St. John

70sGringo .... Has GREAT info which is totally correct! That's why we say that it's the best way for a longer day ... but, the Ship's Tour works better (and is much easier) for a HALF day!!!

Here is a rundown:

8:15AM--- Off the ship and caught a taxi right next to the ship to Red Hook ($9pp---taxi rates just went up $1pp the week before we arrived)

9:00AM Red hook ferry to Cruz bay, St. John ($7pp).

9:30AM---Cruz bay to Cinammon bay ($4.50pp- wild ride, probably just the individual driver. Tell the driver to take it easy---may work, may not, but being in the rear of these taxis is harrowing) Most taxis are open air pickups with lengthwise bench seats in bed.

10AM--- On the beach at Cinammon bay. No charge to visit Cinammon bay. 1:20PM--- Caught taxi back to Cruz Bay ($5pp/indifferent taxi driver

couldn't explain why it was more, but they have the advantage... you need to get back to Cruz bay. No big deal anyway... 50 cents more pp).

2:15PM---Caught ferry back to Charlotte Amalie ($7pp). This boat does not put you within walking distance to the ship.

3:15PM---Short taxi ride through CA to ship ($3pp). Taxi driver said he should have charged $4pp, but said he forgot. I'm sure $4pp is the norm by now.

Certainly worth your time to go to St.John ... however you do it!!!!!!!!!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

I discovered St. John 14 years ago on a cruise with my daughter. She booked the ship tour for snorkling on Trunk and I booked the island tour. Both were great. It convinced me St. John was the place for vacations and we have made 9 trips back and always stay a week on the island.

We go over using the Red Hook ferry and return using the Charlotte Amalie ferry. Great views coming back to town. Trunk is OK .... but very crowded. our favorite is Hawksnest. No concessions or rentals but also no crowds. If you have your own gear that's the place to go. We rent gear in town. Taxi rides are easy from town and just stand by the road for a minute when you are ready to return...... a taxi will be by in a minute and stop and pick you up.

If you are there for the whole day and want to do Trunk ..... the park entry fee will also get you into the Annenburg sugar plantation ruins. Worth the trip + you get to see more of the north coast. St. John is our favorite place to vacation and we go as often as we can. Good info about the island ..... http://www.stjohnusvi.com/stjohn.html

Ace

I discovered St. John 14 years ago on a cruise with my daughter. She booked the ship tour for snorkling on Trunk and I booked the island tour. Both were great. It convinced me St. John was the place for vacations and we have made 9 trips back and always stay a week on the island.

Ace

DW and I are already considering going to St. John for a week on our next vacation after our November cruise.

Would you mind saying at which hotels you've stayed while in St. John and which one/ones you like the best.

We love the beach and are looking for a nice beachfront or oceanfront hotel.

Thanks,

Gary

Would be happy to help you..First, there are only 2 hotels on St. John...Westin and Caneel Bay. They are on the water but very pricey$$$$$..($600 a night in season.) Caneel Bay still does not have air conditioning..they used to have no phones, TV etc but that may have changed, although I doubt it.

Your best bet if you want to spend a land vacation there would be to rent a house, condo or villa (all price ranges from $900 a week to $20,000 a week and up), rent a car and venture on your own. You can dine out, cook at home, and do whatever you choose.

We spend 6-8 weeks a year there...(we have a house there...don't own it but have been going for years and always stay there) and have more friends there than we do in NJ...

I could go on on but if you want specifics, e-mail me on my profile...I've given some good recommendations on this site to people going there and planned two weddings for Cruise Critic people last year...I'd be happy to help...Pam

Which ends up being cheaper taking the ship's tour to St. John or going on your own? We are two adults with two teens going on the Adventure 7/24. They have a St. john's tour and a St. John's tour and beach for 48.00. I got up to 20.00 one way adding up the ferries and the taxis. Is this accurate? How much is the difference? Thanks,

Maureen

My wife and I are wanting to find a nice secluded (not packed) beach where we can snorkel, and where there is shade (as we both are horribly pale). Hawksnest looks like it fits the bill. Would you guys agree or would Cinnamon, Trunk, Salomon or some other one be better?

Taxi rides are not per person, the taxi fare is for at least 4 people. The price may end up being similar, but we want to do our own thing. We haven't been to Duffy's Love Shack on St. John yet, it is supposed to be in a treehouse! :D

Archived