Fish Fry - Nassau - Safe?

Retiringworkingstiff

We will be docked at Nassau December 6, 2013 which is a Friday (Carnival Breeze).

Like to try doing lunch at this area called Fish Fry.

Lately, some cruise companies are warning their passengers not to stray away too far from the ship while docked at Nassau for safety reasons.

Anyone been at the Fish Fry lately, are there usually a fair number of cruise passengers around (a couple of hundred?).

On that day, I noted by checking Cruistimetables Carnival Fantasy and Freedom will be there on the same time slot.

Thanks in advance and any and all advice will be appreciated.

We will be docked at Nassau December 6, 2013 which is a Friday (Carnival Breeze).

Like to try doing lunch at this area called Fish Fry.

Lately, some cruise companies are warning their passengers not to stray away too far from the ship while docked at Nassau for safety reasons.

Anyone been at the Fish Fry lately, are there usually a fair number of cruise passengers around (a couple of hundred?).

On that day, I noted by checking Cruistimetables Carnival Fantasy and Freedom will be there on the same time slot.

Thanks in advance and any and all advice will be appreciated.

THe Fish Fry is along the tourist corridor and is safe during business hours.

No reason to stay away from any area that is frequented by tourist.

The crime issue is generally "over the hill" in the residential areas.

As a general rule, as in any other city with 1000's of strangers milling about.. be aware of your surroundings, don't flash cash or jewelry, and stay where you can be seen by others.

As a general rule, as in any other city with 1000's of strangers milling about.. be aware of your surroundings, don't flash cash or jewelry, and stay where you can be seen by others.

Thanks so much Scubagirrl.

I think it's a GO for us then.

We had to go "over the hill" on a tour that ended up at Atlantis. It was a detour from construction. Do not go over there. It is sad to see people living so poorly not far from Atlantis. Just like in any city, do not go down side streets or alleys for a shortcut.

We went to Andro's fish fry and it was ok. Price was cheap as we paid $3 for 10 conch fritters. That was actually enough for both of us. They tasted ok as I felt there could have been more conch in them. My wife liked the canned champagne punch there

We went to Andro's fish fry and it was ok. Price was cheap as we paid $3 for 10 conch fritters. That was actually enough for both of us. They tasted ok as I felt there could have been more conch in them.

Next time we will try the cracked conch or conch strips.

My wife liked the canned champagne punch there

Thanks racerboy88 for your additional input.

Looks like you are from Vancouver, I would imagine Fish Fry standard can't match those of Vancouver eating establishments.

I do like to try fresh grouper (sp) that I believe some of the Fish Fry restaurants have to offer, hope pan fried them as opposed to deep fried.

Thanks again.

It's been a few years (2010) since we were there but we walked to the Fish Fry area from the port. Took about 15-20 minutes but was a nice walk along the water. We ate at Oh Andros and had a fantastic meal. The conch fritters were excellent, as well as the conch ceviche. We also had the fried red snapper I believe. It was a whole fish with the head and tail. It was very lightly breaded and I would say pan fried. It was unbelievable! Not what we are used to in the US when you think fried fish. And the local beer was excelent and plentiful. Which may have contributed to my husband eating the fish eyes.:eek:

Just realized I didn't really answer your initial question. It was in 2010 that we were there but at no point did we feel unsafe walking there or back. There were 4 of us walking together and other people walking about doing the same.

We are headed back to Nassua in February and as of now plan on going to the Fish Fry again. We may try Goldies Conch House this time, as I have read good things about it.

Just realized I didn't really answer your initial question. It was in 2010 that we were there but at no point did we feel unsafe walking there or back. There were 4 of us walking together and other people walking about doing the same.

We are headed back to Nassua in February and as of now plan on going to the Fish Fry again. We may try Goldies Conch House this time, as I have read good things about it.

Tkx for the info.

Now fish eyes, that sounds like a real "adventurous" treat, I'll bet it's real nutritious though!

Another Martini please, make it a triple!

Hi Scubagirrl:

We are also thinking of visiting Graycliff Hotel and the distillery near that hotel + having lunch at Fish Fry.

Are those places relatively close to each other?

Hi Scubagirrl:

We are also thinking of visiting Graycliff Hotel and the distillery near that hotel + having lunch at Fish Fry.

Graycliffs and the distillery are very close to each other. The Fish Fry is a 15 minute walk. It's an easy walk..

We have been to three different restaurants at the Fry and all of them were Great. We must make it a point to go, every cruise that includes Nassau. Want to try Goldies next month. Nassau is Da Bomb! :D

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk 2

Hi Scubagirrl:

Wow! I have been researching a little on the Graycliff and John Watlings Distillery, for our up coming cruise on the Fascination (CCL), next month.

The Fish Fry is a given for us. We just Love that place.

Ardastra Gardens is a good place to see too!

Now, if the days will just speed up a bit, and get closer to our sailing:)

We have never been to Junkanoo, either, it is on our list too.

We will be in port from 9am-8pm, so that will help us get some cool stuff done!

There is plenty to do in Nassau, for the life of me, I can't understand why you would want to stay on the ship??? Most of the fun stuff can be done on the cheap!:D

Fish Eyes, anyone??? Yummy stuff from the Fish Fry.... Grouper & Snapper, and Kalik!!!

006_zps929f499e.jpg

Here is another shot looking down one of the streets there......

008_zps1ef36a1b.jpg

Wow! I have been researching a little on the Graycliff and John Watlings Distillery, for our up coming cruise on the Fascination (CCL), next month.

The Fish Fry is a given for us. We just Love that place.

Ardastra Gardens is a good place to see too!

Now, if the days will just speed up a bit, and get closer to our sailing:)

We have never been to Junkanoo, either, it is on our list too.

We will be in port from 9am-8pm, so that will help us get some cool stuff done!

There is plenty to do in Nassau, for the life of me, I can't understand why you would want to stay on the ship??? Most of the fun stuff can be done on the cheap!:D

We were just in Nassau earlier this month on the Fascination and loved almost every moment of it (Senor Frogs was the only disappointment and we left after one drink). We couldn't imagine anyone not wanting to get off of the ship there!

Among many other things, we had planned to visit both Graycliff and John Watlings Distillery. We ended up spending nearly two hours at Graycliff when a young lady in a pirate costume offered us a tour of the grounds. The bad news is, as a result, we never made it to the distillery. The good news is that the tour was absolutely amazing and we loved every moment of it! If you have time for the tour, I would highly recommend it. Afterward we tipped her as we were leaving and she seemed genuinely surprised and grateful.

We enjoyed Nassau so much that we've booked another cruise in February with an overnight stop and we will definitely be visiting the distillery this time around.

Regarding the OP's question, we walked from the cruise port to Fish Fry and never once felt uncomfortable in any way. The walk along Junkanoo was really enjoyable. There were three of us and we stopped at the Bikini Tiki to take advantage of their 3 beers + 3 shots for $9.99. We absolutely loved that place! Byron made sure that all of his customers felt welcome and he wanted to make sure that everyone was enjoying themselves. I would definitely recommend stopping there for a visit along the way if you do walk over to Fish Fry.