Dress Code Question

Huxley'sCruisers

I have a pair of black dress jeans, and you would be hard pressed to differ between suit trouser or dress jeans. They look smart, and with a smart designer shirt, I think it looks special. Well, that's what my wife said on the last Princess Cruise, when I wore them to the Dining Room on the formal night.

I was not challenged by the staff, and other cruisers on the dining room table thought my gear was very smart for the evening.

My dining friends that night were dressed in dinner suits, with ties or bow ties.

The ladies had formal type dresses on, which to me looked like something out of the 1920's - sorry to say that, but, that's how it looked like to us.

I guess each generation dressed the way, that they have been "used to", eg. formal wear, smart casual, normal suits, etc.

What's that saying, "let each person march to the drum that he hears"

Since your dining companions were considerate enough to wear formal wear on Formal Night, it's no surprise that they would be polite enough to not comment on your clothing. Most of the young people I know still dress in formal clothing when attending a formal event.

Ma Bell - but I didn't tell you in the last posting, that the fellow diners on our table (dressed in formal clothing) commented on how smart the shirts were that I had purchased prior to the cruise. One elderly guy on our table asked me later where he could buy one of these shirts.

Most of the "elderly" cruisers on our "Princess" dinner table were quite pleasant, and nice to talk to. We even had a couple that dressed in strange clothing, something I have never seen before. It looked like clothing from the 1920's or movie set. Over a period of time we found out that they dressed that way, as they visited nursing homes in their home town, to entertain the frail & elderly with their ballroom dancing. How good is that, I applaud them,and I never once commented on their formal gear.

Well fellow cruise critic members - this is probably my last posting, as in the next few days I have to travel interstate on business, then its not long now until DW & myself fly over to Hawaii for a beach stay prior to the Celebrity cruise back to Australia.

Bye Bye. (be kind to one another on this chat board)

My dining friends that night were dressed in dinner suits, with ties or bow ties.

The ladies had formal type dresses on, which to me looked like something out of the 1920's - sorry to say that, but, that's how it looked like to us.

I guess each generation dressed the way, that they have been "used to", eg. formal wear, smart casual, normal suits, etc.

And soon enough, the capricious and arbitrary "fashion standards" of today like tuxes and ties, will join the powdered wigs and petticoats of yesteryear, and be viewed with equal amusement and judged as equally absurd.

Edited by teecee60

Will they turn away if only wearing a nice long sleeve shirt and tie? No jacket?

On our Silhouette cruise in the Summer of 2012, they were handing out jackets. It was pointless in my opinion as you didn't have to put it on and I saw a few people carrying them to their tables and hanging them on the back of their chairs. This Summer on Millennium, there were people with dress shirts and ties who did not appear to have a jacket. It is possible that on some cruises, they might actually turn you away, but IMHO the chances of that occurring are diminishing as standards have changed.

I do want to emphasize that compliance with the dress code is still very high. The overwhelming majority - well in excess of 95% - are wearing at least a jacket.

• 2 weeks later...
Would a v-neck sweater over a collared shirt work for formal night? My dad loves this look (see photo) hates jackets, especially on cruises

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

Depends on who is at the door, there is an excellent chance he will either be given a jacket or be refused entry. Decision is his...

Would a v-neck sweater over a collared shirt work for formal night? My dad loves this look (see photo) hates jackets, especially on cruises

Whilst I sympathise completely with your father's hatred of jackets I don't think there are many people who would class that look as "formal". If you are asking "would he get away with this?" chances are he would but on Celebrity you can never be sure. There are bound to be some people who would look down there noses at him (moreso on these boards than on board ship) but If your Dad's like me I'm sure that doesn't bother him. If he loathes jackets that much I'd just recommend going to a specialty restaurant on formal nights.

