Adventure of the Seas New Cruiser

m1ssn1kk1

Hi my Husband and I will be taking our first cruise December 1st of this year on the adventure of the seas out of Puerto Rico. Any advice for us about the ship or cruises in general. Thanks a lot these forums have been very helpful!

Where to start? We've been on AOS three times now, out of Puerto Rico. The first two times we flew in the day of, but this last time we flew in a day before and it was so much more relaxing. There are numerous hotels within a cab ride of the port, and it affords you the opportunity to pick up your two bottles of wine to bring along. Another plus is that the weather will be warm right away for the start of your cruise. We left our hotel around 10:30 a.m. for port, though you may receive messages from RCI not to show up until the afternoon for boarding.

Adventure is not the newest ship, but she is a nice size, particularly for a first cruise. She's still in good shape, overall, and we found the service (Jan. '13) to be good and the food likewise, on the whole. Note that you will need to request ice in your stateroom if you want it, and an ice bucket for your wine, if you need it. The "refrigerator" mini-bar does not keep beverages particularly cold.

On your arrival day, have workout clothes/swimsuits in a carry-on to bring with you since you will not get your checked larger luggage pieces until later in the day. You'll have to carry it around until you can get into your stateroom, officially around 1 p.m. You can change in the locker rooms off the fitness center, where there are also steam rooms and saunas (excellent for relaxing later on in the cruise).

You will be able to get lunch in the Windjammer (buffet) on arrival, or snacks/sandwiches/cookies/pastries at the Promenade Café (no charge for food; some beverages are extra charge). After lunch, you can explore the ship and familiarize yourself with what she has to offer. There's usually a giveaway/raffle in the spa that you might want to look into.

AOS has a lovely solarium with a small pool for lounging, and inside on the same deck is the fitness center and aforementioned locker rooms/sauna/steam room areas--good for refreshing or changing if you don't want to run back to your stateroom, depending on the location. The solarium is usually a quieter area than the main pool deck, and in the later afternoon/evening very quiet.

If you enjoy dining, rather than just grabbing a quick meal, there are sit-down and buffet options for breakfast and lunch in the main dining room on some days (usually days at sea).

Usually on the first formal night there is a captain's reception on the Promenade and sparkling wine and punch are offered free of charge. Also, sign up for RCI's crown and anchor society, if you haven't and plan to cruise with Royal more often.

If you enjoy art, AOS is loaded with it, mostly modern/contemporary and located throughout the public areas. The stairwells all have art installations, and the solarium has some sculptures and mosaics. Even the dining rooms can be quite interesting.

Let us know if you have specific questions you can't find the answers to on these boards otherwise, and enjoy your cruise! If you've taken the itinerary with lots of island stops, don't overdo it, or you'll be exhausted by the end of your cruise instead of refreshed.

Edited by CntPAcruiser

Thank you for the great review!! I do have one question we are contemplating getting the beverage package. Do you know if we can order drinks to our room with that? Thanks again!!

No, the beverage package does not include room service.

You will LOVE your cruise. Promise!

I would second the advice to come to Puerto Rico a day early (in order to make SURE you make the ship on time), but also to enjoy San Juan's lovely Old Town. Very cool place, they usually have dancers and people performing on the waterfront plaza, there are some great historical sites, such as the forts, and great food and nice people.

I think we stayed at a Wyndham?

Another time in San Juan (just a day stop on a cruise from somewhere else) my friend and I stopped at a random bar and though it was tiny, it was great fun. The bartender had a boombox playing latin music behind the bar, and when you came in she handed you a drum, or shakers, or a washboard, or other percussion instrument, and we all jammed. Every half hour or so someone would come out from the back with a tray of free appetizers. (The drinks were quite cheap too.)

We met people from all over the world that afternoon - one of my fondest cruise port memories!

I'll be on the Adventure on Sunday - but I have no doubt it's a great ship with great crew - as all RCI ships I've been on.

usually the second evening is first formal night. We have had the second formal night on the friday evening as well. Been on two back to back vacations on her and excellent choice for your cruise.

There is a great thread about the adventure also...just search for the adventure of the seas...

lots of great advice and experiences.

We live here in the northeast and we fly down a day early. While the ship may not depart until 830pm...muster drill is at 6pm and all aboard is before that for guests that went off the ship for the day doing consecutive cruising..

lots of great hotels in several different areas and the old San Juan is just a short cab ride away. We depart from the Pan Am Pier and not the one in old San Juan. Carnival is usually parked there for their departure.

We can't wait until the end of January for another great two weeks and Superbowl Sunday again!!

• 3 months later...

Hi

We are really new to cruisin'. Travelled many ,many places along with the islands... but.. what I want to say is :

We have visited Puerto Rico on 2 different trips (11-12 days each time). If you have the time - go early

- do the Old San Juan area

- the rainforest

-the fort

-The bio bay is AMAZING!!!! once in a life time experience - but you need to reserve prior to arriving and need to be ready by 5 pm for an evening of amazement !! that is only seen in 2 places in the world.

Just our opinion !!!

Hi

We are really new to cruisin'. Travelled many ,many places along with the islands... but.. what I want to say is :

We have visited Puerto Rico on 2 different trips (11-12 days each time). If you have the time - go early

- do the Old San Juan area

- the rainforest

-the fort

-The bio bay is AMAZING!!!! once in a life time experience - but you need to reserve prior to arriving and need to be ready by 5 pm for an evening of amazement !! that is only seen in 2 places in the world.

Just our opinion !!!

Bio bay sounds intriguing! I've never heard of it before. Off to do some research!

For the Bio Bay look up Kayak Puerto Rico - we used them in Feb of 2013 and it was awesome!

To the OP make sure you allow time for the ice show - it is so neat to be at sea in the caribbean and watching ice skaters...kind of mind boggling:p.

After the trip we stayed an extra day, so we had Go Puerto Rico shuttles pick us up for a private rain forest tour (we were a group of six) at a very reasonable rate. On the drivers recommendation we had dinner that night at Cafe Puerto Rico on the square in OSJ - excellent food and the mafongu (I know I just butchered that:D) was just beyond words;)