Stateroom equivalents compared to RCI?

RSLeesburg

I am trying to scout out future cruise options. For next year, we are leaning towards a second cruise on Grandeur, as we loved our first cruise on her this year. However, I would like to look at some other options. I have heard some good things about DCL, but not sure if I understand the cabin types correctly. We have sailed in Grand Suite on RCI, and loved the perks. What would be compatible cabin on DCL. Our GS was 353 sq ft plus 107 sq ft balcony. From what I can see, DCL only shows combined sq footage...

The standard balcony on a "deluxe" cabin (which all verandah cabins are!) is 54 sq. feet. The cabin is 214 sq. feet with the split bath feature.

If you move up to a suite, both the cabin and the balcony are bigger. The one bedroom suite with verandah is 614 sq. feet. This is bigger than what you had on RCCL as your figures would give you 460 sq. feet. Thus, there is really nothing on the Magic or Wonder that is comparable to what you had--you can have larger or smaller.

There is more variation in the Dream/Fantasy cabins, but again, nothing about the size of your RCCL booking. You can have bigger or smaller on DCL, but not really that size.

The standard balcony on a "deluxe" cabin (which all verandah cabins are!) is 54 sq. feet. The cabin is 214 sq. feet with the split bath feature.

If you move up to a suite' date=' both the cabin and the balcony are bigger. The one bedroom suite with verandah is 614 sq. feet. This is bigger than what you had on RCCL as your figures would give you 460 sq. feet. Thus, there is really nothing on the Magic or Wonder that is comparable to what you had--you can have larger or smaller.

There is more variation in the Dream/Fantasy cabins, but again, nothing about the size of your RCCL booking. You can have bigger or smaller on DCL, but not really that size.[/quote']

Thanks. That explains why I could not find something. It sounds like the one bedroom suites are somewhat equivalent to the Owners Suite on Royal - they are about that size. However, there is still a huge price difference that I am not understanding - I did a mock booking for Thanksgiving next year, out of PC, on Magic and Freedom, and there is a $5,000 difference for the same 7 day trip. Is there something extra that Disney is including that I am missing?

All the suites on DCL are concierge level with the many services and perks associated with the high cost. Don't know if suites on RCCL are concierge.

However, DCL is typically the more costly line, especially at holiday times. And before you ask--because there are people who will pay it.

Although there are always a number of children on DCL, there are even more over holidays. Many parents find it just works better to cruise then so the prices are much higher. We cruised Disney on December 15th last year. The following week (which would include Christmas) was at least 75% more.

Even on a non-holiday week you will find Disney more expensive than RCI. The entertainment, included sodas, bring on as much liquor as you want, larger cabins, fireworks at sea, etc. all lead to higher prices.

All the suites on DCL are concierge level with the many services and perks associated with the high cost. Don't know if suites on RCCL are concierge.

However' date=' DCL is typically the more costly line, especially at holiday times. And before you ask--because there are people who will pay it.[/quote']

Yes. All the suites I have mentioned are Conierge level, and from what I can tell, have the same level of perks. I thought perhaps DCL had dedicated bulter or something that was justifying the higher cost - almost 40 percent more for the same size/category of cabin. That does seem excessively high; however, that being said, I have noticed that Royal does not seem to have the same premium on Thanksgiving cruises that they do for their Christmas and New Years cruises. I will need to check on a non-holiday week to see if the prices are more comparable. :D

Although there are always a number of children on DCL, there are even more over holidays. Many parents find it just works better to cruise then so the prices are much higher. We cruised Disney on December 15th last year. The following week (which would include Christmas) was at least 75% more.

Even on a non-holiday week you will find Disney more expensive than RCI. The entertainment, included sodas, bring on as much liquor as you want, larger cabins, fireworks at sea, etc. all lead to higher prices.

