Currency in Scotland - Bergen on your own

I will be going on the july 20 sailing. I have heard that that there is some difficulty in using British pounds as currency in Scotland. Is this correct? I would also be interested in knowing if it is easy to obtain transportation from the dock in Bergen Norway to the town. I'm somewhat adventurous and prefer to explore Bergen on my own. Thank you.

What do they take in Scotland then?:confused:

British pounds are good all over Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Bergen is walkable from the docks to town and they take Norwegian Kroner (NOK) You can use the ATM's near the dock or in town at the local bank. Be sure you have a 4 digit PIN.

The funicular will only take Kroner so be sure to have some before you hike up the hill !;)

I don't know what cruise line you are on, but we stopped in Bergen two weeks ago on the RCCL Jewel of the Seas and the Ship had a shuttle bus that just took a few minutes. It is walkable, but I'd save my walking for the actual town. Bergen is pretty and climbing up to the views is great. This is definately a port you can "do on your own".

I have heard that that there is some difficulty in using British pounds as currency in Scotland. Is this correct?

Not exactly, it is the other way round. Scottish banks produce there own notes (£5,£10 and £20) and you may have difficulty using them in England (and most particularly in the south of England). They are "legal tender" anywhere in Britain but are quite unusual to see so people tend to be a bit wary of them.

It should be noted that exactly the same applies to Northern Ireland money. In fact people are even more wary of N.I. money since the I.R.A. carried out a multi-million pound robbery at a bank fairly recently that caused the whole of the currency to be withdrawn. LINK.

Coins are the same throughout Britain.

I have generally found that if you ask the cashier in Northern Ireland or Scotland for Bank of England notes in your change they will oblige if they have them.

I hope that clears it up.

Nick.

I don't know what cruise line you are on, but we stopped in Bergen two weeks ago on the RCCL Jewel of the Seas and the Ship had a shuttle bus that just took a few minutes. It is walkable, but I'd save my walking for the actual town. Bergen is pretty and climbing up to the views is great. This is definately a port you can "do on your own".
If the ship has a shuttle bus, and you want to use it, I would recommend using it in one direction only. If your ship docks near the Bryggen area (which is where the picturesque wooden warehouses most often pictured in relation to Bergen are situated), that is only about 5 minutes' walk from the dock, and the shuttle bus is likely to whizz on by into the centre of town (another 5 minutes' walk). You might want to find out when you're on board exactly where the shuttle bus drops off and picks up, and plan your own walking tour accordingly.

Not exactly, it is the other way round. Scottish banks produce there own notes (£5,£10 and £20) and you may have difficulty using them in England (and most particularly in the south of England). They are "legal tender" anywhere in Britain but are quite unusual to see so people tend to be a bit wary of them.

It should be noted that exactly the same applies to Northern Ireland money. In fact people are even more wary of N.I. money since the I.R.A. carried out a multi-million pound robbery at a bank fairly recently that caused the whole of the currency to be withdrawn. LINK.

Coins are the same throughout Britain.

I have generally found that if you ask the cashier in Northern Ireland or Scotland for Bank of England notes in your change they will oblige if they have them.

I hope that clears it up.

Nick.

Nick:

Thank you so much for letting us first-timers know about this difference. It may save us some headaches, although my nephew may miss out on some local money once we get back home.

Jim

Bank of England notes are accepted anywhere in Scotland. Scottish bank notes (three different banks all issue their own) are more accepted in England than they used to be, especially in the north of the country and anywhere that gets a lot of Scottish tourists, though you may get funny looks if you offer a big bank note to pay a small bill. The exception is that in Scotland it's still possible to use one pound notes which are extinct in England. If you're only in Scotland for a short time and get offered these in your change, ask for one pound coins which are valid anywhere in the UK. Near the end of your stay in Scotland it's safer to try and spend your Scottish notes (unless you want to keep some as souvenirs) as they might not be easily changed back into other currencies once you've left Scotland.

Useless fact - To mark his last ever appearance at the Open Golf Championship, one bank has issued special bank notes with Jack Nicklaus on them. He's the only person other than kings and queens ever to appear on a Scottish bank note while he was still alive.

Archived