Calibre Hilton San Juan

amanderson87

We always stay at the Caribe before a cruise. It's a beautiful property with a number of dining option$ on site, and a Subway around the corner. We book a villa room, facing the lagoon toward the Conrad; it has a quite pool area of its own if you want to get away from the crowds. Usually the only noise in this area is from the swans and peacocks roaming the garden. If you have young children, there's a playground area. The main lobby has a few cages with island parrots. In the late afternoon or early evening, it's nice to grab a hammock or stretch out one of the Bahama beds overlooking the ocean.

There's a Starbucks in the main lobby, also a few shops for snacks or clothing. If you exit through the villa side onto the street by the parking garage, cross the street by Subway and catch the bus [75 cents exact change] into OSJ - getting off at the main terminal across from the fort. You can hop on one of the free HOHO trolleys at this point and do an overview of OSJ.

I know the Caribe claims to have invented the pina colada, but after just one [small, $ and weak], I reserve my OSJ tradition of liquid lunch at Barachina's and request the 151 proof - then stagger my way back to the bus terminal.

Lots of cabs lined up to take you to the ship.

We were there last December and the entire property was decorated for Christmas - very impressive.

Darcy

I will be staying at the Calibre Hilton San Juan before my cruise on dec 7. I'm wondering if anyone else had stayed there and I'f so can you give me some ideas what it's like or any tips? Thanks!!!!!

We stayed there for a few days pre-cruise with the extended family. Very nice place. We ate a bite at the bar in the middle of the night, as well as walked around the beach/pool area. Nobody bothered us. The hammock grove was very peaceful in the dark of night. Private, too. ;)

Mortons is there, but it's terribly expensive. Best steak I ever had, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Tips- get fish food from the towel stand, then go out to the pier to feed the fish. They'll give you directions if you don't see it, but it's pretty obvious. Go both in the day and at night- different fish :cool:

The pina coladas are expensive, but yummy.

Morton's- has a secret happy hour 2x a day- deals on drinks and appetizers, make it a reasonable place to go, if you are willing to sit in the bar and have drinks and apps for dinner and not a large meal.Check their web site for current deals.

Don't forget to go visit the birds. They are pretty cool.

There are little fishies that will nip you in the water. It's either very cool or very creepy, depending on your tolerance for little fishies. But you can actually go in the water there, unlike the Condado beaches! There is a nice swim platform, pools, hammocks, jaccuzzi style thingy, lots of fun.

The spa is good, but not over the top fantastic wowza. I got a pedicure, and would go back and would try a massage.

The rooms are all over the place, you could get stuck in the equivalent of Sibera and need a map to find your room. Hilton Gold level members get the newer tower, but the regular folk with an ocean view are actually closer to the water than the Tower.

If you have a snack, don't put it down in the sand if you are hanging out in the hammocks- you'll end up with a trail of ants quick! There are sometimes iguanas that come and wander around the hammocks- so fun!

Plan to drop some big bucks on food on site. It's convenient to get a cab to Old San Juan if you want to do some siteseeing.

We will be staying at the Caribe post-cruise next month. I saw a tidbit on a Food Network show concerning the bar at the Caribe. This was one of the "The Best Thing Ever" shows, where the different hosts highlight foods / drinks. A specific drink from the Caribe Hilton bar was mentioned (I don't remember from which host) - "The Caribbean Zombie". I plan on checking it out - and will save the Pina Colada for Barrachina! :)

I would also like more info on the secret Happy Hour at Mortons. If it's secret, how do we find out about it??

Anyone know if they offer a late checkout?

If you have status with Hilton - HHonors program - you must request the late checkout and it MAY be granted, based on availability. What that means in technical terms - if no one is scheduled to check into the room that day, you might be granted a late departure, anywhere from 1 extra hour up to 3 extra hours. The hotel isn't required to grant your wish, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Sometimes, they will offer it for a charge - in that case, it's up to you to decide if you want to pay the fee (I've seen $25/hr up to $200 for 4 hours, depending on the hotel/resort).

If you don't belong to Hhonors already, just go to the http://www.hhonors website and join. It costs nothing...

We will be staying at the Caribe post-cruise next month. I saw a tidbit on a Food Network show concerning the bar at the Caribe. This was one of the "The Best Thing Ever" shows, where the different hosts highlight foods / drinks. A specific drink from the Caribe Hilton bar was mentioned (I don't remember from which host) - "The Caribbean Zombie". I plan on checking it out - and will save the Pina Colada for Barrachina! :)

I would also like more info on the secret Happy Hour at Mortons. If it's secret, how do we find out about it??

Here's a link to Mortons with information on the happy hour.

http://www.mortons.com/sanjuan/bar/

Morton's Steakhouses are delicious and all of them are very pricey. Their prices are higher than Ruth's Chris, The Palm, Smith and Wollensky and most of the other well known steakhouses. But oh so good...... :)