OK. I see the differences now - just checked on a non-holiday week, and the DCL prices are much more comparable to RCI for the suite - DCL is about $800 more for their one bedroom suite compared to the OS on Freedom for the same week for the same length cruise. That is more what I was expecting, not a $5000 difference. I don't mind paying a little more for better entertainment and fireworks :D

But, if DCL is getting those outrageous rate increases over Thanksgiving, maybe someione should send Adam an email and let him know his prices are too low...:eek:

Two big differences...

First, a true PRIVATE bedroom. The suites on RCCL often only have a curtain for privacy. The one I saw on the Mariner was simply an oversized stateroom. Two, the master bath is much larger and more luxurious than the ones on RCCL, right down to the TV in the mirror.

I am trying to scout out future cruise options. For next year, we are leaning towards a second cruise on Grandeur, as we loved our first cruise on her this year. However, I would like to look at some other options. I have heard some good things about DCL, but not sure if I understand the cabin types correctly. We have sailed in Grand Suite on RCI, and loved the perks. What would be compatible cabin on DCL. Our GS was 353 sq ft plus 107 sq ft balcony. From what I can see, DCL only shows combined sq footage...

I have been in both Grand Suites and Owners suites on RCCL. I also have been in the 1 Bedroom Concierge suite on both the Disney Dream and Fantasy and the Disney one bedroom is far superior to even the Owners suite on RCCL. The bathroom on the Disney is huge with a giant air bubble tub and separate shower. The cabins decor is far superior to RCCL. Don't get me wrong the RCCL suites are nice and actually I prefer the Grand Suites over the Owners suite because the owners suite is almost all living room as you know. Great for entertaining groups but thats not our style. The Disney layout is much better layout for my money but they are more expensive. The Disney concierge is a bit more personal than on RCCL but not a butler like we had on NCL.

Two big differences...

First, a true PRIVATE bedroom. The suites on RCCL often only have a curtain for privacy. The one I saw on the Mariner was simply an oversized stateroom. Two, the master bath is much larger and more luxurious than the ones on RCCL, right down to the TV in the mirror.

Yes. That does bother me a bit - no separate bedroom. We almost switched to Celebrity Summit because it had true one bedroom, which is one of the things my wife really wanted. Although, we did just fine with the setup of the GS.

I have been in both Grand Suites and Owners suites on RCCL. I also have been in the 1 Bedroom Concierge suite on both the Disney Dream and Fantasy and the Disney one bedroom is far superior to even the Owners suite on RCCL. The bathroom on the Disney is huge with a giant air bubble tub and separate shower. The cabins decor is far superior to RCCL. Don't get me wrong the RCCL suites are nice and actually I prefer the Grand Suites over the Owners suite because the owners suite is almost all living room as you know. Great for entertaining groups but thats not our style. The Disney layout is much better layout for my money but they are more expensive. The Disney concierge is a bit more personal than on RCCL but not a butler like we had on NCL.

Thanks for the comparison. I think my initial issue was the sticker shock for Thanksgiving week - the OS price was increased roughly $1K for the holiday, but the DCL suite went up roughly $5K for the same week. But when not cruising during the holidays, the prices are more comparable, and YES, I would pay the slighter higher prices for nicer decor, bigger bathroom, and true bedroom :)

PS: I also prefer GS over OS.

I am not sure what they are talking about when they say "true private bathroom". Also something about curtains? LOL.... Every RCCL suite I have been in had a solid bathroom door, tub shower and dual sinks! It doesn't get any more private than that!

I am not sure what they are talking about when they say "true private bathroom". Also something about curtains? LOL.... Every RCCL suite I have been in had a solid bathroom door, tub shower and dual sinks! It doesn't get any more private than that!

Bedroom, not bathroom. The master bedroom in the DCL suites has an actual door. It's not just an area cordoned off with curtains as it is in most of the suites on RCCL.

