Is ESTA required

tomuk

Hi all,

I plan to make my first back to back transatlantic crossing soon and was wondering if I require an ESTA. The turn around time is very short so I don't intend to go ashore in NY if this is possible?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Hi all,

I plan to make my first back to back transatlantic crossing soon and was wondering if I require an ESTA. The turn around time is very short so I don't intend to go ashore in NY if this is possible?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Hi tomuk,

Yes, you do, sorry. You may even be turned away at check-in in Southampton if you haven't got one.

Best wishes,

Hi all, I plan to make my first back to back transatlantic crossing soon and was wondering if I require an ESTA. The turn around time is very short so I don't intend to go ashore in NY if this is possible?Any advise would be appreciated.

It makes no difference if a passenger decides to go ashore or not. You are "in" the USA once the ship enters US territorial waters. You will be denied boarding in Southampton if you don't have all the required travel documentation for the US.

Also in US ports, US Homeland Security will require that the ship be cleared of ALL passengers before embarking passengers can begin to board. In transit passengers who choose not to go ashore in NY will have to wait in a lounge within the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal until given the OK to re-board. UK authorities don't require this in Southampton, but US authorities do require this in NY.

Official US government ESTA link: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/esta/

Edited by BlueRiband

• 1 year later...

On 3 November, this change to ESTA requirements was announced:

"Effective today, those seeking to travel to the United States from countries in our Visa Waiver Program (VWP) will be required to provide additional data fields of information in the travel application submitted via the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). The new information sought includes additional passport data, contact information, and other potential names or aliases. We are taking this step to enhance the security of the Visa Waiver Program, to learn more about travelers from countries from whom we do not require a visa. We are also confident these changes will not hinder lawful trade and travel between our Nation and our trusted foreign allies in the Visa Waiver Program." - copied from http://www.dhs.gov/news/2014/11/03/statement-secretary-johnson-security-enhancements-visa-waiver-program

There was a lady a few months ago on QM2 who had no Esta, she was trying to obtain one through Connexions, during the passage. She did not have a Credit Card either !

Do not know the end result. But Hopefully Cunard sorted her out and billed her through her payment method. :rolleyes:

On 3 November, this change to ESTA requirements was announced:

"Effective today, those seeking to travel to the United States from countries in our Visa Waiver Program (VWP) will be required to provide additional data fields of information in the travel application submitted via the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). The new information sought includes additional passport data, contact information, and other potential names or aliases. We are taking this step to enhance the security of the Visa Waiver Program, to learn more about travelers from countries from whom we do not require a visa. We are also confident these changes will not hinder lawful trade and travel between our Nation and our trusted foreign allies in the Visa Waiver Program." - copied from http://www.dhs.gov/news/2014/11/03/statement-secretary-johnson-security-enhancements-visa-waiver-program

I obtained one in April 2014 to travel in January 2015 does this mean I need another ?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I obtained one in April 2014 to travel in January 2015 does this mean I need another ?

I'm sorry, Lady49Monet, I don't know. But if you go to the US Customs & Border Control web page, there is a link to e-mail questions pertaining to ESTA: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1756/kw/esta/session/L3RpbWUvMTQxNTIzNDA5Ny9zaWQvbjJsZDNJNm0%3D -S.

An ESTA is unbelievably cheap and easy to obtain online instantly. It costs $14 and is valid for two years, so you don't have to reapply for each trip within that window. If you are unsure of when your ESTA expires you can go on the US govt. ESTA website and retrieve your details very easily using your passport number, date of birth and name.

Make sure you apply through the official US Govt. website because I have heard there are plenty of unscrupulous scammers out there that will charge a big fee to make the application on your behalf when there is really no need whatsoever. Details here: http://canberra.usembassy.gov/esta_scam.html

An ESTA is unbelievably cheap and easy to obtain online instantly. It costs $14 and is valid for two years, so you don't have to reapply for each trip within that window. If you are unsure of when your ESTA expires you can go on the US govt. ESTA website and retrieve your details very easily using your passport number, date of birth and name.

