Accessible Transport from MCO

kitty9

I posted this on the Ports of Call area and didn't get any help other than to "rent a car", despite the fact that my post said I needed a vehicle with either a lift or ramp. So, here goes. Does anyone know if MCO has taxis or other transport vehicles that can handle my scooter, similar to the taxis that are available at the Ft Lauderdale Airport?

Mears has some Entervans and/or MV1's in their fleet, and if you want a shared ride, some of their buses have lifts. You do need to arrange in advance or be prepared to wait. You will not be allowed to ride on the scooter, you will have to transfer to a seat. That is a DOT regulation. Yes, I know these things, I am licensed to drive one of those buses, with passengers--although I do not do so, nor do I have any financial interest nor am I an employee of Mears or any of their subsidiaries or partners.

Darcie, I don't know where you are planning to stay for your Orlando Disney visit, but I strongly recommend one of the Disney resort hotels (on property hotels).

Almost all of the Disney resort hotels (if not all of them) offer FREE transportation from the airport to the Disney hotel called Magic Express transportation. You would need to call ahead to reserve unless you are willing to wait for quite a while, but they do have Magic Express buses with wheelchair lifts, so it would accommodate your scooter. It is a great free service and after they get your to your hotel check in, they actually take your luggage to your room. Also, Disney offers free transportation to the different parks from their hotels and their buses are lift equipped.

The Disney hotel might be more expensive than what you had booked, but we found that the complimentary transportation helped to equalize that cost. And it was much easier to get to the parks from the hotel than depending on a hotel to send a lift equipped shuttle.

I really think that all of the Disney hotels offer this, but you could check with the ones you are interested in booking to confirm. The Disneyworld website has information on this. You can also do a search for Disney's Magical Express.

When you are ready to check out, you call them and they pick up your luggage and bring it to the main desk for the Magic Express bus back to the airport. I am assuming that you would be going back to the airport for a pre-cruise transfer through the cruise line. If not and you are needing a ride to the port area, you might want to consider that because while Mears is a good service to use for other areas in Orlando, we found it quite expensive to go to Port Canaveral--it was actually cheaper to go back to the airport and take the cruise line transportation (which if you reserve ahead of time they will provide a wheelchair lift bus (although sometimes this is messed up too and you have to wait until they bring the right bus).

All of the Disney owned and operated hotels offer Magical Express, and they will gladly provide an accessible motor coach.

Additionally it is much easier to get to and from the parks with Disney transportation than with the shuttles provided by area hotels which often only run a few times a day.

If you are sailing with Disney, they offer (for a fee) motor coach service from their hotels to the port. Otherwise you can use their free DME service back to the airport and take a shuttle from there.

This is great info. The last time I was at Disney, the buses from the airport weren't accessible. That will be the way we go. Since we're staying at the Grand Floridian, it will work out great for us. We're not doing a Disney cruise, but another one out of Tampa, so I'll reserve Mears for that.

Now, if we can only stop Disney from changing their policy on the disabled and their attractions. Too bad some idiots ruined it for all of us.

Thanks to everyone.

My own mobility scooter folds up, and we just put it under the magical express bus in luggage area, and I climbed the steps. Do call wdw transportation to double check on how the do your scooter type. My travel scooter is not up to the full day park jaunt-bumps hurt-so we rented a larger scooter for the week from The Best Price Company. (Brand new pride with captain head rest, yay! travel scooters are perfect for cruising, though. wdw bus system is fully assessable and everything but a few small boats can be ridden by scooter users. This was the first time in a while we were off the monorail and regretted it. We were at the lovely, quite and comfy port orleans French Quarter, buses were easy but it is tedious getting some places in wdw..up to hour and half once.

Thanks OldinJersey. I have the big Pride scooter and it works great with the huge, heavy duty battery. I can't climb stairs, so that type of bus option won't work for me. When I called to reserve transportation, I made sure to tell them that I'm a full time scooter person.

But boy, it was tough finding a room with a roll in shower. They have quite a number of accessible rooms at the hotels, but apparently not that many with roll in showers.

Disney has their own busses to the port that are fully equipped with a lift. It is $35 each way, per person from MCO to the port. I'm using it next month. Are you staying the night before at the MCO Hyatt?

No. We're at the Grand Floridian for four days before a non-Disney cruise out of Tampa.

Archived