No powerboards allowed on RCI ships

rkmw

To add a little levity here because things are getting soooo serious..... does boiling blood and a boggled brain hurt ?? Furthermore' date=' I hope it is not contagious.[/quote']

They are called creative expressions. obviously the blood cannot boil or one would be dead.

I also agree that 4 pages is ridiculous for this thread.

The rules are there for our safety. A cruise line certainly does not go out of their way to make holidays miserable. They are in the business for providing a good holiday.

Are you a certified Electrician thied ? You are giving out dangerous information there.

As for pax admitting they take powerboards on board the ships, we need the Power Board Police now, to work alongside the Alcohol Police and Laundry Rage Police on the ships.

yes I would say we do.

before I answer that ,, are you a certified Electrician

as for the power board rules yes safety and to save money both are great things with useing less fuel helps with stop globle warming

Edited by thied

If he is, I would not call him to change the wire in a fuse. Just because an item says something like 10amp 5 watt does not mean it draws 10amp. It means it needs to be on a 10amp circuit and it draws 5 watt. Big difference.

5 watts draws .02083333333 of an amp

1200 watt hair dryer is 5 amps

Edited by thied

If he is, I would not call him to change the wire in a fuse. Just because an item says something like 10amp 5 watt does not mean it draws 10amp. It means it needs to be on a 10amp circuit and it draws 5 watt. Big difference.

if you still are useing fuses in your switch board i would be asking you to up grade it circit breakers and have your circits put there own ELCB which will be partied to the men

I don't give a flying fig about the amps...I just want to have a safe time onboard. If the cruise line has said its unsafe please don't,...then I believe them. Apart from the fire risk can you imagine the chaos if the sprinkler system went off. I'd feel like throwing the dolt that brought a power board on...overboard.:mad:

On a lighter note obviously this is a safety issue and the cruise line would do well to offer a safe alternative...

Sue

I don't give a flying fig about the amps...I just want to have a safe time onboard. If the cruise line has said its unsafe please don't,...then I believe them. Apart from the fire risk can you imagine the chaos if the sprinkler system went off. I'd feel like throwing the dolt that brought a power board on...overboard.:mad:

On a lighter note obviously this is a safety issue and the cruise line would do well to offer a safe alternative...

Sue

That is exactly my sentiment from the start. People fail to comprehend how dangerous it is.

Most passengers are creatures of habit and are likely to all get ready for dinner at the one time. So of every evening of a cruise there could be several hundred power boards plugged in with hairdryers and hair curlers/straighteners. Ships have peak times of power consumption as well and the bringing of power boards does not help one bit. Any wonder they are banned. Perhaps people will listen if the cruise line started evicting the passengers along with their restricted items.

• 2 months later...

I don't care about bringing a power board, but do need to bring an extension cord. DH needs to sleep using a CPAP machine or he stops breathing during his sleep. He needs to plug in the machine and have it close enough to the bed for the breathing hoses to reach his head. Most ships have their power points on the desk so we need an extension cord to allow the CPAP to reach the bed. I have advised the cruise lines we are traveling with this year that we will be bringing the machine on board and both (RCI and Celebrity) told me to bring my own extension cord and power board. We also travel with doctors letter in the case with the CPAP machine and power supplies. There will be uproar if they confiscate our extension cord! Happy if they provide us with one to use for the trip, but we certainly WILL need one or will be unable to board the ship as DH will stop breathing during his sleep...... For us it's not about charging cameras, phones, iPads etc etc but being able to survive the cruise!!

Hi we had a power board and some tools taken off us on our first ever cruise on the pacific sun a couple of years ago.

When we explained we used the power board to charge our foster daughters electric wheelchair and run her cpap machine they returned them with an apology we also carry some basic tools and cable ties and a roll of electrical tape to effect emergency repairs to the wheelchair and they said that they would hold them and we could access them any time we needed them, not much help when we were on shore lol but they returned them to our cabin that evening,

Overall the security were very understanding and accommodating, we cruised on the pacific jewel in march last year with all the same gear and no one batted an eyelid, mabe p&o had a note on our file ?

We are going to NZ on the Voyager in Feb and I hope I don't have any problems with there security as I know Americans get very excitable about security :eek: and I doubt they will be as relaxed as the P&O ones Let's hope common sense prevails. As a side note our power board, cpap and charger are all tagged and tested.

carfive, I suggest for your upcoming Voyager cruise you contact RC special needs dept ahead of time to ensure your needs are covered.

I paste here from the website - I hope it copies over correctly:

We welcome guests with disabilities and special needs and work hard to assist them throughout their holiday. To receive appropriate assistance, be sure to notify our Access Department in writing (fax: (+612) 4322 0326;

e-mail: special_needs@rccl.com )

I trust you have all bases covered, but I am thinking it is good to check. For example, Voyager has US and European plugs and power supply, so be sure your recharging will work. Also they should be able to supply you one of their power cords.

Enjoy Voyager :D

Thanks I will give them a ring regarding the equipment we will be bringing,

all our medical stuff will run on any voltage between 100 and 250 volts at 50 or 60 hertz so we will only need the correct adapters.

cant wait to experiance Voyager :D

I suggest for your upcoming Voyager cruise you contact RC special needs dept ahead of time to ensure your needs are covered. I paste here from the website - I hope it copies over correctly:

We welcome guests with disabilities and special needs and work hard to assist them throughout their holiday. To receive appropriate assistance, be sure to notify our Access Department in writing (fax: (+612) 4322 0326;

e-mail: special_needs@rccl.com )

Enjoy Voyager :D

Thanks for posting that. I emailed them and got a very prompt reply. I was advised to bring my own EU/AU adaptor, but they would provide an extension cord free of charge. Looking forward to Voyager in only 4 weeks!