Verizon Cruise Ship Roaming Charges

BarbaraB2

Just returned from the Mediterranean Cruise to a Verizon bill charging for 'roaming' while onboard. After consulting with a representative, who removed the charges, it appears that our I PHONE 4 was trying to connect to the ship's satellite when we were using the phone to take photos. It was explained to us that we should have turned the Cellular Data OFF as well as keeping the Airplane Mode ON.

Hope this information helps others from incurring these additional fees.

Edited by BarbaraB2

Just returned from the Mediterranean Cruise to a Verizon bill charging for 'roaming' while onboard. After consulting with a representative, who removed the charges, it appears that our I PHONE 4 was trying to connect to the ship's satellite when we were using the phone to take photos. It was explained to us that we should have turned the Cellular Data OFF as well as keeping the Airplane Mode ON.

I would think that if you have the phone in the AIRPLANE MODE that you would not be able to receive any calls (or make them). Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a cell phone?

Yes, you should turn data off unless you want your phone's apps and your email trying to update. Only use wifi for those services.

You should have received a text message from Verizon the first time you turned the phone on in a global area which explains the charges and how to avoid them.

Mike

we learned this lesson too on our first cruise....almost $5000 in charges from AT&T. It wasn't until we came home that we understood. Why, you might even say the bill helped us understand

We just returned from Med too, our first time there and with iphone.

When we left the states I went into Settings and turned my Cellular Data Off, and Airplane Mode On.

When we were in port, we came across some free wifi in cafes. I then turned my Wifi On and connected to their internet to check email. I had to take it out of Airplane Mode to use a couple apps, and was worried I would have charges on my bill. But I did not have any additional charges doing this. When I was done I put it back in Airplane Mode.

There is also an app called Viber that allows free text and calls through Wifi. I use it here at home with my daughter who has limited text and minutes on her phone. In Italy and France I did not use Viber with the free wifi cafes because of the time differnce, I was already back on ship when they were just getting up in the morning.

Yes, you should turn data off unless you want your phone's apps and your email trying to update. Only use wifi for those services.

You should have received a text message from Verizon the first time you turned the phone on in a global area which explains the charges and how to avoid them.

Mike

Before we left of our European cruise we did two things: We enabled our phone for to use in each foreign country and we bought an international data plan. I would turn the phone on every time we disembarked in a port. A couple of times I forgot to turn it off when we returned to the ship. Fortunately, we would get a text message alert saying that we were now switched over to AT&T at Sea. One glimpse of that message and I switched off my phone completely until the next port.

One time, we were in the Horizons Lounge for a drink at sail away and I heard the incoming text tone of the woman sitting at the next table. I thought "How odd. She's getting a text well out in the open ocean." Within seconds, I heard my phone go off, too.

One time, we were in the Horizons Lounge for a drink at sail away and I heard the incoming text tone of the woman sitting at the next table. I thought "How odd. She's getting a text well out in the open ocean." Within seconds, I heard my phone go off, too.

Haha, sounds of an iphone, LOL

Yes - thanks for AT&T for sending those messages that say, "turn off your phone if you know what's good for you...."