it performs. Many, many years ago I tried a cheap and cheerful filter and if I am being honest, I could not see a significant difference, this is now most certainly NOT the case and if you are going to use your new lens where there is a lot of sunshine and reflections, then I would seriously consider buying this type of filter (the size by the way is 77mm)

My 'stretched limo' (before I had that filter):(

VanDSC_0040ac_zps0415cd35.jpg

Look how dark it is above the numberplate and this is a cropped image from this very same photograph and there is no cheating with any photographic software, it is a straight crop 24-70mm lens at 32mm of zoom:

PlateDSC_0040c_zps670af6ee.jpg

The lens is supposed to be very sharp and I believe that is why you can crop so well. I have not to crop an image taken from it yet.

Sent from my iPad

Partially correct. The D800 has a 36.3 megapixel FX-format, the lens is extremely sharp due to fast fixed aperture of f/2.8 across a 24–70mm zoom range, this lens provides both fine resolution and natural representation. A Nano Crystal Coat helps effectively reduce ghost and flare effects under harsh lighting for greater image clarity. So combine the two and you get the result of 10X plus cropping with reduce noise having excellent results. Want to get even better resolution with closer images switch the D800 to DX, smaller file but your lens gains reach without sacrificing noise when enlarged.

Partially correct. The D800 has a 36.3 megapixel FX-format, the lens is extremely sharp due to fast fixed aperture of f/2.8 across a 24–70mm zoom range, this lens provides both fine resolution and natural representation. A Nano Crystal Coat helps effectively reduce ghost and flare effects under harsh lighting for greater image clarity. So combine the two and you get the result of 10X plus cropping with reduce noise having excellent results. Want to get even better resolution with closer images switch the D800 to DX, smaller file but your lens gains reach without sacrificing noise when enlarged.
Wise words and I am not sure if I emphasised I also have a D800. I just cannot convince myself to shoot in DX format :o

Very true, lots of pixels from the D800 to work with.

Sent from my iPad