Brazilian Visa Experience for US Citizens

I wanted to tell my fellow Cruise Critic Members about our experience applying for our Brazil Visa for our upcoming April Santos-Barcelona Cruise.

First of all if you live near a consulate it is best to apply there to save the fees. In order to save the extra fees of a Visa Expediting Service.

1. Go to this website http://saofrancisco.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/visas.xml or your local Brazilian Embassy Website and learn about the process and money orders.

2. You will need to get an Express Mail(Trackable envelope from the USPS for $20). Priority Mail won't work. Then you will also need a Money Order for$160 per person or $180 if someone else will be dropping off the VISA. If you are applying for more than one Visa as a family then the money order can reflect the total cost. It is super important that the money order comes from the USPS

3. Go online to the address below and fil out the Visa Application Online. You will need to print out the confirmation page Sign it and Date it.

https://scedv.serpro.gov.br/frscedv/manterVisto.do?method=informaObjetivo&lang=eng#inicio

4. On the same website you will need to make an appointment. You must make separate appointments for each visa application but you can go at the earliest time and date.

5. Be sure that you have one passport 2x2 passport photo that is recent.

6. Have all documentation such as Air into Brazil and your cruise Confirmation along with itinerary showing how you are leaving Brazil.

7. If under 18 you will need a consent letter signed by parents. You can read this info on the Brazilian Consulate Website of your local Consulate.

8. On day of appointment arrive at your stated time and take a number. Wait until its been called and have all documents ready to go. Be ready to answer all questions of the officer.

9. Within one week you should have your visa sent to you or you can pick it up on or after the stated date and time.

Remember in the Brazilian Consulate you cannot use any cellphones so make any important calls outside.

If using a Brazilian Expediting Service you will need to follow their instructions.

I strongly advise you to get your Visa as soon as you have firm plans as there may be a delay.

Remember failure to have a Visa for entering Brazil will cause you to be denied boarding on your flight. It is YOUR responsibility to have this in order.

You will be granted a Tourist Visa that expires in 10 years. The old Visas where you had to enter Brazil within 90 days are no longer being issued.

If anyone would like to add their experiences or if any information stated above is not correct please feel free to correct it.

Other than that Bon Voyage

I would just add:

This is true if you are cruising to Brazil as one of your ports, although originating elsewhere.

If you do not have the official Brazilian visa in your passport, you will not be permitted to board the cruise ship.

Period.

There is no allowance for "well, I just won't get off the ship in that port."

No visa, no cruise.

:)

Most people do NOT live near a Brazilian embassy or consulate that issues visas. While they cost money, the visa services do their job very well.

FYI - If you live close to DC, like me, you are NOT allowed to apply in person. At least that was the rule a few years ago, when I went to Brazil for Carnivale. I was required to submit my application through mail or other regular delivery service. I didn't like sending my passport, but did what was required and it came back pretty quickly.

I guess rules change. We live in NoVA and applied in person two years ago. Two passport pictures required, picked up visas in three weeks. Best to consult individual office websites. And yes, there were passengers who had booked previous legs who were not denied passage (at airport), but let off the ship prior to landing in Brazil (lots of luggage curbside in Montevideo). Once they discovered their error, no time to apply.

FYI - If you live close to DC, like me, you are NOT allowed to apply in person. At least that was the rule a few years ago, when I went to Brazil for Carnivale. I was required to submit my application through mail or other regular delivery service. I didn't like sending my passport, but did what was required and it came back pretty quickly.

I am going through the visa process right now for a technical conference. I am lucky that I only need a tourist visa. As onerous as that process is, you should see what you have to do for a business visa!

Thankfully they are good for 10 years.

• 2 weeks later...
This is going to be fun for the upcoming Olympics.

I know a lot of people that won't go to Brazil now, due to crime.

Add this ridiculousness for a visa just for a one day visit and it's apparent Brazil is not a very welcoming place for tourists.

Gramps

Its all about reciprocity. Brazilian's have to go through even more than we do to visit the USA

This is going to be fun for the upcoming Olympics.

I know a lot of people that won't go to Brazil now, due to crime.

Add this ridiculousness for a visa just for a one day visit and it's apparent Brazil is not a very welcoming place for tourists.

Gramps

Its all about reciprocity. Brazilian's have to go through even more than we do to visit the USA

Exactly. Brazil has specifically said that if the U.S. drops the visa restrictions for Brazilians, Brazil will drop the restrictions for U.S. travelers.

Archived