Just off the Spirit

ConnCruise

Looking to write organized, comprehensive review later. Just finished a 12 day Med cruise on Friday in Barcelona. Price was great and how can you beat the itinerary?

This was my 11th cruise, 4th on NCL. Positive first. Most staff were just great. Very warm and helpful. Our room steward was the best regards. Got it right all 12 days.

Negitive. Food was completely ordinary, even for a cruise ship. Breakfast and dinners were universally served cold. Presentation uninspired, at best.

Ship was clean, but what about that persistent smell of sewerage, both in the aft public stairwell, around deck 7, 8, 9 and out on the promenade deck, starboard and aft?

Many public area window need replacing, as the double pane construction has failed, causing the view to be fouled.

Very disorganized shuttling to the train station in Livorno. Customer Service manager ran away from this fiasco with his tail between his legs. Let the shore side vendor take the heat. Completely unacceptable on the part of the manager.

From what they say, the ship will be in dry dock this coming January. Hopefully they'll be able to fix some of the deficiencies.

I have a lot more to say about the ship. I 'll try to put something together later

Sad to say, but not taking into consideration the incredible port calls on this trip, I would say the overall ship experience was way closer to the bottom of my 11 cruises than the top.

Note there is a gap in the cruise schedule from end of January into February so there is potential for a short "dry dock" visit, on the other hand it could be a charter though I doubt it. Any info In this regard would be appreciated as we are on her again next April. No recollection of unpleasant smells earlier this year, hope they are gone by the time we board:rolleyes: Recognise your comment re double glazed panels, food was great earlier in the year, perhaps just a blip, that said food is always subjective. Looking forward to reading your review.

We were on the Spirit for the 12 day Med cruise from Barcelona. We didn't experience any of the issue's you mentioned, in fact we had a Fantastic time. Food is so subjective, but we never ever had any food that was cold.

We found the Staff to be the best, warm, always smiling and extremely helpful. They made our cruise very enjoyable, so much so that I wrote an email to Corporate to let them know. The Spirit is our new Fav. ship.

We also found the shuttle service for Livorno to be, well in a word, Organized.

Sorry you found the little things to be annoying.

cheers...the Ump...:D

Hi:

We're on the same cruise next June (our 1st with NCL), so I would be very interested in the comprehensive review. Sorry it wasn't all you expected.

At the risk of being inappropriate, I posted a recent review that is, admittedly, the subjective view of one traveler. Take a look if you think it might be helpful. Cheers.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1925162

I hope you enjoy your cruise and post a full review!

Note there is a gap in the cruise schedule from end of January into February so there is potential for a short "dry dock" visit, on the other hand it could be a charter though I doubt it. Any info In this regard would be appreciated as we are on her again next April. No recollection of unpleasant smells earlier this year, hope they are gone by the time we board:rolleyes: Recognise your comment re double glazed panels, food was great earlier in the year, perhaps just a blip, that said food is always subjective. Looking forward to reading your review.

Hey Stuart, Pam (my sister) and I were looking to sail late Jan/early Feb but the ship is not available so we will go early January. I do recall a crew member saying dry dock in 2014 last summer when I was on board. I didn't think it was likely as I know the ship was dry docked in Oct 2011 just before we sailed on her from New Orleans but it seems to be true.

Hey Stuart, Pam (my sister) and I were looking to sail late Jan/early Feb but the ship is not available so we will go early January. I do recall a crew member saying dry dock in 2014 last summer when I was on board. I didn't think it was likely as I know the ship was dry docked in Oct 2011 just before we sailed on her from New Orleans but it seems to be true.

Hi Jean, I did a little research and see that the ship, as you state, is not cruising from the 31st Jan to 11th Feb, it does look likely that she will be spending 10 days or so in dry dock. Will be nice (or perhaps not) to see what they have done when we board late March. Like you we love the ship, when cruising we go on board intending to enjoy ourselves and apart from one disaster in 1992 that has always been the outcome. Have a great cruise in January, will hear how you got on before we cruise.

Stuart

I wish folks will give the cruise lines a break with their windows. The ships are being used 24/7 all year round, and have dry docking periods every three to four years. The windows are held in place by rubber, which decays over the years. Hint: Buy a tire and see what happens to it in seven years. You will notice even without driving the car, the rubber will crack and the tire won't hold air.

The cruise lines address the issue with the next drydock, they don't address this issue every day.

Archived