Brooklyn NY Cruise Ship Terminal

Mark

Does anyone know the status of the Brooklyn Cruise Ship Terminal. There was a lot of news when Carnival and Norwegian signed the deal to build new terminals in Brooklyn and since then nothing? I thought the plan was for it to be in use during the Fall of 2005 and accomodate Carnival, Princess, Cunard, HAL and Norwegian ships?

What is the latest on this project?:confused:

Why aren't they happy with it?

Also, if you leave out of the NYC pier already up does this mean you will pass the brooklyn one? If you leave out of the Brooklyn will you go under the bridge and will you pass the Statue of Liberty. As you can tell I don't know much about NYC.

Also, are any Carnival ships going to go out of that pier.

TRADITION Cunardians are all about tradition. The Manhatten piers could be sinking into the river, but that doesn't matter, that is where Cunard always sailed from. Do a search on the Cunard board and check it out.

You will still pass the Statue of Liberty and sail under the Narrows Bridge when leaving from Brooklyn.

Leaving from Manhattan you don t sail past the Brooklyn port. One is East river and the other Hudson river.

They are not getting rid of the Manhattan pier, it will close so they can redo it. It's a horror, it needs to be redone.

I would love to take a Princess cruise out of Brooklyn but I read somewhere (?) that they will have parking for 500 cars. Is that enough for 4 ships (max. if the cruises overlap) ?

BTW, we live 50 miles N of NYC so we always drive, My husband grew up in Brooklyn and we would love to see the revitalization going on there.

Does this mean that the new pier (in Brooklyn) will be closer to JFK than the Manhattan Pier ?

A "left" coaster needs to know ! :D

In mileage, not much, but in travel time to the west side of Manhattan, a great deal. If you are catching a plane back home from JFK, the Brooklyn pier would definitely be the way to go.

This article is stale news. The Brooklyn cruise ship terminal will not be on the East River, opposite the South Street Seaport. It is being built in Red Hook which is on the harbor and south of Manhattan. You'll be able to see the Statue of Liberty from the ship but the ships won't actually sail past it.

Interesting how these terminal changes affect our travel. I know the RCI/Celebrity move to Cape Liberty is horrible for people in NYC. What makes it worse is that the cruise line isn't trying to accommodate those who will now have a longer and costlier trip by providing adequate coach service. Doesn't seem like hiring coaches which they would pass the charge on to the passengers would be a burden to them and yet they won't do it.

Interesting how these terminal changes affect our travel. I know the RCI/Celebrity move to Cape Liberty is horrible for people in NYC. What makes it worse is that the cruise line isn't trying to accommodate those who will now have a longer and costlier trip by providing adequate coach service. Doesn't seem like hiring coaches which they would pass the charge on to the passengers would be a burden to them and yet they won't do it.

Excellent point, Pup! When RCL was out of NYC, we could take the subway to the terminal. Now, it's a long trip through Staten Island or across the city and a parking fee to boot. I was hoping RCL would offer some easy transport from Manhattan, possibility a water shuttle. The problem is all the folks from NJ and points beyond praising the move

• 2 months later...

Archived