A day in Anchorage

QuiGonJohn

It looks like we will fly into Anchorage, arriving just after 6pm on Sat and will get a hotel for 2 nights. This gives us the evening on Sat, all day Sun, and Mon morning before our shuttle to Whittier.

I am looking for must-see's/must-do's for Anchorage, that will work within that time-frame. Prefer attractions in Anchorage itself. Not really looking for a tour to outlands, such as Denali.

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

It looks like we will fly into Anchorage, arriving just after 6pm on Sat and will get a hotel for 2 nights. This gives us the evening on Sat, all day Sun, and Mon morning before our shuttle to Whittier.

I am looking for must-see's/must-do's for Anchorage, that will work within that time-frame. Prefer attractions in Anchorage itself. Not really looking for a tour to outlands, such as Denali.

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

What are your interests? A "must see" for you could be an absolute bore for me and vice versa. Also, will you be renting a car? Are you arriving on Saturday from Florida? If so, you probably won't have much energy or desire to do much that evening. Plus, by the time you get your luggage and get to your hotel, it will probably be 8pm.

On Monday I strongly suggest you get to Whittier early enough to take a Prince William Sound cruise before your cruise ship departs.

Well I want to stick with things that are more unique to Alaska/Anchorage, so for example, probably not a zoo or aquarium. I really haven't begun exploring what attractions there are in Anchorage. Saturday evening I figure to get checked in and maybe go to dinner at some place that really has local character. Then most of our sightseeing on Sunday. Monday morning we may be able to do a little, as our shuttle doesn't pick us up until about noon.

Not planning on renting a car. The hotel we plan to stay at has an airport shuttle for pickup, and our Whittier shuttle will collect us when we head to the ship.

Edited by QuiGonJohn

One of the things on our list to do is the Alaska Native Heritage Center, you can check out their website and see if it's something you might be interested in. As far as dinner, Mooses Tooth and Humpys seem to be popular places to eat.

Not planning on renting a car. The hotel we plan to stay at has an airport shuttle for pickup, and our Whittier shuttle will collect us when we head to the ship.

Where is the hotel located? If not downtown you'll need to figure in the logistics and cost of getting there.

The hotel I am looking at is in downtown. I hope to be able to finalize flights and hotels in the next few days. Have to clear the timeframe with my wife's work first. Once the flights & hotels are booked, no backing out. Until then, we could always cancel the cruise and get our deposit back. As long as we do so before June.

Edited by QuiGonJohn

Suggestion: Visit http://www.anchorage.net they have a whole lot to do's in Anchorage.

There is an Anchorage Trolley- 1 hour leaves from the info center log cabin every hour. Goes to all tourist areas in Anchorage. ( you can go back afterwards)

Local day tours offered by: Salmon Berry or. 907 Tours - google them and visit there web sites. They cater to what you want in small groups.

Shopping downtown can be fun too.

Glaciers - a quick question if you don't mind. I looked all over that link you had to the weekend market in Anchorage, but couldn't find dates that it actually starts. Will be sailing on the HAL Amsterdam (again:D!) 14 day itinerary that has a port stop in Anchorage (7AM-11PM) on Sun., May 25th of 2014 (the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend). Do you know if the market will be up and running by then or does it not start operation until June? Thanks for you help.

I also see Humpy's is not that far. Moose's Tooth on the other hand seems far. But Glacier Brewhouse also seems fairly close.

They both will be within that ¼ to ½ mile range. The downtown area is very flat and easy to walk unless you head over the bluff down to the Ulu Factory by the train station or down to Bootleggers Cove which is a residential area.

Glaciers - a quick question if you don't mind. I looked all over that link you had to the weekend market in Anchorage, but couldn't find dates that it actually starts. Will be sailing on the HAL Amsterdam (again:D!) 14 day itinerary that has a port stop in Anchorage (7AM-11PM) on Sun., May 25th of 2014 (the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend). Do you know if the market will be up and running by then or does it not start operation until June? Thanks for you help.

Looks like they open on May 10, 2014 so you should be good to go! So nice to see the Amsterdam is making a port stop in Anchorage next year! I went down to Pt Woronzof a couple years ago and watched it round the point with Sleeping Lady in the background on a beautiful early morning.

Saturday or Sunday-the Market across from the Hilton. Alaskan food, artists', crafts. A hodgepodge of all things Alaska.

Next summer the Smithsonian will have an exhibit at the museum downtown. They collected tsunami debris from Japan than washed up on Alaskan shores this past summer. Some will be transformed into art. Tragedy -> Beauty.

The museum is a collection of exhibits to introduce you to the history and culture of Alaska. Always a good stop.

What are the hours for the market? I saw on the website there is entertainment until 6pm. Will be flying in On a Sunday and am wondering if we will be able to make it there. Thanks

The market will run from May 10 - September 7 in 2014 and is open from 10am-6pm.

Glaciers - thanx so much for doing that legwork for me and finding out when the market opens for 2014. Perfect! Looks like I'll finally be able to experience the market for myself next year. I also see you noted it is within 1/4 to 1/2 mile to downtown - how close is that to the Egan Center? I believe HAL offers a free shuttle from the ship to the Egan Center, so that may be an option and then just walk to the market from there. If not, there are several on our Roll Call who may be interested in sharing a cab from the port to the market, and then just hoofing it from there.

Yes, we're all thrilled that the Amsterdam will be doing this amazing 14 day itinerary again next year. I've done it twice in the past and it is a jackpot of excellent ports and port times. I was out on deck both times as we sailed up Cook Inlet to the city of Anchorage itself, and it was just magical. Had I known you'd be there, I'd have waved;).

The last two times on this itinerary, we rented a car and drove north to the Mat-Su Valley and then on to Big Lake. But this time I'll be staying in the city of Anchorage itself for our long port stop and I'm very excited to see and do the things we haven't had time for before. Thank you again for all your help - and everyone else who has offered some terrific suggestions for a day in Anchorage - much appreciated.

The Saturday Market is only a couple blocks from the Egan.

This was from June 2012 as the Amsterdam was rounding Pt Woronzof at about 7am on her way to Anchorage.

https://picasaweb.google.com/DelRockAlaska/November62011#5756894282917851666

Don't want to make this a photo thread but this is Denali from Anchorage at sunrise this morning.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-D_38lHA3kqA/UmgeRHWi5zI/AAAAAAAADqY/sDyvUb3Vtjo/s640/Denali.jpg

Edited by Glaciers

If a ship like that can actually go to Anchorage, why do most of the cruise lines use Seward or Whittier?

Time, money and geography. It takes an extra day to get to Anchorage since they need to sail all the way around the Kenai Peninsula. So it is easier and cheaper to dock in Seward or Whittier.

Time, money and geography. It takes an extra day to get to Anchorage since they need to sail all the way around the Kenai Peninsula. So it is easier and cheaper to dock in Seward or Whittier.
Also dock capacity and I believe water depth - many deep-draft vessels can't get into Anchorage.

• 3 weeks later...