First day on board

richardf59

We are due to cruise from Dubai on MSC Lirica - we will be staying in Dubai for a couple of days prior to boarding and will make our own way to the ship. I would like to surprise my wife with a special tea at the Burg Al Arab Hotel on the day of embarkation. The ship doesn't sail until 18.00 and I have booked tea for 13.00. What can we expect to do on the first day however - is it all going to tied up with boarding and lifeboat drills - or would we be able to leave the ship at lunchtime to 'do our own thing'? If we were flying direct to Dubai and straight onto the ship, the flight would arrive at 08.30 - bearing in ind we will be making our way to the ship by taxi - what would be a good time to arrive

This is the only day we can do it - when we return to Dubai, it will be a FRiday and they don't run the tea on that day

You can probably tell - this is our first time!

Thanks

Since it is your first cruise, I would recommend that you board the ship and skip the off ship event. If the event is two hours, You will only have three hours to get to the ship, check in, and get onboard. In fact you will probably have less than that, since they usually expect everyone to be checked in earlier than the departure time. The ship is not like a plane in terms of boarding, etc.

The other option depending on boarding time is to board the ship, then get off and go to the event, and come back. But once you enter the ship, you will not want to leave.

Since it is your first cruise, I would recommend that you board the ship and skip the off ship event. If the event is two hours, You will only have three hours to get to the ship, check in, and get onboard. In fact you will probably have less than that, since they usually expect everyone to be checked in earlier than the departure time. The ship is not like a plane in terms of boarding, etc.

The other option depending on boarding time is to board the ship, then get off and go to the event, and come back. But once you enter the ship, you will not want to leave.

Have to agree with reedl. Better safe than sorry.

Perhaps you could arrange to have a special tea for you and your wife at some point during your cruise.

Welcome to Cruise Critic Richardf59.

Another vote to strongly recommend skipping the afternoon tea. You should arrive at the cruise terminal around 11 am, check-in and board by 11:30. Later in the day it will be very busy.

You do not want to get stuck in a situation where you get caught in traffic, or slow service at the tea or some unforeseen problem occurs. From what I have read it is at least a 30 to 45-minute ride to the pier from the hotel and the traffic in Dubai is notoriously bad.

Most ships require everyone to be aboard an hour before sailing. Do you really want to put this much stress on yourself at the beginning of a vacation?

There are occasions when people arrive late and are literally running through the terminal to make it aboard, I've watched it while working as a check-in agent in New York.

Perhaps there is a nice afternoon tea you could plan during one of your port stop excursions on your voyage. Embarkation is a special day, a time to board the ship early before the masses, enjoy a lunch in the buffet restaurant (Lido), explore the ship and unpack your suitcases before the Muster Drill.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

We are due to cruise from Dubai on MSC Lirica - we will be staying in Dubai for a couple of days prior to boarding and will make our own way to the ship. I would like to surprise my wife with a special tea at the Burg Al Arab Hotel on the day of embarkation. The ship doesn't sail until 18.00 and I have booked tea for 13.00. What can we expect to do on the first day however - is it all going to tied up with boarding and lifeboat drills - or would we be able to leave the ship at lunchtime to 'do our own thing'? If we were flying direct to Dubai and straight onto the ship, the flight would arrive at 08.30 - bearing in ind we will be making our way to the ship by taxi - what would be a good time to arrive

This is the only day we can do it - when we return to Dubai, it will be a FRiday and they don't run the tea on that day

You can probably tell - this is our first time!

Thanks

Can't answer your questions, but I want to

Welcome you to Cruise Critic.

There is a forum here dedicated to the UK cruisers titled: UK Cruisers.

SBtS

• 2 weeks later...

If you are in Dubai for a few days prior to the cruise, could you have the tea on a different day? My husband and I cruised out of Dubai last November and went for tea at 4:30 so we could be there at sunset. It was spectacular! The tea service takes quite some time and is lovely, so it shouldn't be rushed. The amount of food along with champagne, tea etc was enough for our dinner. As you already know it's not inexpensive so try to go when you can relax and enjoy it.

With a departure time of 18:00, most likely you will need to be aboard no later than 90 minutes prior to departure, which would make it 16:30. That gives you just three and half hours to enjoy your tea, make your way to the cruise terminal, check your bags in, check yourself in, and board the ship. You can probably make it, but you will board at the last minute, taking away the excitement of several hours of exploring and enjoying the ship, something many of us think is a highlight of the cruise.