How do you know which Second City is the family show?

Kristinemomof3

Thanks. Is it worth taking the kids early and then going late with dh one night?

Maybe. It all depends on how much you enjoy improv comedy. Since many of their skits rely on audience input/feedback, the skits do often vary. And obviously, the later show allows the performers more freedom as far as language and scenarios.

On the Dawn a couple of weeks ago they were very explicit in saying which shows were which -- both in the dailies and on stage. So even if you accidentally wander into the wrong one, they will announce before they begin. (Or did for us).

I believe on our second week the "adult" show was 8 pm in the Spinnaker, but they had had a general audience once in the Stardust already that week.

I'm not a prude in the least, but there were a couple of fairly raunchy moments in the adult show, and some borderline ones in the regular show. I wouldn't have a problem with my (imaginary) children of whatever age witnessing the risque bits of the regular show, but if you're the type of parent who's super cautious, you might want to err on the side of caution. Plus, I can't imagine pre-teens would enjoy it much anyway.

They said before the regular show that they would try to keep it clean, but sometimes things happen, so if you're super sensitive, live comedy might be a risk. It would be innuendo more than frank language, though. I don't recall any swearing in the adult show.

I went with DS-11 and DD-17 to the early show and it was really good. DD asked if she could go back again for the late show, and I went with her. (I wanted to see it too--I would've let her go alone since she's a level-headed mature gal who's also a drama/speech geek). I was pretty disappointed--the creativity we'd seen at the early show seemed to be replaced with an effort to work in as much genital slang as possible...wasn't nearly as funny. Kind of sad, but YMMV.

I went with DS-11 and DD-17 to the early show and it was really good. DD asked if she could go back again for the late show, and I went with her. (I wanted to see it too--I would've let her go alone since she's a level-headed mature gal who's also a drama/speech geek). I was pretty disappointed--the creativity we'd seen at the early show seemed to be replaced with an effort to work in as much genital slang as possible...wasn't nearly as funny. Kind of sad, but YMMV.

Thanks for this.

I actually think it takes more talent to wow an audience with comedy without using vulgarity.

Thanks everyone. Our family watches quite a bit of comedy, so we'll check it out.

Just my 2 cents worth: Even though you enjoy comedy, improve, like second city is very different and may not be enjoyable for the kids at all. I am not trying to discourage you from taking the kids, but I have seen many kids in 2nd City performances that were really bored. I would suggest you try and sit somewhere, that if the kids really do not enjoy it, you can exit easy. Good luck, we love 2nd City most of the time.

Archived