Speaking of suitcases

Jean1946

luggage.jpg

We bought one of these on a TV shopping channel several years ago. It was on clearance w/free shipping, i.e. about $12. It works great, and is very accurate to the 1/10 of a pound. It also does kilograms, if you are flying home from Europe. We always take it with us.

FWIW, we pack our suitcases and top them off to 50 pounds with bottled water (that we buy at Big Lots for under 20¢ each). We usually get 4 or 5 bottles in each suitcase. Needless to say at the ship's price for a bottle of water the scale has paid for itself in water alone.:p

Poor little suitcase, sitting on a shelf, lonely, waiting, hoping for someone to come along and give it a home...

(Just tryin' to help you decide what to do.). ;)

It's not sitting there all lonely and blue anymore. Got the sucker and it is pretty, sparkly and light weight. It is made by London Fog! Color me happy. Now if a little birdie would go get the bigger one, I'd really be happy.

Don't forget to take the batteries out of your scales between trips....otherwise you might be disappointed next time you want to use it.

Oh NOW you tell me:eek: - thanks - better late than never - on my to do list tomorrow:D

One advantage for working on the ramp and loading luggage is I'm a very good judge of weights.

I can pack and lift and know if it's close or over 50lbs.

My mother is bad about overpacking at times and I told her that the bag was too heavy. Sure enough it was 5 pounds over. Since then, my parents let me lift their bags to check the weights

But if my largest bag is anywhere close to 50 lbs. I can hardly lift it up and keep it steady while I weigh.

My back doctor limits me to 10#!:eek: (Maybe because I'll go over it but be careful. If DW looks like it's very heavy, I say "Take something out".

We travel much lighter now, :rolleyes:

They are good, we have that, although weighing yourself and then having someone hand you the suitcase works, too.

I have some great pressed plastic zipper closed spinners that were inexpensive (big French supermarket) I love them, and they are really light.

When buying luggage take your portable scales with you, none of us wants a suitcase that weighs half our baggage allowance!

Question: last day on ship. You find out you are overweight. Er, your bag is overweight. What do you do with the extra stuff?

And airlines: why not weigh the passenger AND the bag? If I weigh 200 lbs and you weigh 150, shouldn't you get to use that extra 50 lbs on your luggage?

LOL!

Archived