Bringing liquor on ship from ports of call.

mrsz

This is the part of the passage contract you should be interested in:

"Carrier may without liability for refund, payment, compensation or credit, except as provided herein, disembark or refuse to embark You, confine You in a stateroom, quarantine You, restrain You, change Your accommodations or disembark You at any time if, in the sole opinion of Carrier, the Captain or any Doctor, You or any minor or other person in Your care during the Cruise are unfit for any reason for the Cruise, or Your presence might be detrimental to Your health, comfort or safety or that of any other person, or in the judgment of the Captain is advisable for any reason."

Once you start making a big enough scene during embarcation,

you affect the comfort of other passengers. So, if this is your

plan, be sure to have a mobile phone with you, so you can call

your attorney right from the pier as you watch the ship leave.

Regardless, as you know the rules in advance, if you don't like them,

why don't you just take your business somewhere else?

It doesn't seem to be that it would be a fun, relaxing vacation

to spend whipping out the cruise contract, and arguing your

way to what you want -- win or lose.

I don't quite understand this over-the-top post, which is obviously aimed at me, as you quoted my post. I do indeed know the rules, which are as stated by bagney in an earlier post quoting Princess's documentation. I am a very boring person who always abides by rules (i would not dream of using rum runners etc) and in return I expect the cruise line to abide by their stated policy. If the policy stated that no alcohol could be brought aboard at ports of call even for storage, fine, I would abide by that, it's not a deal breaker for me. But that's not what it says. Oh, and by the way, like most people in the UK I don't have an 'attorney' (we're still less litigious than folks in the US, though unfortunately heading that way) and I certainly don't expect to need one on my forthcoming Princess cruise! Nor am I in the habit of making other people uncomfortable. If I had a problem, I would ask to speak to someone more senior in private.

Putterdude, I have looked at the thumbnail you kindly posted. This is on the luggage tags for when you first board the ship and contains information about the new embarkation policy that has been in place for a few months now. If you look back at bagney's post, you will see that it reproduces the first part of that. But the policy as stated in bagney's post then goes on to deal with bringing liquor on board at ports of call for storage till disembarkation. There is no reason for Princess to refer to that on luggage tags (nor would there be room!), they are just interested in telling people what they can embark with. If they're going to specifically address the ports of call question, it would make more sense to do in the Patter on each port day.

Putterdude, I have looked at the thumbnail you kindly posted. This is on the luggage tags for when you first board the ship and contains information about the new embarkation policy that has been in place for a few months now. If you look back at bagney's post, you will see that it reproduces the first part of that. But the policy as stated in bagney's post then goes on to deal with bringing liquor on board at ports of call for storage till disembarkation. There is no reason for Princess to refer to that on luggage tags (nor would there be room!), they are just interested in telling people what they can embark with. If they're going to specifically address the ports of call question, it would make more sense to do in the Patter on each port day.

I quite agree with you, I am not happy at all with what is going on. However, I will say that information regarding liquor purchased ashore was dealt with each day in the Patters on the Ruby last month. I don't recall them saying it would be destroyed but it did not say that it would be held and returned either.

I don't quite understand this over-the-top post, which is obviously aimed at me, as you quoted my post.

Huh?

You wrote:

"The cruise line cannot unilaterally change contract conditions retrospectively...It is a pity your friend did not stand her ground,

but I can understand that some people are inhibited about making a public fuss, even when they are in the right. "

I'm encouraging you to follow your suggestion telling your friends

to make a fuss over what they think passage contract says reagarding liquor.

I quite agree with you, I am not happy at all with what is going on. However, I will say that information regarding liquor purchased ashore was dealt with each day in the Patters on the Ruby last month. I don't recall them saying it would be destroyed but it did not say that it would be held and returned either.

Interesting. I wonder if anyone has a Patter from the Ruby that they can post.

Just a few mins. ago I printed out what it said on my passenger contract for my January 18th and August 30th cruises regarding alcohol spirits purchased at ports of call.

"You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last night of the voyage."

The passage contract was agreed to electronically by the parties, myself and Princess, when you enter your cruise personalizer. The Hotel Manager was wrong without question. I do think if pushed hard enough that Princess may offer an OBC for the next cruise, which is what I meant by monetary compensation. I don't think there will be any checks in the mail.

Has anyone heard of a new policy just implemented from princess that if you bring liquor on as a souvenir from a port that they will no longer hold it for you until the end of the cruise . I just got off Caribbean Princess and I know someone this happened to. Would not hold liquor until end of cruise and told them this policy started the week of Sept 28.

I just got off the Grand, the Patter had a notice one day that I noticed, we stopped in Ensenda, that read something like purchase of local souvenir wine or alcohol in port would be held, I thought til the end of the cruise. At least that is how I read it. Thought the language of local souvenir wine and alcohol... was interesting. Did not keep the Patter, maybe folks on board can check out the exact wording.

I read the 3 luggage tag statements as being in relation to each other. Meaning, a) you can board with one 750ml bot. of wine pp at no charge, b) additional 750ml bottles of wine can be boarded at a corking charge of $15/bot, and c) you can not board with any other kind of alcohol such as spirits.

All these statement have to do with boarding and on board use of alcoholic beverages, and NOT with purchases of alcohol from the ship's or from shoreside duty free shops to take home. These purchases are specifically in the passenger contract and are allowed. To me it's really clear

Archived