Old Mole.....DANG it.

mrsfuzzmo

Well, I just won a free cruise!! That's very exciting news. The not so exciting news is that when we dock in Key West we will be at the Old Mole (Outer Mole??). Not that happy about that, but can someone please tell me the timing/process of getting from that dock to Duval?

I love Key West and was sooooo excited to show my cruise companions one of my favorite ports, but didn't expect this little snag. We are in port from 7:30 am till 1:30 pm, so I know we will have to head back toward the ship earlier than if we were on Duval and docked at the Pier near Mallory Square. So looks like our little day in Key West will be breakfast, wander around, have some drinks and conch and head back toward the ship by...what....Noon? 12:30 pm?

How long does it take to get back and is there one stop for a shuttle?

Thankfully, I know Irish Kevin's starts the party early!! We will probably rent an e-car for a couple hours, hit Blue Heaven for breakfast, southernmost point, zip past Hemmingway house, return the car and head out to the bars in hopes of some fun on an early morning!!

It's the Outer Mole. It's on Navy property, so you need to be transported on and off the pier. They use the local trollies and Conch Trains. Your wait will be minimal when you get off the ship. They do a good job lining them up. it's about a 10 minute ride downtown. You get dropped off at Whitehead and Front, near the Shipwreck Historium. From there, it's about a 3 block walk to Irish Kevins.

It's the Outer Mole. It's on Navy property, so you need to be transported on and off the pier. They use the local trollies and Conch Trains. Your wait will be minimal when you get off the ship. They do a good job lining them up. it's about a 10 minute ride downtown. You get dropped off at Whitehead and Front, near the Shipwreck Historium. From there, it's about a 3 block walk to Irish Kevins.

Ha! I knew it was the Outer Mole. I don't know why I kept typing Old. I've done it a couple times now.....grrr...must need a vacation! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Cruised last year and docked at the Navy Pier. I thought it was a big PAIN. Getting off the ship took forever. Time is quite limited and I thing they whole ship disembarked at the same time. There were very long lines to take you out of the Navy Pier. Getting back to the ship was no problem. Next week I cruise again to Key West and from what I have researched we will be docking at pier B. Very excited!

It wasn't a real pain, but it did eat us a LOT of time in KW. Way too much. We disembarked and were on the first shuttle to town, which was fine. We lucked out that there weren't many wanting to get off the ship at 7:45 am. Hopped on the shuttle and we were off. Then when they dropped us off we backtracked (walked) back to Blue Heaven which is not far from the pier....grrr. Nice day for a walk though.

We had to be back at the shuttle pick up for the last shuttle by 12:30 PM!! That stinks!! It took an extra hour off of our short time we were scheduled there.

Were they allowing people to get off the shuttle just outside the gates to the navy base or did you have to ride the shuttle all the way to Mallory Square?

Also, on the way back, can you pick up the shuttle just outside the gates?

Thanks!

We were not allowed off just outside the gates (so we had to backtrack all the way back on foot) and yes, you had to go back to Mallory Square area to get back onto the shuttle, unfortunately!

Edited by mrsfuzzmo