K&B's Excellent Adventure to the S Caribbean on the Valor (Sept 19-30) *pic heavy*

ktinnc

Part 3/Saturday, Sept 21, 2013 (continued)

An albino red devil….

sept21-035.jpg

An oscar..

sept21-037.jpg

Another red devil..

sept21-038.jpg

Brian’s big peacock bass..

sept21-042.jpg

And another big one for me..a jaguar.. (You notice I don't hold my fish..haha)

sept21-043.jpg

Part 3/Saturday, Sept 21, 2013 (continued)

It was incredibly hot out (at least 100 degrees and super humid) so at one point in order to try and keep from getting sun burnt I wore one of Paco’s jackets to my protect my back and shoulders. I have no doubt it helped! I was hot regardless so might as well cover my skin. That’s why Paco wears long sleeve shirts and even a face mask because the sun is so brutal.

Around 10:15am (after we had been fishing for 4+ hours) I might’ve piped up and said..”umm…I think I’m done.” haha. Luckily Brian was happy to head in too since it was getting crazy hot. The 15 minute speedy boat ride sure felt good!

sept21-045.jpg

sept21-046.jpg

When we got back, Brian and I hopped out in the same spot he dropped us off at while Paco went and got the truck. He got the boat loaded on the trailer and then uh oh…. it had rained a few days before we got there so it was really soft/muddy. Paco couldn’t get the truck (and the boat) out of the water and up the ramp. Brian tried to help and some local guys came over and helped too…finally they got it out..he’s going to need some new tires soon though..lol.

sept21-047.jpg

Paco provided cold waters and soft drinks on the boat ride, so we each grabbed a cold one and enjoyed the AC in the truck on the way back to Old San Juan. We continued to chat and laugh…he was so friendly…we really had a great time. At one point he said he was no tour guide but just from him being a local and telling us about his life and city, we learned so much!

We said goodbye to Paco (at the top of the hill again), paid our fee (Only $250 for the entire morning!) and tipped him nicely and off he went. It was worth every penny! I can’t believe how much I enjoyed myself and of course the hubby had a blast as well!

For anybody traveling to PR in the future who is interested in fishing with Paco, he also does other types of fishing and has other boats for each type. Contact him – you won’t regret it!

sept21-048.jpg

Loving your review Katie! And, the pics are amazing! You got some beautiful shots out on that lake!

So what did you do with all the fish? Catch and release or was there a restaurant that would cook them for you?

I have to laugh about your coffee comment and your husband. My DH and I didn't drink coffee either (which irritated the lady when we did our bridal registry all those years ago, and she insisted we register for a coffee maker!) About 10-12 years into our marriage, all of a sudden, he starts drinking coffee, first with alot of cream and mocha or only cappuccino. Now, he's a plain-black-coffee -with-a-splash-of-milk guy. I swear I don't even know him anymore! :eek: Must just be something that happens at the 11 year point of marriage for the male non-coffee drinkers! :rolleyes:

And, no, I still don't drink coffee. ;)

Can't wait for more!

Subscribing!!! Your pictures are AMAZING!!!!!!!

My husband and I did this cruise in July and we both agreed it was the most amazing cruise we have ever taken. We LOVED Puerto Rico, we stayed at the Htel Casablanca and can't wait to go back someday and stay a few extra days there. Loved Old San Juan. Someday I am going to do this cruise again, I hope!

Thanks for doing a review, looking forward to reliving my cruise :)

Day 3/Saturday, Sept 21, 2013 (continued)

So where were we? Oh yes..Paco had just dropped us off at the top of the hill (near Fort El Morro) and we had said our goodbyes. Our plan was to head to our hotel to regroup. On the way back down the hill we were hot, sweaty, tired and hungry. It was about 11:45am so we decided to stop for an early lunch. In my (obsessive?) research I had read about the Ben & Jerry’s in Old San Juan (on TA). In addition to the traditional ice cream etc they have sandwiches and brunch items. Perfect. Somewhat quick and easy and they had AC and a bathroom..sounds luxurious to me! We’re easy to please!

sept21-050.jpg

sept21-051.jpg

Brian had some incredible french toast …

sept21-052.jpg

I had chicken ciabatta and some delish potato salad.

sept21-053.jpg

So kind of a funny story…we were at Ben and Jerry’s so of course I had to get some ice cream….I got it to go and when I saw they had waffle cones I decided to splurge and order one. Well they make their own cones. What I didn’t realize is they don’t let the cones cool off before putting the ice cream in it. I’ve never had somebody hand me an ice cream cone and say “careful it’s hot!” What the heck?!? lol So combine that with walking back in 100 degree heat and it was a messy/sticky disaster. Brian was laughing and I was all sad that I had no ice cream cuz it melted all over quick! Oh well…didn’t need those calories anyways..!

So we went back to the hotel room for showers and then laid down for a nap. Ahhhh….a nap…sweet wonderful sleepy time! The plan was to get up and go to Fort El Morro around 4ish because it closes at 6 and we figured it might be the tiniest bit cooler at that time. Well… the only problem with that is that I slept until 5:30pm!!!!!! Holy Moly! Guess I needed some sleep! Brian had been awake for awhile and didn’t want to bother me but I felt so bad I had wasted part of our day. Oh well..had to get over it!

