pre paid tips ? Why do some not pay

dramaqueenjan

I just wish the cruise industry would just make the gratuities mandatory and call it a service charge/resort fee or whatever. But they don't listen to me and the current system is what we have. So if Carnival allows people to remove the tips some will. Frankly, I don't care one iota why some people remove them - it's none of my business. If this 'non-tipping' ever became a real issue I'm pretty confident the Carnival people could figure something out to fix it. That's their job, not mine.

IM CHEAP!!! (otherwise i wouldnt be cruising with carnival:D) that said

I AGREE with this post ... I have never cruised before and was SHOCKED at the low price i paid for an eight day cruise... so although I have been advised by more experienced cruisers that i can remove the gratuity I WILL NOT!! i dont care who its goin to (coal burners or staff in restaurants i did not visit) if the boat stayed afloat... 12 bux a day aint much to ask for so all you OTHER cheapskates should stay home if you dont want to pay the ppl in charge of your life and limbs a living wage

Life and limbs now that is funny and true for the most part except on the costa Concordia where the captain is being tried for manslaughter!

Btw does anyone know of that verdict? I haven't been following it

I just wish the cruise industry would just make the gratuities mandatory and call it a service charge/resort fee or whatever. But they don't listen to me and the current system is what we have. So if Carnival allows people to remove the tips some will. Frankly, I don't care one iota why some people remove them - it's none of my business. If this 'non-tipping' ever became a real issue I'm pretty confident the Carnival people could figure something out to fix it. That's their job, not mine.

It does not matter what they call it as long they offer a way out. If they do, then the people who remove tips now will remove the "whatever they call it" later. It is their nature.

No, go back to the person I was quoting.

But if you're unsure of the tip breakdown, I can provide that for you.

I am fully aware of how they come up with the one number per person a day. I also understand their reference point of it not being a cruise (land based tipping vs cruise).

Actually I believe that is incorrect per the ships website

Just checked the Princess site only wait staff and house keeping get a share on the gratuities. Same on the RCI site.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Kamloops50

Just checked the Princess site only wait staff and house keeping get a share on the gratuities. Same on the RCI site.

Why would the Princess site be referenced when we are talking Carnival?

Why would the Princess site be referenced when we are talking Carnival?

Same parent company of course princess cruises are more expensive than carnival cruises. Princess is paying wages to crew and ccl is paying wages to crew via our tips. And apparantly princess waiters and stewards make much more via the auto tips

Edited by Crusin6

I agree, it's Carnival job to fix. These threads put some good posters in such bad light with the name calling. At some point we have to try and respect the fact that if an option is given then people have the right to take it. Some of the cruises are priced with the intent to get bodies on board knowing the crew might be SOL.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Edited by Blk_Amish

I agree, it's Carnival job to fix. These threads put some good posters in such bad light with the name calling. At some point we have to try and respect the fact that if an option is given then people have the right to take it. Some of the cruises are priced with the intent to get bodies on board knowing the crew might be SOL.

But where would all the fun be then?

RIght? You do something in a manner you're accustommed to, and you're called names and thrown into one bucket cause that can be the only reason why people do what they do.

If a restaurant ever wants to swipe my card to hold a 15% charge on my dinner before I even sit down, I guess I'll be calle a slur there as well.

My comment was referring to the carnival breakdown of tips not princess. Carnival shares it among more than just waiters and stewards

RIght? You do something in a manner you're accustommed to, and you're called names and thrown into one bucket cause that can be the only reason why people do what they do.

If a restaurant ever wants to swipe my card to hold a 15% charge on my dinner before I even sit down, I guess I'll be calle a slur there as well.

I really don't understand the analogy to a restaurant (other than there is food involved). Who called you names?

Restaurant. Tips. Take them up front.

Fill in the rest.

Cruise ship and a restaurant nothing even close to being comparable from a litanny of perspectives (other than my food comment) .....How did I do?:rolleyes: OBTW, how does a room stwerd come into play with a restaurant?

Cruise ship and a restaurant nothing even close to being comparable from a litanny of perspectives (other than my food comment) .....How did I do?:rolleyes: OBTW, how does a room stwerd come into play with a restaurant?

Bed and breakfast?

Don't wish to tip a stwerd up front either, whatever that is.