How to get thru Boston to Salem

Desert_ Dweller

Nitemare, last nights game was a nightmare!!!

To OP, you could do a Fenway Park Tour.

I did not enjoy myself at the game. But I got a great parking space on the street and had a very enjoyable sushi dinner first, so that was nice.

Last night I had a bad parking space, and mediocre dinner, but the game more than made up for it.

I did not enjoy myself at the game. But I got a great parking space on the street and had a very enjoyable sushi dinner first, so that was nice.

Last night I had a bad parking space, and mediocre dinner, but the game more than made up for it.

You were at that game ! Wow, what and ending. Who's Boston's hero of the day. Tom Brady is no slouch either ! Go Boston !!!

I think we will be there for so many days pre cruise... I may even have to by a Boston shirt .

I agree with you.. we will plan to return early evening.

Looking at the cost of MBTA tickets, I'm confused, too many options for a tourist wanting to use the system for a day or 2. Do they take visa? That way I don't have to try to figure the cost of riding the system.

You can get a single day "Charlie Ticket" for the subway and bus service for $11 or a 7 day ticket for $18: http://mbta.com/fares_and_passes/subway/ These tickets can be purchased at machines that take credit cards. Remember though this only covers the subway lines (Red, Blue, Green, Orange, Silver). With that single ticket you can ride all the subway lines, which is quite a large area. The Silver line looks like busses, but is considered part of the Subway system. For example you can go to South Station on the Red Line, and transfer to a Silver line bus and go to Logan Airport. Remember all the subway lines will have two sides, and the side will be represented by the last station in that direction. So for example if you are at the Massachusetts Ave Station on the Orange line, you would want to go to the side that says "Oak Grove" to go towards North Station. I would print out the subway map and keep it with you as it is helpful to know where all the lines go. The Green Line is strange in that it splits apart into four different lines at different points. These four are called B, C, D, E. There used to be an A line years ago, but that is long gone. But when travelling inbound (towards North Station), it does not matter since they all go to either North Station or before that, where you will get off and wait for a train that goes to North Station.

If you want to take the commuter rail to Salem, you need to go to North Station via the subway (either the green or Orange lines) and purchase a commuter rail ticket (which also can be done at a machine). The tickets are priced according to the zone you travel from and to. The zone chart is here: http://mbta.com/fares_and_passes/rail/#zonechart

For Salem, it is Zone 3, so you would need a zone 3 commuter rail ticket which costs $6.75 each way. Make sure you purchase a round trip ticket from a machine in the North Station waiting area so that you do not need to purchase the return ticket on the train back. Many commuter rail stations do not have ticketing machines, and the conductors only accept cash onboard. Also if the station has a ticketing machine, they charge you an additional $2 to pay the conductor.

Here is the schedule for outbound (out of Boston to Salem): http://mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/lines/?route=NBRYROCK&direction=O&timing=W&RedisplayTime=Redisplay+Time

And here is the schedule inbound (To North Station): http://mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/lines/?route=NBRYROCK&direction=I&timing=W&RedisplayTime=Redisplay+Time

You read both maps from the top down.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

I'll bet it's a fun outing ! But, I think we will do the subway and commuter train this year. We're about to emabark on a 14 day cruise, so it's a little less excting than it might be if we were land based vacationing.

The zones map will be help full, but even better, thank yu for telling me it's Zone 3 that I need.

I'm sure looking forward to the next Baseball game ! Can the Sox win in Detroit?

I think it is best of 7, so WHEN the Red Sox win the next 3 games they will be in Detroit. I would ok 1 loss and bring it home to win.

Nitemare, can you have another lousy parking spot and dinner for the next 3 games?

Game time 4:00 pm ? I'm getting nervous ...........

Thanks everyone... all good to know. We ended up with 2 extra days in Boston and thought this might be something to do that we won't ever get to see again. We can leave Boston at any time that day heading to Salem... is it worth getting there early, (10:00- 11:00 AM ?) wandering a bit, having lunch, taking a tour and then more wandering ? Or, would it be better to wait and arrive mid afternoon ?

Have a great vacation. I haven't been to Salem in years. I did read House of the seven gables though! Guess I shud go c it.

No danger walking around Boston or Salem. Easy walking city. Lots of public trans. I also like taking ferries from Boston. Feels like I am on a Cruz excursion.

I would think you could get a shirt in any sporting goods store, at the team store across from Fenway, they seem to get those out really fast, or an unofficial shirt on a street corner in the busier areas. I know there is always a guy outside the Haymarket T stop. Not recommending him, just saying.

Parked in the same spot Saturday as the prior game and it seemed to work just fine. Planning the same for Wednesday and Thursday!

Shirts are available everywhere. They even had them at the park within minutes of the final out.

Oh Oh, now I have to wait until Saturday. Saturday is our fly day.. to Boston ! YAY! What to do on Sunday?

Is the farmers, artists markets still going on this late into October?

SOWA Open Market is open 'til the end of October, so this is the last week for that.

Do a Fenway Park tour. It's going to be chilly (50's) so dress appropriately.

Archived