cococay question

vikings52

We've always brought our own mask and snorkel but we rent the fins and vest.

Do they really require this safety vest? It seems to limit the depth you can go from videos I have seen. I have never seen this anywhere else.

Yes, you have to wear the vest but you don't have to inflate it. My husband dives down without any problems. I float even without a vest so I just stay on top. :)

We've always brought our own mask and snorkel but we rent the fins and vest.

Yes, you have to wear the vest but you don't have to inflate it. My husband dives down without any problems. I float even without a vest so I just stay on top. :)

Thanks for some reason I was thinking one of those vests you wear when fishing. Didnt even think about it :D

We just rented the vest in August. Be forewarned that the release valve for the vest sometimes got in my way for the snorkeling (one one of the types of vests). Twice it deflated when I was out in the water (over my head) and I had to blow it back up (over the course of an hour).

That being said its easy to let some air out to dive down a bit and pretty easy to blow it back up. I was just thankful I am a strong swimmer! I was not expecting it to happen!

I think it depends on where you are snorkeling as to whether or not they'll make you wear a vest. We had our own masks/snorkel/fins and went out from barefoot beach area and never had an issue, BUT there wasn't a lot to see other than quite a few conch and turtle grass, a few fish here or there.

I think if you go in the "snorkel area" where the mobs of people are snorkeling, they might make you rent one.