Is a balcony room a waste on port intensive cruise?

I'm afraid only you know the answer to whether you need a balcony or not. We've cruised in both, but once we had a balcony it was hard not to choose one. Once on the boat, I was fine. As a couple, my dh and I are fine with an inside b/c we spend most of the time outside our cabin and inside cabins are great for sleeping. As a family of 3, we need a balcony so we have the extra space and open air. When my daughter was little, it was a place to read a book, talk etc. while she was sleeping or napping. Now that she is almost a teen, we are considering taking the Family Ocean View cabin with the separate sleeping space, but no balcony. But, I just couldn't do it this cruise. She would prefer it, but my dh and I really want a balcony . . . Will probably do it next cruise. Also, we got a great rate on our balcony this time and we are in 1688 of AOS so we get a bigger room and bigger balcony (aft) so hopefully this will help. I am still on the fence, though, b/c my daughter complains that she doesn't want to sleep on the couch bed.

I understand your dilemma. I like to put our money toward excursions and extras, too. Happy Anniversary! Early.

Cheers,

Koohiichan

We had our first balcony in July on the Radiance in Alaska. We had perfect weather. No rain, really warm temps. We used our balcony maybe a half hour a day. It just seemed like we were always out of the cabin. Unless we had a late arrival at port I would never see us pull into it as I am a late sleeper.So we did watch a couple of sail aways from the balcony but we also watched some from the schooner bar or the pool deck. When we sailed into the Hubbard glacier we split the time between the balcony and the top deck. To me, the price will have to be right for us to get a balcony. As others have said, only you can decide which way to go.

Once we had a balcony, we've never been able to go back to doing without one. Our absolute favorite things on a cruise are (1) watching and photographing sunrise and sunset every day, and (2) watching and photographing sailing into and out of each port. All of these activities (except maybe sunrise!) are best accomplished with a glass of wine in hand. Yes, you can probably run up or down to an open deck and catch most of these, but they often happen while we're still in PJ's or dressing for dinner.

We will be doing our first port intensive southern Caribbean cruise (B) and are wondering if getting an inside room as opposed to a balcony would be better. Our thinking is that you are not in the room much and could use the money difference towards excursions/drinks etc.

Your opinions are appreciated as this is only our second cruise - txs!

If this is about money, and it usually is, then save the $$ and get an inside. But port intensive does not mean you will not use the balcony. Forgive me please if this has already been said. Port intensive may also mean you'll be on the balcony more....looking at the ports as you arrive and depart and while in port.

I'm going to find out. We've never sailed in any other cabin but a balcony; but we are now a family of 5 and have booked ourselves in the promenade family cabin for our next sailing.

I'm wondering how much we will miss the balcony - or even just the fresh air. I hope to find out that we don't miss it much at all. It will make cruising much more affordable!

We've had balconies that we barely stepped foot on, and don't forget that sail away in the Caribbean usually comes with music up on the pool deck, which I think is much more fun than sitting on the balcony. And we've had other balconies that we spent more time on, but then at the end of the cruise I wondered why we hadn't been out and about on the ship more, and felt I was missing the fun.

The balcony in Alaska I would say was essential.

We're just fine with an Ocean View, mid-ship on the lowest passenger deck. Avoids seasickness, if you're prone, and you can lie on the bed with the shades open and see the ocean. (Make sure the bed is near the window, rather than the closet). If the seas are a little rough, the waves may hit the porthole/window, and that's really cool. Never had an inside in 14 cruises and I don't think I would. (Maybe Quantum with the virtual porthole is considerable).

Spend the money you save on balconies in the Schooner bar.

Just our preference.

I have done Alaska and HI both with a balcony. In HI, very port intensive, it was a waste, IMHO. We had a balcony every day overlooking warehouses of one sort or another. In Alaska it was priceless, but we traveled during the day. In HI, you travel at night.

I no longer do the balcony for port intensive Trips. For my upcoming Bermuda trip, for example, a balcony increases the cruise cost 37%. To me, that is money I would rather leave on the island.

But that is me.

Archived