Make sure you apply through the official US Govt. website because I have heard there are plenty of unscrupulous scammers out there that will charge a big fee to make the application on your behalf when there is really no need whatsoever. Details here: http://canberra.usembassy.gov/esta_scam.html

Thank you I will check. It did cost $14. I applied my self it was straight forward. I think it should be ok otherwise I think they would contact all current ESTA holders to advise that they need to update. Thanks for the heads up S.

Thank you I will check. It did cost $14. I applied my self it was straight forward. I think it should be ok otherwise I think they would contact all current ESTA holders to advise that they need to update. Thanks for the heads up S.

Lady49Monet, yes I agree that you should be ok - perhaps just needing to respond to those additional questions on the new form prior to entry. I'm sorry that things are this way. Regards, -S.

Lady49Monet, yes I agree that you should be ok - perhaps just needing to respond to those additional questions on the new form prior to entry. I'm sorry that things are this way. Regards, -S.[/

I am sure it will be fine if not I will reapply. US is only protecting its boarders.

Presently when you retrieve your previously submitted Authorized Authorisation to travel

you can only update your email address or Address whilst in the USA

It would appear that presently the additional information required since 3rd November is only required by New Applications.

Edited by Pennbank

Presently when you retrieve your previously submitted Authorized Authorisation to travel

you can only update your email address or Address whilst in the USA

It would appear that presently the additional information required since 3rd November is only required by New Applications.

I have just been looking at my application on the ESTA site; It has not asked me for any further information, it has my email and can contact me direct if they wish for further information. If they wish to ask me further questions when I get there, that is fine also. I think this applies for new applications, although they have not made that clear on their site.

• 2 weeks later...

Just been following Capnpug's B2B TA blog on QM2 and thought I would pass this on. He said that Cunard required a printed copy of his ESTA stating,

"it seems that our cousins have changed the rules and instructed the embarkation staff to view the document physically or they will fine Cunard $4,000."

Seems like we should receive an email or such from Cunard telling us this is a requirement so we don't have to scramble at check-in or onboard. Just in case though, I went to the US ESTA website, retrieved my application and printed it.

Just been following Capnpug's B2B TA blog on QM2 and thought I would pass this on. He said that Cunard required a printed copy of his ESTA stating,

"it seems that our cousins have changed the rules and instructed the embarkation staff to view the document physically or they will fine Cunard $4,000."

Seems like we should receive an email or such from Cunard telling us this is a requirement so we don't have to scramble at check-in or onboard. Just in case though, I went to the US ESTA website, retrieved my application and printed it.

I printed ours off at the time. You never know if the electronic world will let you down.

..."it seems that our cousins have changed the rules and instructed the embarkation staff to view the document physically or they will fine Cunard $4,000."

Kind of negates the whole purpose of an Electronic System for Travel Authorization, doesn't it? :confused:

The problem is that you are attempting to enter the US legally from the UK rather than illegally from Mexico.:mad:

Kind of negates the whole purpose of an Electronic System for Travel Authorization, doesn't it? :confused:

I know...it's awful. When I went to the ESTA website it states, "DHS recommends you print this screen for your records but you will not be required to present a copy of your authorization in order to travel".(I highlighted). I had to print out a copy of that page too just in case I felt like showing it to Cunard at embarkation to prove a point.:p

I know...it's awful. When I went to the ESTA website it states, "DHS recommends you print this screen for your records but you will not be required to present a copy of your authorization in order to travel".(I highlighted). I had to print out a copy of that page too just in case I felt like showing it to Cunard at embarkation to prove a point.:p

I am not sure why we are being asked to present a print out version on boarding it maybe to reassure Cunard rather than U.S. security. I can imagine a scenario whereby somebody states they have applied but the system is not showing the application. Maybe we need to hire a gang master from Mexico to get us through😱😉

I am not sure why we are being asked to present a print out version on boarding it maybe to reassure Cunard rather than U.S. security. I can imagine a scenario whereby somebody states they have applied but the system is not showing the application. Maybe we need to hire a gang master from Mexico to get us through

Unfortunately, there are times when computer systems are down for various reasons - acts of nature, the result of nefarious actions on the part of hackers, sometimes simply because the port isn't properly wired and other human errors. Anyway, is it really that difficult to hit <print> after completing a form? Is not a printed record of important transactions de rigueur in the Internet Age?