Got up, got ready and headed back into Old San Juan. When we walked out of our hotel there was a wedding going on in the Cathedral across the street. The doors were open and the vocalist was singing “Ave Maria.” You could hear it as soon as we walked out of our hotel! We peeked in (down the long aisle) and could see the bride and groom facing each other holding hands. It was so beautiful! Definitely one of my fav memories from the trip.

So we walked and walked and walked and finally decided on somewhere for dinner. I pulled out my trusty iphone before heading into the restaurant and saw that it was 16th out of 400+ restaurants on TA so it must be good. We went to Pirilo Pizza Rustica..a little pizza place on Fortaleeza Street. After an appetizer of some crazy good garlic knots along with a few drinks .. I had a happy man on my hands. Our waitress was cute as can be and it was great food..a fun atmosphere. Pizza for 2 of us, a few drinks, appetizer and tip came to about $60.

sept21-059.jpg

sept21-054.jpg

sept21-055.jpg

sept21-056.jpg

sept21-057.jpg

sept21-058.jpg

After dinner we walked leisurely back to our hotel on a different street than we had seen so far. We found a Walgreens so popped in there for a few minutes and then headed back to our hotel.

sept21-060.jpg

We stopped by the front desk on the way in so I could ask about our “romance package.” The rate I had booked was supposed to come with deluxe accommodations…a tote bag..chilled champagne and truffles. Well we didn’t have any “romance” in our room when we got there..haha. So she had some sent right up!

sept21-061.jpg

We had planned to go cool off in the “plunge pool,” on the rooftop because we had been so hot all day (did I mention Puerto Rico is hot and was going through a heat wave when we were there? seriously! lol) On our way up to the room we peeked and there was another couple at the pool already so we decided to take our time and sit out in the hallway/terrace for a little bit first and enjoy our “romance pkg,” so that’s what we did.

All of the hallways where the rooms are have tables and chairs to sit at. It was very quiet out there that night other than some music playing below at the restaurant(s).

sept21-065.jpg

sept21-064.jpg

Our room was the door on the left….

sept21-066.jpg

After a little while we headed to the pool. for about 15 minutes we had the place to ourselves..it was so nice and the water felt sooo refreshing! There were lights in the pool that changed colors and it was dark out so it was very relaxing. A little later another couple from Seattle showed up with their “romance” package and we chatted with them for a bit. A few minutes later a guy from Puerto Rico and his adult daughter (22) joined us. They had been enjoying some tequila earlier and were very relaxed and hilarious! We spent about an hour there chatting with everyone before heading back to our room for a little more chill time before calling it a night. What a difference in how I/we felt after our naps after 3 days of 4 and 5am wake ups!

That night we actually left a local radio station on on our Bose system while we were hanging out. Apparently when I’m in Puerto Rico I enjoy that kind of music…at home..not so much..lol.

sept21-062.jpg

“Tomorrow, we go on a cruise!!!!!”

What a fun review so far, really enjoying it. We sailed this route on the Victory last year and loved it! We also spent the weekend pre-cruise in Old San Juan - lucky you got to stay at the El Convento (we stayed around the block at the Hotel Plaza something) lol. I loved staying in Old San Juan, so much to see and do. We went to the Flamenco show at Barrachina that Saturday night and I took my Dad to Sunday Morning Mass at the Cathedral (in Spanish). What a treat!

Can't wait to read more about your trip!!

I am thoroughly enjoying your review and your gorgeous pictures!

We just booked this same cruise for next year, so I am really interested in your impressions.

In my "youth" I spent some time in San Juan (and other parts of Puerto Rico) and have lovely memories of enjoying a pina coladas in the El Convento courtyard!:p

Lovin the review so far. We also did this itinerary 2 times on the Victory (review links in signature) and also think this cruise is the best by far. I love San Juan also. It is just a fun place to be.... even if it is hot and humid. You really have some great pictures, beautiful scenery and colors. I am subscribed and anxious to see and read more. I was reading a review by pghsteelerfan when I found your link, so thanks for putting the link in progress.

Subscribing to your review! You have such a fun personality and great outlook :) cannot wait to read more as you get it posted. Great looking family too! Thanks for taking the time to provide a detailed review :-) I too go crazy with smiley faces using the ellipsis, lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks everyone for all the feedback!! I'll be back with individual responses later today or tomorrow. Right now I'm plugging away at the next installment..prepping pics etc. I have like 100 pics for the next day...SanJuan, El Morro and boarding the Valor :)

Thank you; I'm having fun with it! Too bad it takes so darn long to sort/organize, write, upload etc..haha.

Thanks for the review. Looking forward to this trip in January. Recently got my inspiration to write my own, long overdue, review of our Carnival Legend Trans Atlantic. I can sure relate to sorting, organizing and writing!!! :D

John

Katie

We been reading all your posts absolutely great pictures and very good information . We have been looking at the Southern Caribbean for our next cruise . Since seeing your posts. We are definitely looking at the Carnival Valor now. We have had it down to two other ships .But this seems really good so far . Thanks a bunch and keep them coming . We're hooked. Great job . Keep on cruising.:)

kruise runner:cool: kruise kat:)

Katie, I just have to tell you that I think your pictures are absolutely stunning!!! :) I think you could do well with landscape photography as well. :) I'm really enjoying your review and can't wait until you get the next segment done.

Holly

Edited by pghsteelerfan