I've sailed in the Presidential on the Mariner and. 1BR on the Dream and the Magic. The Presidential was a lot if wasted space, and not thoughtfully laid out. Additionally it was in disrepair and shameful that RCCL would continue to book it until several much needed repairs were made.

To be honest, of all of them I have a strong preference for the 1BR on the Magic. It had the best layout. We loved the wet bar, the stereo system, the walk-in closet plus additional closets, and the ability to access the balcony from the bedroom directly.

The one bedroom suite on DCL is significantly larger than the Grand Suite on Royal. It is almost 200 square feet larger! True' date=' it is more comparable to higher priced suites on RCI, but that's not what OP asked about.[/quote']

You are correct - my original request was if DCL had an equivalent to the Grand Suite (GS) on RCI. You informed me that it didn't - however, what you may not be aware of is that the GS is a full concierge level suite, which gets all the perks that come with the one bedroom suite on Disney, so it may be much smaller, but it is not a standard stateroom.

In terms of the Owners Suite (OS) on RCI, this is more comparable, at least in size and price, to the one bedroom suite. This is also important information to know, as it gives me a point of comparison. We almost booked an OS for our first cruise until the kind folks on CC pointed out that we could get all the same perks with the GS. As we are only a family of three - mom, dad, and 3 y/o son, we really did not need all the room within the OS, so we saved some $ by going with the GS.

So, while I was interested in a GS equivalent initially, I am also interested in the OS to one bedroom suite comparisons too. I am not sure I would ever book an OS, as the extra space (as pointed out) is mostly living room - but, I would definitely consider a larger suite that separate bedroom with a door.

You are correct - my original request was if DCL had an equivalent to the Grand Suite (GS) on RCI. You informed me that it didn't - however, what you may not be aware of is that the GS is a full concierge level suite, which gets all the perks that come with the one bedroom suite on Disney, so it may be much smaller, but it is not a standard stateroom.

In terms of the Owners Suite (OS) on RCI, this is more comparable, at least in size and price, to the one bedroom suite. This is also important information to know, as it gives me a point of comparison. We almost booked an OS for our first cruise until the kind folks on CC pointed out that we could get all the same perks with the GS. As we are only a family of three - mom, dad, and 3 y/o son, we really did not need all the room within the OS, so we saved some $ by going with the GS.

So, while I was interested in a GS equivalent initially, I am also interested in the OS to one bedroom suite comparisons too. I am not sure I would ever book an OS, as the extra space (as pointed out) is mostly living room - but, I would definitely consider a larger suite that separate bedroom with a door.

On RCCL the suites with a bedroom separated by a door are limited. The vast majority are only a curtain. That's why we ended up in the Presidential, it was the ONLY option on the Mariner with an actual door.

On RCCL the suites with a bedroom separated by a door are limited. The vast majority are only a curtain. That's why we ended up in the Presidential, it was the ONLY option on the Mariner with an actual door.

You must mean the Royal suite. There is no Presidential suite on the Mariner. Those can be found only on the Freedom and Oasis class.

You must mean the Royal suite. There is no Presidential suite on the Mariner. Those can be found only on the Freedom and Oasis class.

Yes, sorry. It was the largest suite on the ship and the only one with a bedroom separated by a door and two bathrooms.

Yes, sorry. It was the largest suite on the ship and the only one with a bedroom separated by a door and two bathrooms.

Yes. I knew which one you meant - but Mariner is also one of the oldest ships out there :). Their idea of suites in the older ships was simply more space - only the newer ships have the embraced the concept of separate bedrooms. The Grandeur is what 19 years old. It would not be fair to compare her to the newer ships, although in a way, that is what I am doing...lol

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Yes. Big time.

The magical experience that is unique to Disney, although not everyone can justify the extra $, however much that is.

That "Pixie Dust" doesn't come cheap. They've got a lab in Burbank cranking the stuff out but demand remains high and dwarf labor isn't easy to come by since that Mine Train attraction started hiring.

Archived