Hi All,

Can yu tell me if shorts are allowed in MDR on none formal nights as my husband hates wearing long pants they are just above the knees.Also will a nice long sleeve shirt (and tie)with a pair of suit pants be ok for formal,the reason we dont want to take the jacket with us is that it is to bulky.If we were just going on a cruise from home no problem but we are going to Italy for two weeks before the cruise and then after the cruise we fly to Engalnd for two weeks,so carrying around a suit jacket is out of the question

thanks Jill

Hi All,

Can yu tell me if shorts are allowed in MDR on none formal nights as my husband hates wearing long pants they are just above the knees.Also will a nice long sleeve shirt (and tie)with a pair of suit pants be ok for formal,the reason we dont want to take the jacket with us is that it is to bulky.If we were just going on a cruise from home no problem but we are going to Italy for two weeks before the cruise and then after the cruise we fly to Engalnd for two weeks,so carrying around a suit jacket is out of the question

thanks Jill

Hi,

No shorts in MDR at dinner....from the Celebrity website:

Note that T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours but are acceptable for lunch.

Enjoy your cruise and vacation.

Woody

Is it really true that people don't know the meaning of the word formal? There are options available for those who don't care to dress on Formal Nights. Dining in the main dining room is not one of them.

It's very simple. Decide what's important to you and then choose to abide by the dress code or make other arrangements for the evening.

Is it really true that people don't know the meaning of the word formal? There are options available for those who don't care to dress on Formal Nights. Dining in the main dining room is not one of them.

It's very simple. Decide what's important to you and then choose to abide by the dress code or make other arrangements for the evening.

You are correct.

When Celebrity changes their dress code sensible people will decide what's important to them and plan accordingly, until then, they will follow the dress code. Needless to say, some cannot accept that they haven't made the change and are just imagining things.

Edited by Ma Bell

Here's a slightly different formal clothes question.

A guayabera (shirt) is considered formal dress in many countries, particularly in the tropics. Obviously, one does not wear a jacket with one of these. If one were to choose to wear a guayabera as formal dress, particularly an elegant long sleeved french cuff one with tasteful cuff links, would that likely pass muster? Has anyone seen this on Celebrity?

Edited by jan-n-john

A guayabera (shirt) is considered formal dress in many countries, particularly in the tropics. Obviously, one does not wear a jacket with one of these. If one were to choose to wear a guayabera as formal dress, particularly an elegant long sleeved french cuff one with tasteful cuff links, would that likely pass muster? Has anyone seen this on Celebrity?

We have not; and, it does not conform to the dress code.

Just booked the Eclipse for a Christmas cruise and some pre cruise travel.

The only clothes we plan to bring along are casual clothes. We won't even consider bringing along suits etc.

The good thing is that Celebrity offers choice. So on formal evenings we simply skip the MDR. We have had enough meals in enough MDR's on enough ships that they are no longer very special to us. Besides, after retiring, my idea of a vacation is not to wear a suit or even pack a suit for just a few hours of wear out of a three week vacation.

We have not; and, it does not conform to the dress code.

Kilts are not allowed according to the dress code which clearly states "slacks". I have often seen men wearing kilts on formal night.

I have not seen a guayabera shirt worn as formal wear. It has an informal look to me.

FWIW, should Bermuda shorts be allowed on formal night, especially on a cruise to Bermuda?

Kilts are not allowed according to the dress code which clearly states "slacks". I have often seen men wearing kilts on formal night.

I have not seen a guayabera shirt worn as formal wear. It has an informal look to me.

FWIW, should Bermuda shorts be allowed on formal night, especially on a cruise to Bermuda?

As this post and others,

X Clearly, despite what some of members the Celebrity board thinks, the dress code needs a big over haul.

Dress code threads are usually centered on mens dress, not women's????, they can wear most anything that might/could/almost be formal as long as it it look like it might be formal.

I dislike formal night, but I do try and look nicer than usual and if space is available I will bring a jacket(renting a tux is not an option) Oh we are elite with X if that matters in our opinion.

Please, I would hate to formal night go but, giver better options for all/many of us, for the dress code in the MDR.

Nostalgia in my signature

If you don't want to go to MDR, do they serve the formal entrees in the casual DR or Room Service?

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

cfi_countdown.php?vars=1391904000,-8,ca_carnival,first%20Miracle%20cruise%20

cfi_countdown.php?vars=1396058400,-8,ca_celebrity,cruising%20the%20Pacific%20Coastal%20on%20Century

The MDR meals are available through Room service to all categories of cabins during regular dining room hours.

Not available in the buffet if that is what you are referring to. The reason I say that is Celebrity used to have casual dining in a portion of the buffet area but discontinued that service several years ago. They did not serve the regular dining room menu.