Private tour to Tulum

CQG67

From Coz to Tulum involves a cab or shuttle to the ferry terminal, a ferry ride (sometimes rough! :eek:) to Playa del Carmen, a bus to Tulum, the tour, maybe some time on the beach, lunch and return. There are too many opportunities for something to go wrong (broken down bus, missed ferry, etc.) that could cause you to miss the ship :eek: to chance this with a private tour operator.

Most doing this tour from Coz rely on the cruise-line tour operator to ensure that you will not miss the ship. ;)

Good luck! :)

That is very often true, especially when you are in port for half a day, but sister's ship is in port from morning until 7pm and the tour is only half a day so the likelihood of major problems is borderline. A whole day tour I would rule out. Best Buy Tours has gotten really good reviews on Trip Advisor. Thanks for your input. I lived dangerously in Spain and took a private tour that was really close on time but we had no problem at all and the tour was much nicer than the one offered by the cruise line. Usually though we do the ship's tours when in doubt.

We were actually talked out of this excursion by fellow cruisers when we sailed the Freedom couple years back.

They said, there is so much travel time to and back, and little actual time to enjoy the ruins.

And...........if you miss that ferry, you are out of luck

And will have an extended stay in Cozumel.

Sea Ya

Last September our ship, the Magic, did not pull out of Coz at 4pm as it was supposed to and we wondered what the hold-up was. We were watching from our balcony and saw the ferry come in, and a load of people come off and have to make their way over to the dock, and run down the dock to get on the ship. It HAD to have been a ship's excursion, as I don't think they would have waited otherwise. So....if a ship's excursion can be late, I would definitely think any other outside excursion could too. There are just too many variables in going over to the mainland on a cruise day.

I've seen Tulum, and its great - BUT, we were staying in the Mexican Riviera - a land vacation, when we took the trip.

I would advise NOT taking a trip over to the mainland by any other means other than a ship excursion.

After much discussion and your great comments and my memory kicking in on the tour I did to Tulum three years ago, I convinced my sis that she needs to stick with the ship tour. I had forgotten about the 45 min ferry ride (one way) and all of the transport in between. Agreed - too many bad things can happen (and it is Mexico) so don't tempt fate. The ship has a really nice all day trip that will fit the bill. Best Buy Tours is a very good tour group there she was considering but there were too many ifs involved. This company is best used if staying in a hotel not on a cruise ship with time limitations. Thanks for your help on this. Barb

After much discussion and your great comments and my memory kicking in on the tour I did to Tulum three years ago, I convinced my sis that she needs to stick with the ship tour. I had forgotten about the 45 min ferry ride (one way) and all of the transport in between. Agreed - too many bad things can happen (and it is Mexico) so don't tempt fate. The ship has a really nice all day trip that will fit the bill. Best Buy Tours is a very good tour group there she was considering but there were too many ifs involved. This company is best used if staying in a hotel not on a cruise ship with time limitations. Thanks for your help on this. Barb

Smart move! :cool:

Wise choice I believe!