Excursion help

Hibiscus118

My husband and I are sailing on the Golden Princess at the end of June 2014. We have a good idea of things we would like to do. I want to do a whale watch in Juneau. He would like to fit in a guided trail hike in any of the ports. In Skagway, I have rented a car figuring we will likely drive to Emerald Lake. We can cancel this if need be but I think we would both enjoy this. In Ketchikan, we have a short amount of time. We both express interest in the Bering Sea crab fishermans tour.

I am trying to fit in the hiking and whale watch both into Juneau now. We will be there from 11am-10pm. I had originally wanted to book with Harv and Marv, however it doesn't look like they have evening whale tours. On the Princess cruise excursion list I found the Mendenhall Glacier Guides Choice Trail Hike excursion from 12-4:30, and then the Evening Whale Quest excursion from 5-8:30. I would book them both through the ship to be safe, even though I normally book independently.

Now, my questions are:

Are these both doable in Juneau?

Does the evening whale watch have good whale sightings?

It looks like the evening whale watch is with Allen marine. How are their tours and how large are their boats?

Has anyone ever been on the trail hike tour? Looks like it is with Gastineau Guiding Company.

Thanks!

My husband and I are sailing on the Golden Princess at the end of June 2014. We have a good idea of things we would like to do. I want to do a whale watch in Juneau. He would like to fit in a guided trail hike in any of the ports. In Skagway, I have rented a car figuring we will likely drive to Emerald Lake. We can cancel this if need be but I think we would both enjoy this. In Ketchikan, we have a short amount of time. We both express interest in the Bering Sea crab fishermans tour.

I am trying to fit in the hiking and whale watch both into Juneau now. We will be there from 11am-10pm. I had originally wanted to book with Harv and Marv, however it doesn't look like they have evening whale tours. On the Princess cruise excursion list I found the Mendenhall Glacier Guides Choice Trail Hike excursion from 12-4:30, and then the Evening Whale Quest excursion from 5-8:30. I would book them both through the ship to be safe, even though I normally book independently.

Now, my questions are:

Are these both doable in Juneau?

Does the evening whale watch have good whale sightings?

It looks like the evening whale watch is with Allen marine. How are their tours and how large are their boats?

Has anyone ever been on the trail hike tour? Looks like it is with Gastineau Guiding Company.

Thanks!

Why are you looking for a "guided" hike at Mendenahall? I would alternatively, just suggest you consider doing the East Loop Trail yourself. There is little to talk about, frankly. IF you want to know about trees etc. look them up. A group guided tour is a mistake- too much time, wasted going only as fast as the slowest person. The Mendenhall trails- are WELL trailed, no question where to go- IF on the Visitor Center Side- If you are going on the other side- Above and Beyond is the company to consider- but you also need more time then you are stating. The trails are described and mapped on line- take a look. I have done all the east side/Visitor Center side trails. A very enjoyable trail to also consider- on your own is Nugget Falls, which needs an hour.

Be careful with evening whale watches- some are shorter than the earlier scheduled. You need the time, which means more viewing.

What you would be best to consider is heading right to Mendenhall when you disembark, head out on your own. then go DIRECT to a whale watch- either with an arranged Mendenhall pickup or taking a cab. DO NOT waste your time, returning back to the ship. I have been on whale watches that had 3:30p downtown pick ups.

There is also an informative trail guide available on line for the Trail of Time, if you want some "information". These trails are overall, woods walks with a lot of the same stuff.

Here are the trails. Nugget Falls is NOT listed.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=stelprdb5401520

Do JNU-705 or JNU-700 (both by Gastineau) if you want to learn some photography while you're out there. We did 700 on our 2010 cruise and loved it, then did a whale watch + salmon bake (through a different operator) in 2012 and although we had better whale sightings (humpback and transient orca pod), the boat and experience wasn't nearly as good.

We're already reserved for JNU-700 for our July 2014 cruise. Dinner aboard ship on Juneau night is actually quite fantastic so I'm hoping to not do "dinner" on any excursions in Juneau.

2010 photos:

shots 19-51 (inclusive of some others interspersed) are from JNU-700 or from our balcony that same night.

If you book a whale watch with Harv & Marv they will stop at Mendenhall glacier on the way back to Juneau. You can stay at the glacier and take a bus back into town for a few dollars. Harv & Marv have 6 passenger boats. I think Allen Marine's are much bigger.

Mary Lou

If you book a whale watch with Harv & Marv they will stop at Mendenhall glacier on the way back to Juneau. You can stay at the glacier and take a bus back into town for a few dollars. Harv & Marv have 6 passenger boats. I think Allen Marine's are much bigger.

Mary Lou

The Mendenhall shuttle buses stop running between 6-7pm. This poster wants a hike then late whale watch.

I actually don't care when we hike vs. whale watch. I would like to just fit in a hike somewhere during our trip. I also found a hike/float trip in Skagway as well that I am thinking about. It could honestly be in any of the ports, but with our current interests, I was thinking Juneau would be easier to fit it in. I have done a lot of research and know we could hike the trails around Mendenhall (specifically Nugget Falls). This was my plan after a Harv and Marv excursion until our conversation today. BQ, thanks for the map for the other trails, didn't realize there were so many.

We were talking today and my husband would like to do a longer hike than the Nugget Falls trail. We could do it on our own, but are concerned with wildlife encounters and being by ourselves without the proper safety measures.

Archived