GAPearl's Big BREEZE Review! 8 Day Southern Itinerary 9/28/13.

gapearl

I would book another cruise that stops in La Romana, ONLY because I would love to visit the cigar factory. If I ever make it back here, I would do just that and immediately get right back on the ship. Otherwise I have no desire to ever come back to the Dominican Republic. We all got right back on the ship once we returned. I didn't see any gift shops or vendors to pick up a t-shirt anything. I headed straight to the water slides and played in the Water Works area for a while. Then I headed to Guy’s for a little snack of some fries and enjoyed them by the pool.

La Romana views from the ship.

fba0fd75-1f59-4c61-bbeb-dd1b433b4993_zps1dfd4cb5.jpg

dbb2fac4-f285-425b-b830-528544ff6294_zps699d058d.jpg

Time to kick back.

afde04c4-71ac-4299-861a-265963d40c92_zps5c40810c.jpg

Guy's Burger Joint.

3eb3b5cd-9fd3-410d-82a5-a5be51393c81_zps618ea433.jpg

3b3e6114-433d-4903-a9e5-0ccbfe8930db_zpsba8f57d9.jpg

0257e10a-3636-47b4-a370-15b0d33d4cde_zps95db138a.jpg

Cloud 9 spa, a shower, nap, and dinner all followed a long, tiring day.

At dinner we were seated at a 4 top, but no one else joined us. We had a new waiter tonight. We got to chatting a little and he told us about his wife, who was also once a waitress on the Breeze. She was sent home about a month before because she was pregnant.

Potato soup appetizer.

c5578881-809f-466d-a100-55771f37188c_zpsc6c0a591.jpg

Farfalle with turkey and peas, covered in parmesean. One of my favorites!

efdf6bc9-829f-4aeb-9d25-25acf5e4a1ed_zps0dba0b1b.jpg

My mom had the vegetable spring rolls again and had a second appetizer as her entree, the fried shrimp.

84655690-6866-4236-9eb5-6ea10c187f95_zpsda3d37ab.jpg

I had my usual dessert, and she had a scoop of strawberry and butter pecan ice cream.

03f9dbb9-9119-4595-b7e2-ab6560aa31dc_zps234455cd.jpg

My outfit of the night.

e9667bc8-fb39-44ab-beaf-05cc702acb97_zps88527022.jpg

2d02c8c0-4e0e-4d48-954e-c44db2e1768a_zps9a906b83.jpg

After dinner I was hanging out with G and some of his family (he came with a big group of 15 others) when the call came out for “operation bright star.” About 15 minutes later, it was announced again with a cabin number. Word got around that an elderly passenger had died. I saw a thread posted on CC about it later as well. How sad for his family!

Tonight was Red Frog’s Caribbean Beach Party.

79f63ce9-caec-4d03-b873-501ff5d43d85_zps0f9855b3.jpg

e275f322-dafe-45eb-8a42-af95ffc5ba4e_zps8b8ed303.jpg

Playing with my camera settings again. I think these look pretty cool.

93d10aa7-01e3-4e9a-a40e-440c12987cc6_zpsab10c119.jpg

32ca9c2c-85be-4c26-b545-64939e2e4eb7_zps588c8403.jpg

We hung out there for a bit, and then headed to the Liquid Nightclub. There was a sign posted saying the club was closed tonight and to head to the party. It looked like the crew was having a private party in there. We went back to the lido but the deck party was winding down, so we headed up to Pizza Pirate and just chilled out the rest of the evening.

Up next: Aruba! One happy island!

Thank you so much for such a fun review; we are getting married on the Breeze in January - this gets me even more excited for our trip!

I feel that same way about DR - we are going to Dreams in January but if we ever go back, it will be a ship day for us :D

and understand how you got upset at the taxi gate in DR. When we were there in September it was a total mess. A little gate run by rude men, people cutting in line. Plus they will rip you off if you do not know any better. We had a group of about 15 who were going to the Dream Resort for the day pass. The guy at the gate got us a taxi van and said it would be $50-round trip per person. My sister and I said "heck no, on CC we were told it was to be $15 - round trip and to watch out for them trying to over charge" after we told him that he said " I said $15 sorry if you heard $50"......we had a great time at the resort but Carnival should ask them to do something about that taxi situation.

