Quetions about Galveston

wannagonow123

I might be able to squeeze a cruise on the Magic this January out of Galveston. I need to know a few things before I continue.

There is a red eye flight that will get me into IAH at 5:15am. Now I know Carnival shuttles don't start until 9:00am, and frankly, I really don't want to hang at the airport for that long. If we took a taxi to the cruise port is there places to eat and hang out? I figure if we buy FTTF, we can get on and take a nap before muster. ( the air savings is like $200 cheaper if we go this route).

You also might check into a regular shuttle service like Super Shuttle. Google Harbor House Hotel, they have a restaurant and a lot of cruise passengers stay there pre cruise. It's next door to the cruise terminal. There is also a Harbor Tour/1877 Tall Ship Elissa that is also next door, they have a small museum, gift shop, and do tours of the harbor.

We tried to book harbor house hotel and they are closed for renovations the whole month of Jan. They don't serve breakfast at the restaurant only lunch and dinner. Your best bet is Starbucks across the street. Pretty dead on Sun mornings in Galveston before boarding. We are cruising magic Jan 26. Going in Sat staying at the Galvez hotel the day before. We usually stay at Harbor House, that is how we know it is closed

I don't know if you are familiar with Galveston Port but it is 70 miles from IAH.( I checked yahoo maps) So you will need to factor in travel expense. Also a January cruise is less than 3 months from now. Is FTTF still available? It sells out quickly. There are lots of bars and restaurants in the area but most are not open until 10 AM. Perhaps someone more familiar with the area will have idea where you can hang until it is time to get on the ship. I hope it works out for you.

As others have said, Galveston is pretty quiet that early. The Starbucks by the cruise terminal is the only thing in that area that I know of that would be open when you get there. There's a 24 hour Denny's on the seawall a couple of miles away. Can't really think of anything else off the top of my head.

I'm a local and Starbucks is right across the street from the ship. A few streets over is this

http://thesunflowerbakeryandcafe.com

Wonderful little breakfast cafe and bakery. It is close and the taxi could drop you there but idk if you would wanna walk back. There is a map on that site.

IHOP is on the Seawall.

Harbor side Dr and about 22nd is where the ship is.

I might be able to squeeze a cruise on the Magic this January out of Galveston. I need to know a few things before I continue.

There is a red eye flight that will get me into IAH at 5:15am. Now I know Carnival shuttles don't start until 9:00am, and frankly, I really don't want to hang at the airport for that long. If we took a taxi to the cruise port is there places to eat and hang out? I figure if we buy FTTF, we can get on and take a nap before muster. ( the air savings is like $200 cheaper if we go this route).

Have you checked to see if there are any flights into Hobby (HOU) with better times?

Archived