Lobster on Canada/NE cruises

warmwinds

WE were on this cruise last year and Celebrity made a BIG thing about Local lobsters being served. HOwever during the cruises They found that the local maine lobsters were in a molting stage and the shells were not complete..ie not alot of meat. For the last cruise to New England Celebrity eneded up getting teh Warm lobsters tails from teh south adn they were great ...minimal complaints compared to the problems they had previously.

We were on the Sept 7 Summit voyage this year. I saw many cases of live lobsters at the dock in Portland, ready to go on the ship. So, yes, we did have Maine lobster, however, that night we ate in the Specialty and I ordered a whole lobster. They cracked it and took out the meat table side . I was disappointed. The meat was waterlogged and rather tasteless. I prefer a broiled tail, not boiled.(like in the early days on X).

We were on the Sept 7 Summit voyage this year. I saw many cases of live lobsters at the dock in Portland, ready to go on the ship. So, yes, we did have Maine lobster, however, that night we ate in the Specialty and I ordered a whole lobster. They cracked it and took out the meat table side . I was disappointed. The meat was waterlogged and rather tasteless. I prefer a broiled tail, not boiled.(like in the early days on X).

A lobster that was waterlogged and tasteless was not properly prepared. Whether they are steamed (best) or boiled, they should never be overcooked. I would have sent mine back, as I would a steak that had been cooked to shoe leather.

We were on the October 5th Canada new England cruise and warm water lobsters were served on the ship. They were some of the better ones I have had on a cruise. For the best lobster you cannot beat the fresh Maine lobster sold at some of the places in the ports.

We were on the October 5th Canada new England cruise and warm water lobsters were served on the ship. They were some of the better ones I have had on a cruise. For the best lobster you cannot beat the fresh Maine lobster sold at some of the places in the ports.

"For the best <American> lobster you cannot beat the fresh Maine lobster sold at some of the places in the ports." We ALL know that Nova Scotian lobster is the best! :D

If you want good lobster you need to get it in Bar Harbor, Maine or Portland, Main or Canada. The lobster on the ship is the same as on most cruises. We did Canada, New England on the Summit in 2012 and got good lobster in Bar Harbor.

FRMPEI...perhaps you can help us. Our trip I mentioned above we stayed out near Cavendish, and went one night to a restaurant (huge place) and once to a church supper.

This trip we're sticking around Charlottetown - is there any restaurant in town that serves the mussels/lobster/potatoes lunches? (has to be for lunch).

Really... the best is from Northumberland Strait, which is shared between New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island. :D

Gerry

Well, I must admit that I've had some pretty tasty lobsters from Shediac and elsewhere when heading up to Kouchibouguac National Park for sea kayaking, I'm not sure that I'm willing to say "best". :) Don't confuse the size of the Shediac Lobster with taste! ;)

If you want good lobster you need to get it in Bar Harbor, Maine or Portland, Main or Canada. The lobster on the ship is the same as on most cruises. We did Canada, New England on the Summit in 2012 and got good lobster in Bar Harbor.

We spend a week hiking in the Bar Harbor area a few years ago and had some great lobster, but in September, on the way back from Nova Scotia, we stopped for a few days on Deer Island, just a bit west of Bar Harbour. There we enjoyed some really delicious ones.

Well, I must admit that I've had some pretty tasty lobsters from Shediac and elsewhere when heading up to Kouchibouguac National Park for sea kayaking, I'm not sure that I'm willing to say "best". :) Don't confuse the size of the Shediac Lobster with taste! ;)

Very funny!!! :D

FRMPEI...perhaps you can help us. Our trip I mentioned above we stayed out near Cavendish, and went one night to a restaurant (huge place) and once to a church supper.

This trip we're sticking around Charlottetown - is there any restaurant in town that serves the mussels/lobster/potatoes lunches? (has to be for lunch).

Hello Warmwinds. Around Cavendish I am going to guess that you ate at Fisherman's Wharf in Rustico and St Anne's Church Lobster Suppers. My personal opinion I think you missed the best one which is basically located in the middle of these two locations... New Glasgow Lobster Suppers you most likely drove past it? Around Charlottetown especially during the summer season there are quite a few places to get lobster at "lunch" time or as we call in the Maritimes "dinner". See here "dinner" is at noon and "Supper" is at 5. I never new the difference until I moved away. The most trendy tourist place is at the corner of Prince Street and Water Street which is merely steps away from were the cruise ships dock. This is the same place where Kelly Ripa (Regis & Kelley) ate when they were here shooting their show.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Edited by FRMPEI

I live in New England and I never eat lobster on a cruise chip, it just can't compare to what we are used to. For anyone sailing on a Canada/New England cruise, PLEASE try the local food in most or all of your stops. You'll be hard pressed to find a place that doesn't do a good job cooking lobster, clams, chowder. Plus, you'll be able to join the debate about which way lobster tastes the best because everyone here has an opinion. Some like it steamed, some grilled, baked stuffed, in a casserole (aka Lazy Man's Lobster), or in a lobster roll (ask for a little mayo on the side, just in case.) I know a lot of cruisers hesitate to spend money eating on shore since food on the ship is included, but this is one itinerary where you'll want to hit the shoreside restaurants and clam shacks. You'll be glad you did.