Great review!!! I love reviews with pictures! I am looking at the Breeze for my next cruise. Same itinerary minus Dominican. It has an extra sea day, which I love. I've never been to any of the ports! Can't wait to read more! :D

Wow! That DP tour is awesome. You did such a wonderful job on the great photos and information. I feel like I was there with you all. for anyone considering it, your review will be very helpful. Kim, you get so much out of your cruises, because you like to do things without fear. Way to go, girl. Swing on those ropes, kayak, holding alligators, holding snakes, jump out of planes...wait, you haven't done that one yet, have you? :D girl, I love it. That's what it should be about, enjoying life. Thanks for taking us all on your journeys.

I love all of the stair poses in your different dresses. They are all too sharp.

Edited by INCHARGE

and understand how you got upset at the taxi gate in DR. When we were there in September it was a total mess. A little gate run by rude men, people cutting in line. Plus they will rip you off if you do not know any better. We had a group of about 15 who were going to the Dream Resort for the day pass. The guy at the gate got us a taxi van and said it would be $50-round trip per person. My sister and I said "heck no, on CC we were told it was to be $15 - round trip and to watch out for them trying to over charge" after we told him that he said " I said $15 sorry if you heard $50"......we had a great time at the resort but Carnival should ask them to do something about that taxi situation.

So you paid 15.00 each way to Dreams - we are planning this for our January cruise and want to be sure; we have dealt with the rudeness during a prior visit. Are the taxi's easy to come by?

We only had one drink each. I'm used to getting 3 or 4 or however many I want. As we were leaving, G noticed someone drinking something that looked really good and asked what it was. It was the mocha chocolate getaway that everyone raves about. At the past guest party, a drink server will bring you a special order, if you ask. G asked a drink server if she could bring us one, and she said no they were done serving. The assistant cruise director, Brittany, was standing in the area and heard it all and had her bring us each the drink. It was really nice of her to step in and do that for us!

Me with my mocha chocolate getaway.

c9899e73-724c-45a3-b4c4-d956006d9212_zps10abfd5a.jpg

Mocha chocolate getaways are my absolute favorite drink! But what you are holding does NOT look like a mocha chocolate getaway. Where's the chocolate drizzled on the inside of the glass? Where's the whipped cream? I think you got gypped! :eek: Hopefully you were able to enjoy a real mocha chocolate getaway later on in the cruise. Loving your review so far!

I have no idea where I'll be or what I'll be doing in 2016, but I do know I want to book the Vista US inaugural! :p

And get out of my head! Last year, I said I was going to do JUST THAT this year- run a marathon and then take a cruise. And I was going to run the A1A! I booked the Victory 5 night cruise from Miami, leaving the day after the race. Fast forward to this time last year, and I wasn't even thinking about training, so I said forget that and switched from the Victory to the Valor instead. It's a thought for next year though!

I've thought about doing this one too-

http://www.gammcruise.com/

It's an Alaskan cruise and you run so many miles in each port. By the end of the cruise, you've completed a marathon!

If you do that Alaskan cruise I will look for the review. Alaska is on my radar, but not sure I would forgo all the great excursions to run.

Im ultra competitive and would try to win each day lol which would mean I couldn't do my normal post race activity ....eat everything in sight lol

Reading about your DR experience reminds me why I stopped calling my trips vacations. I simply refer to them as adventures now. :) something always seems to go horribly wrong at first then when all is said and done things work themselves out. Plus I have a great story to tell.

Glad you had a great time.

Edited by ohiogymrat

:eek::eek: Uh oh! What were those banos like? No plumbing to speak of I imagine. Odors? Bugs? Other critters?

No we couldn't flush, and you had to throw your toilet paper away in the trash can on the side! Thankfully no bugs though.

I'm so glad it all turned out okay! (I'm sitting here refreshing hoping for more....)

It did! But in the beginning I was worried it wouldn't! :eek:

:(. That's all?? Well it's 10:00 here so midnight there. You're young. I'm sure there will be more when I wake up. LOL

I made sure I did not fall asleep until I finished!

Thanks for finishing your DR day. Next time I will refresh the page before I panic! :eek::D

LOL too funny.

BTW I see you're from Montana. We had a couple on our roll call from Montana. That's one of the few states left I have not been to but would love to visit one day.

Loving this review! Can't wait for Aruba. We aren't going there anytime soon but gathering info for when we do. Was talking to my son (stationed in Germany) and he asks me if there was any part of his wedding that I was dead set on paying for. He didn't need any financial help, but he knows I paid for his sister's wedding last year. I told him I would pay for his honeymoon if he wanted to take a cruise (we will be on the same cruise) he says, "I think Aruba sounds like a place to go." Looks like we will be on the Breeze for an 8 day as soon as Uncle Sam sends my son back home.

