Rome hotel question

Pepc

Is anyone familiar with the Sheraton Golf Parco de' Medici Hotel & Resort in Rome?

We are on a cruise that leaves from Rome (Civitavecchia) and are booked at that hotel for the night before.

Does anyone know if there is a store within walking distance to the hotel where we can buy hair spray and other large liquid items that we can't take on the plane?

The hotel seems very far from downtown. The website does mention that they have a courtesy bus to the city but I'd prefer to just get a few items close to the hotel.

Thank you!

A little research on Tripadvisor found the following - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d231941-Reviews-Sheraton_Golf_Parco_de_Medici_Hotel_Resort-Rome_Lazio.html

Oh finally I should point out that this is a golf hotel, if you come for golf its probably fab, however apart from a hotel complex about half a mile away with a couple of low rent bars/restaurants there is nothing in the area but the hotel.

And this! ;)

This hotel is located 15 minutes from the airport but you must obtain a taxi or shared van ride to the hotel. However, for airport return there is 2 morning shuttle runs, cost 8 euros.

The shuttle has several daily runs to the city for 5 euros round trip as well as a few runs to the Euro2 mall for 3 euros. I recommend taking the mall trip and stocking up at the supermarket located on the lower level with drinks and snacks for your stay at the hotel. A small coke is 6 euros at the hotel and you can get a six pack for less at the grocery store, you can also pick up some nice wine for less than 5 euros. If your stay is just for a few days than I would not worry about it and take the shuttle to the city. If your time is extremely limited and or walking a lot is not good choice for you the shuttle drop off is only a few hundred feet away from the hop on hop off bus, which is always a good option for short trips.

Thank you very much for the research, Iamthesea!

I hope the mall has a store that sells hair spray (maybe the supermarket?) or I'll be spending a fortune at the beauty salon on board!

I do remember the last time we were in Rome that only certain type "cosmetic" stores sold it. You could not but it in a drug store.

Just curious, was this hotel booked through Celebrity for pre-cruise? Reason I ask is that in Sept we were in a Celebrity booked hotel also, that was a fair distance away from everything except the train station! Wondering if they have picked another?:confused:

You can probably get it at the little store on board vs. the salon. However, I usually just buy the travel sized ones to bring along--even if not my normal brand they're good enough for the short haul.

If you are going to Civitavecchia, you can take the free shuttle back to the port entrance once you check in and I'm sure you can find something in one of the stores in town.

You're welcome. However, I am curious why you are not just packing it in your checked luggage for your flight? Unless, you are taking carry-on, only.

I'll let Pepc speak for herself, but in our case, DW and I normally buy larger liquid items in the port city because they tend to be quite heavy. Space isn't an issue, but getting down to the allowable luggage weight is a struggle. :D

Archived