Quebec City hotel recommendations, please!

We will be in Quebec City after our Princess cruise in early October 2014. Anyone have hotel recommendations for Old Quebec, inside the walls? We are planning on two nights. So far, I have looked at the Hotel du Vieux-Quebec and the Maison du Fort. Both are in our comfort zone of +/- $200 per night (so the Frontenac is out) and seem to have a measure of charm AND great locations. Any thoughts on these or others?

Thanks for your help!

We will be in Quebec City after our Princess cruise in early October 2014. Anyone have hotel recommendations for Old Quebec, inside the walls? We are planning on two nights. So far, I have looked at the Hotel du Vieux-Quebec and the Maison du Fort. Both are in our comfort zone of +/- $200 per night (so the Frontenac is out) and seem to have a measure of charm AND great locations. Any thoughts on these or others?

Thanks for your help!

As I live here, I will only comment on location. Hotel du Vieux-Québec is in the middle of the action, just down the street from city hall, with lots of shopping and restaurants nearby. Maison du Fort, while not far from the action, on a quite quiet residential area (my aunt & uncle used to live down the street from there). Both look nice from the pictures.

Thanks for your help!

You can get rooms at the Chateau Frontenac from $150/night...

There really isn't a 'bad' room there.

Become a member of thier guest recognition program, and they will email you special offers & promos.

https://www.fairmont.com/fpc/enroll/

As I live here, I will only comment on location. Hotel du Vieux-Québec is in the middle of the action, just down the street from city hall, with lots of shopping and restaurants nearby. Maison du Fort, while not far from the action, on a quite quiet residential area (my aunt & uncle used to live down the street from there). Both look nice from the pictures.

Thank you very much. Very helpful information and just what I was looking for regarding location of the two hotels. These two are definitely at the top of my short list!

With regards to the Frontenac, when I attempt an online booking for my 2014 dates, the lowest price I get is $309 per night, and the description says it is a small room, no view, and "great for single traveler." The next lowest price is $399. I will keep the hotel in mind, however, so thanks for the recommendations.

Question for Twickenham. When I was at Quebec City in July I took this picture and now seems like a good time to ask.

Any opinion on the small hotel seen here on the left with the flags out front. The Chateau Terrasse. Seems like a good location overlooking the river and Lower Town. Also an easy walk to the cafes, restaurants, and shops of Old Town.

IMG_2061_zps57991d78.jpg

Question for Twickenham. When I was at Quebec City in July I took this picture and now seems like a good time to ask.

Any opinion on the small hotel seen here on the left with the flags out front. The Chateau Terrasse. Seems like a good location overlooking the river and Lower Town. Also an easy walk to the cafes, restaurants, and shops of Old Town.

It's the Hotel Terrasse Dufferin. Again, can't comment on the facilities (although the website pictures make it look basic, but nice); I have to say I love the location - it manages to be both right in the action and quiet. Also right next door to the US Consulate, so very convenient if you find yourself in need of their services. Just to situate outselves WRT the OP, the consulate is at the corner of rue Sainte-Genevieve, which is where Maison du Fort is located.

It's the Hotel Terrasse Dufferin. the consulate is at the corner of rue Sainte-Genevieve, which is where Maison du Fort is located.

Thanks Twickenham. Here are two more pictures of the area you are describing. Hope they help the readers. I believe the hotel you are suggesting is at the top of the hill.

IMG_2064_zps48102d0e.jpg

IMG_2065_zps935eadce.jpg

You might want to try Hotel Le Clos St. Louis on rue St. Louis in the Upper Town inside the walls. Most of the rooms should fit your budget and they are beautifully furnished in Victorian style--every one different. It's handy to all the sites and I found the staff very friendly and helpful.

http://www.clossaintlouis.com/index.php

You might want to try Hotel Le Clos St. Louis on rue St. Louis in the Upper Town inside the walls. Most of the rooms should fit your budget and they are beautifully furnished in Victorian style--every one different. It's handy to all the sites and I found the staff very friendly and helpful.

http://www.clossaintlouis.com/index.php

This hotel looks lovely; the Victorian furnishings are simply beautiful. Thank you very much for the recommendation.

Twickenham, I wonder how you think this location compares to that of the Hotel du Vieux-Quebec? Thanks.

This hotel looks lovely; the Victorian furnishings are simply beautiful. Thank you very much for the recommendation.

Twickenham, I wonder how you think this location compares to that of the Hotel du Vieux-Quebec? Thanks.

Gosh, those rooms are pretty, aren't they?

The street will be busier than Sainte-Genevieve, but more convenient. In a way, it's the perfect compromise between the locations of your initial 2 choices. And, if I'm not mistaken, the city bus runs down that street, so if you want to go further - or are tired of walking - you can hop the bus. I think you may have a winner here.

As I live here, I will only comment on location.

Thank you for the info you've already provided!

What about Hotel Le Priori on rue du Sault-au-Matelot? It looks like their website is down right now but here's a link to the hotel from one of the Quebec City tourism sites: http://www.quebecregion.com/en/hotels/hotel-le-priori

Is this hotel in a good area? (Restaurants, shops, pretty area, etc?) Any insight would be appreciated. :)

Thanks!

Thank you for the info you've already provided!

What about Hotel Le Priori on rue du Sault-au-Matelot? It looks like their website is down right now but here's a link to the hotel from one of the Quebec City tourism sites: http://www.quebecregion.com/en/hotels/hotel-le-priori

Is this hotel in a good area? (Restaurants, shops, pretty area, etc?) Any insight would be appreciated. :)

Thanks!

Very nice area. It's been thoroughly gentrified over the years - old buildings fixed up, quite a few art galeries around - and walking distance to quite a few restaurants, as well as Place Royale and the Museum of Civilization. If your ship is docked at Wharf 22 (the main wharf), you'll be able to see it from the hotel. An easy 5-minute walk and you're at the terminal.

Never stayed there, but I can say that when I worked at the QC tourist office, this was one of the hotels they used for visiting journalists - a pretty strong endorsement.

Very nice area. It's been thoroughly gentrified over the years - old buildings fixed up, quite a few art galeries around - and walking distance to quite a few restaurants, as well as Place Royale and the Museum of Civilization. If your ship is docked at Wharf 22 (the main wharf), you'll be able to see it from the hotel. An easy 5-minute walk and you're at the terminal.

Never stayed there, but I can say that when I worked at the QC tourist office, this was one of the hotels they used for visiting journalists - a pretty strong endorsement.

Awesome! Thanks for this input. I'm glad I booked it. I had to laugh when I read Fodor's and it said the only con to this hotel was that it was so hard to get a room because the secret of this little place was getting out. :)