I LMAO about the cornbread! OMG! Even in my "learning to cook" days, I didn't screw it up THAT bad!

As for the reptiles......you got more guts than I do. No way am I going to hold anything like that! Glad you and your mom had a great time and am enjoying your review.

Kim: When are you sailing the Sensation?

Gina

December. I might book one more for November to get to platinum because they're so cheap right now.

So enjoying your review, thanks for taking the time to share your cruise

You're welcome! I'm glad you're enjoying!

Wow...I am getting more excited about my cruise on the breeze in 2 weeks :D this is a great review thanks for sharing.

Two weeks! That's so close! Are you ready? :D I hope you have a fabulous cruise!

Thank you so much for such a fun review; we are getting married on the Breeze in January - this gets me even more excited for our trip!

I feel that same way about DR - we are going to Dreams in January but if we ever go back, it will be a ship day for us :D

Awesome! Congratulations on your wedding! Do you know where on the ship you'll be getting married? I'm sure I have some pictures of it and will be sure to post. DR is the first place I've been where I just don't have a lot of good things to say about it, not even after two visits.

Kim great review of the river cruise. Thanks for sharing the photos at least we got to see what we missed!

You all missed a great time but I don't blame you one bit for backing out. What did you end up doing in La Romana? Some people just got back on the ship and spent the day by the pool having drinks.

Yeah you really have to stand your ground with those guys!

Great review!!! I love reviews with pictures! I am looking at the Breeze for my next cruise. Same itinerary minus Dominican. It has an extra sea day, which I love. I've never been to any of the ports! Can't wait to read more! :D

It's a great ship and a great itinerary. You should definitely book it!

So glad everything worked out on the DR tour!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Me too! I was joking with Kirsten that if the taxis weren't there and we missed the ship, could our river boat make it to Aruba? LOL :p

Edited by gapearl

Wow! That DP tour is awesome. You did such a wonderful job on the great photos and information. I feel like I was there with you all. for anyone considering it, your review will be very helpful. Kim, you get so much out of your cruises, because you like to do things without fear. Way to go, girl. Swing on those ropes, kayak, holding alligators, holding snakes, jump out of planes...wait, you haven't done that one yet, have you? :D girl, I love it. That's what it should be about, enjoying life. Thanks for taking us all on your journeys.

I love all of the stair poses in your different dresses. They are all too sharp.

Thanks INCHARGE! Hope you're enjoying Atlanta today! No jumping out of planes. Yet. LOL it's something I never wanted to do until I saw them jump out of planes in Bora Bora on The Amazing Race last season. If I had the chance, I might would give it a shot! Glad you love the dresses! I pretty much bought a new wardrobe for this cruise. :o

So you paid 15.00 each way to Dreams - we are planning this for our January cruise and want to be sure; we have dealt with the rudeness during a prior visit. Are the taxi's easy to come by?

The taxis area is right off the ship. It's called taxi de campo. Kirsten was telling us the drivers have certain areas where they can and can't go. I guess they each have their own zone, so to speak. Most don't speak any English. While I know it's a Spanish speaking country, you would think that people that work in tourism with thousands of English speaking Americans every day would know just a little. :rolleyes: She said that's why some of the drivers probably didn't help us. Just be firm and stand your ground with them.

Mocha chocolate getaways are my absolute favorite drink! But what you are holding does NOT look like a mocha chocolate getaway. Where's the chocolate drizzled on the inside of the glass? Where's the whipped cream? I think you got gypped! :eek: Hopefully you were able to enjoy a real mocha chocolate getaway later on in the cruise. Loving your review so far!

Someone else said the same thing, but by the time I took this picture, I had already mixed up the chocolate syrup and whipped cream and had a few sips. LOL It was very good! I'll be sure to order it again next cruise. Thanks for reading!

If you do that Alaskan cruise I will look for the review. Alaska is on my radar, but not sure I would forgo all the great excursions to run.

Im ultra competitive and would try to win each day lol which would mean I couldn't do my normal post race activity ....eat everything in sight lol

Reading about your DR experience reminds me why I stopped calling my trips vacations. I simply refer to them as adventures now. :) something always seems to go horribly wrong at first then when all is said and done things work themselves out. Plus I have a great story to tell.

Glad you had a great time.

It's unlikely that I'll book that marathon Alaska cruise, but it is on my wish list! Who knows, I might be able to swing it. Good thing it's on Holland America. I couldn't get up at 6 am to go run 13 miles after dancing all night in the club and going to bed at 4 am on Carnival. Haha :D

My trips are definitely adventures!