Which school systems are -- or aren't -- flexible with taking kids out for cruises?

bus man

I just checked our school's vacation policy-

The XXXX School committee believes that school attendance greatly influences student success in school. At the same time, the committee recognizes the fact the students may be absent from school because of family commitments over which students have no control. Changes in lifestyles make vacations during the school year more available and, in some cases, appropriate. The School Committee, however, urges parents of students not to schedule vacations during periods of time when students are in school. Long term absences are disruptive to the teaching/ learning process.

If a family vacation requires students to miss school, it is the responsibility of the parent to ensure that the student makes up the work on the student's return to school within two weeks.

Teachers are not responsible for preparing long term work or assignments prior to the student's leaving on vacation trips. Teachers will provide the list of the makeup work and will be available for extra help under the normal guidelines of the classroom and school.

In Knoxville we don't have any problems at all and have done it before. We write the school a letter explaining what we are doing where we are going and the dates we will be gone. The school gives credit for the trip just as if they are present as long as some kind of project or report is done regarding some aspect of the trip (history of locations visited, different culture, something related to the ship science wise).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

I'm in Michigan and have taken my 4th grader out for a week every year. She's been in a private and public school and I've never had any issues. Both schools discouraged it but it's never stopped me. My daughter's always been a straight A student so the week off never effected her grade and the teachers usually don't even bother giving her make up work.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Our students get five unexcused absences per marking period PLUS five family vacation days. You have to ask for the family vacation days and the school reserves the right to decline based on past attendance and the completion of coursework.

My parents used the family days once or twice when I was in school. We'd love to use them for our kids [when we have them], but chances are we won't.

As Moomin2009 states previously in the UK head teachers are now not allowed to authorise ANY leave for children for birthdays, anniversaries or holidays )previously they were able to authorise up to 10 school days a year, but many families took more than that!)

We are looking at doing a Trans Atlantic cruise at some point (I can't believe how cheap they are!!!) with the kids. However these can not be arranged inside school holidays as they are at set times of the year. One of the reasons I am wanting to do the cruise is because I have a fear of flying and the thought of two 9 hour flights petrifies me, at least this way I will only have 1 flight to contend with!!!

I have e-mail the head mistress and explained that I understand the legislation however I have an opportunity to provide my children with this amazing experience and will take advantage of any opportunities for them to learn things about culture, language, geography...etc.

I will have to pay a £60 fine per child, but this is nothing compared the savingsI will be making booking outside of school holidays!!!!

As Moomin2009 states previously in the UK head teachers are now not allowed to authorise ANY leave for children for birthdays, anniversaries or holidays )previously they were able to authorise up to 10 school days a year, but many families took more than that!)

We are looking at doing a Trans Atlantic cruise at some point (I can't believe how cheap they are!!!) with the kids. However these can not be arranged inside school holidays as they are at set times of the year. One of the reasons I am wanting to do the cruise is because I have a fear of flying and the thought of two 9 hour flights petrifies me, at least this way I will only have 1 flight to contend with!!!

I have e-mail the head mistress and explained that I understand the legislation however I have an opportunity to provide my children with this amazing experience and will take advantage of any opportunities for them to learn things about culture, language, geography...etc.

I will have to pay a £60 fine per child, but this is nothing compared the savingsI will be making booking outside of school holidays!!!!

You have to pay to take your kids out of a school you pay for with your tax dollars?!?!? Now, that sucks! On the bright side, the kids (and you) will have a blast on the TA.