Regarding illegal immigration from Mexico to the United States: no, I don't think the services of a 'coyote' would be appreciated by Cunard passengers such as yourself. It is a horrific situation where the vast majority of people being smuggled into the US through the Mexican border are starving, fearful of their life in their lawless country and are just looking for a better life - at the risk of horrible suffering on the way to cross the border. Here's one report: http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/perspectives/inside-the-coyote-s-den-a-look-at-how-smugglers/article_c7d438f8-a812-5fca-ae8c-5c4cea8e0f83.html

Edited by Salacia

Unfortunately, there are times when computer systems are down for various reasons - acts of nature, the result of nefarious actions on the part of hackers, sometimes simply because the port isn't properly wired and other human errors. Anyway, is it really that difficult to hit <print> after completing a form? Is not a printed record of important transactions de rigueur in the Internet Age?

Regarding illegal immigration from Mexico to the United States: no, I don't think the services of a 'coyote' would be appreciated by Cunard passengers such as yourself. It is a horrific situation where the vast majority of people being smuggled into the US through the Mexican border are starving, fearful of their life in their lawless country and are just looking for a better life - at the risk of horrible suffering on the way to cross the border. Here's one report: http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/perspectives/inside-the-coyote-s-den-a-look-at-how-smugglers/article_c7d438f8-a812-5fca-ae8c-5c4cea8e0f83.html

As I said I always print just in case the electronics let us down for whatever reason.

Apologies for the quip it was an attempt at humour but humour doesn't always travel well. I am fully aware of the desperate situation millions of people all over the world are forced to endure and resort to desperate measures to try and travel to richer countries for a better life. We also have desperate people risking their lives trying to get across the English Channel, there is an increasing number on a daily basis camped in France desperately trying to reach the UK; it is unknown how many people are drowning on a daily basis traveling to Europe from Africa. Unfortunately wherever you find desperation and misery there is always other individuals who will make money out of the situation.

No. You'll be fine. All changes are for new/renewed applications. It will be interesting to hear from future TA passengers regarding printed ESTA forms for Cunard passengers, especially as US border security are making it easier for visitors with ESTAs, who wish to see Mickey Mouse, to transit airport immigration with their SITA’s APC self-service kiosks, which means the long immigration queue is avoided.

Edited by Victoria2

Even though the information on the ESTA site says you don't need a printed copy of your acceptance, always take one. We have cruised TA's a few years on different cruiselines and have aways had to have a copy. The first time, in 2010, no amount of arguing that the site said you didn't need one would get you anywhere, though the cruiseline did allow you to either go online to get a print out, or try to do a new one. This was on a TA from Barcelona and the poor passengers were told if they hadn't managed to have the printed proof by Madeira that they would be off loaded. We were told that the cruiselines had just been told they had to have this printed proof.

As far as the round trip TA's they don't know that you won't be getting off the ship, you might change your mind anyway, so safer for Cunard to ask for it.

We have done cruises from America and always have to still show it, even though we have been accepted into the country in the first place.

? Is not a printed record of important transactions de rigueur in the Internet Age?

l]

Well, the whole idea I thought was to replace paper records with electronic ones.

Some records do indeed need to be backed up with a hard copy, but the ESTA system was set up and still remains, wholly electronic. You will not be asked for a piece of paper by US Customs.

The problem, as is quite often the case is Cunard's. They want proof that you hold an ESTA, in just the same way that they need to know that you have a passport or insurance. So it is mandatory that you complete the cruise personaliser adding details of both. However, people have in the past boarded the ship without obtaining an ESTA, or even being aware of its existence.

How simple is it to add a box for ESTAs and other visas required in the personaliser?

David.