Bit of a Blog – Adventure of the Seas – Westbound Transatlantic – 4th November 2013

So sorry you are not having a great experience with food this trip. Seems last time on the Adventure they took great care of you.

how has the weather been?

Weather is currently fabulous! Food is fine..... it's a learning curve for them... same as last year.... different crew.... I am NOT hungry!!!

The clocks have gone back again and will go back again tonight….

Gym.

Breakfast show. It’s Drew’s birthday. The Captain and Hotel Director gatecrash the show with a cake and confetti.

I’m offered creamed wheat for breakfast….. sigh.

The Captain holds a talk on ‘The Secrets of Ship Navigation’. Really informative. He provides an excellent and easy to follow discourse…. He’s incredibly funny and could easily do stand up!! I run into a friend from the roll call and he’s heading to the rink for a skate…. I grab a few pics for him.

I manage to post yesterday’s blog and upload a few pics before I get irrevocably kicked off. The Captain prefaces his noon talk today with ‘I’m walking on sunshine oh oh’!! It’s a lovely day out and the sunbeds are in full use. Diamond and above lunch on Deck 4 and I can eat almost everything. I learn that the dressing on the Tutti salad IS GF so I suggest that they educate the servers there accordingly…. They are going to be holding a lunch for German passengers tomorrow and a CC lunch the day after tomorrow. I’m brought a plate of asparagus just for me as they’d run out by the time I got there…. Too much food….. to avoid cross contamination I’m brought a meringue dessert…. A mega huge portion….

I need to walk off lunch and tour the shops then a few laps on deck 12. I come across a man making jewellery in a little nook up there…. I’m intrigued to see a man with the kit…. On deck 11 I check out the peek-a-boo bridge… I’ve not noticed this before but they have a little lift there for wheelchair users to be able to view too. This reminds me of the ‘pay it forward’ reference. On one of my many trips up the corridor I meet a lady having difficulty getting into an AoS wheelchair. I’ve noticed a few of these about. I offer assistance and she explains her issues briefly…. She is with another lady. I’m not sure of her nationality…. Maybe Norwegian…. Anyway I provide her with the name of the people that do the electric wheelchair hire…. She didn’t know that such a thing existed. I also explain that she can hire other mobility aids for use when cruising.

There’s a talk on Alzheimers this afternoon. I’m relieved to discover that my memory lapses are very common and not dementia related…. It’s one thing to lose your car keys and another thing entirely to not know what they’re for….. Dr Ann Adams…. I need to Google her when I get home…she’s very interesting and will be doing a talk on sleep tomorrow….

I’m still on the list for the Slot Pull final…. I’m 12th now…. I’m not about to invest another $25 if I fall off the bottom of the list.

On my return to the room there is an invitation to the CC lunch the day after tomorrow. I pop a note on the Bulletin board to that effect as there will no doubt be people who don’t get the invite. Guest Services are of no use when I enquire as to who could people contact who don’t receive the invite…. I just hope they turn up regardless.

Currently feeling all warm and fuzzy. A double Bailey’s may have something to do with that coupled with coming back to my room to a plate of GF muffins, chocolate milk and the end of ‘The Proposal’ and maybe the beginning of the film whose start I missed the other night.

Dinner earlier was very pleasant. Sat with new and previous table partners. Sat outside the Conference Centre got chatting to a member of the Adventure Ocean staff. She told me the outside area is closed as the slide and water pump got damaged during the bad weather earlier in the week. Managed to upload a few pics to the blog before I got kicked out again. I can hear the headliner act in the theatre down here….. an amazing soprano voice singing a song from ‘My Fair Lady’ followed by the piano man singing another song from the same film.

Went to the ‘Majority Rules’ game show. Introduced myself to a couple of Brits and we became a team. Had fun. That’s where the Bailey’s entered the picture.

Hi Linda,

Have just started to read this - was told about it cos we are thinking of doing same cruise next year. :)

OH is wondering what the weather is like transAtlantic at this time of the year so will be keeping up with your blog with great interest! We are supposed to be going to the Baltic on AoS in June 2014 but may have to cancel for personal reasons!

Enjoy and hope the internet connection holds up for you! :D

Take care!

K x

Clocks have gone back again and I am awake before 7. Watch the Breakfast show in bed and forego the gym for a 1 mile walk around deck 12after breakfast; this feels much more productive than being stood on a treadmill. Around 9 am it’s already warm and the speedos are out. It’s chocolate breakfast day today and I have GF pancakes with chocolate sauce then berries and yogurt.

Wearing my Royal British Legion poppy I attend the memorial service in the theatre…. There is a Pastor on board who has been leading services all week. I pay my respects and leave…. It’s a very Christian service and I don’t feel comfortable.

I catch up with the couple who are still in discussion with RCI about the lack of water play for their nappy wearing 2 year old. They are now aware that they would not have been allowed to use the water play with their daughter in nappies but insist that they were told by their CVP that they could. Their saga continues.

2nd rehearsal for the Flash Mob routine. Dancing in the Jesters night club is cramped and sticky. But it is fun. We almost have the whole routine off pat now.

Captain’s midday spiel kicks off with, ‘Amazing Grace’ played on bagpipes….. the talk always ends with a cartoon voice saying, ‘That was easy’.

I attend the enrichment lecture on the importance of sleep. It’s around then that my day goes downhill. I’ve either eaten something I shouldn’t have or I’m just plain unwell. The talk lasts an hour but I’m pretty sure I dropped off for some of it…. (appropriate or what?) I’m supposed to go to the 2nd part of the creative writing class but I’m really not doing good and head for my bed. I watch a Whitney Houston film in the dark. I kick myself up to WindJammer to perk myself up but they are in that lull between lunch and dinner…. I grab a small salad and spend an hour sharing stories about our lives and children with a lady I’d met previously…. She is from Michigan (where I have family) and we have lots in common. I feel better for talking to her but feel incredibly down. Am I sick of the sea? Have all these sea days been too much? Whilst I am in there, there is a kerfuffle by a window…. I can see something breach the surface twice…. Not sure what it is…. Whether it is a large fish or a mammal….. little bit of excitement.

I go back to my room to change for dinner and put on some makeup. I decide to dine alone, feeling incredibly anti-social and not wanting to be a mood hoover, am in and out in 50 minutes. I head back to bed and watch another film. As we are in the middle of absolutely nowhere we have no news or live channels at all. Most of the TV is in English though the BBC channels have Polish commercials…. Can’t figure that one at all. Everything is on a loop; Whose Line Is It Anyway; Big Bang Theory; Supersize v Superskinny; Dinner Date; recorded sports; ‘House’ in various languages; Top Gear.

I push myself out of bed and go to the theatre for the ‘Love and Marriage’ gameshow. I’m glad that I do as I’ve not laughed so much for a while. Cuddy holds the auditions for the participants and Drew runs the questions and answers sessions. It doesn’t matter how often I see this show it is utterly delightful in its simplicity. A couple from the roll call win…. Great fun. Tonight is the last time the clocks will change. End of week one.

Hi NN, loving your blog - reading it is just about the highlight of my day !

We are a family of 4 with 2 daughters, booked onto Adventure, although not for almost a year. My wife is on a GF diet, so its making interesting reading.

Have there been any formal evenings yet ? My girls (who will be 19 and 12 on cruise date) are already discussing shoes, colours and styles (it is going to cost me a fortune). I suppose its one of the few occasions when being a man is a definate advantage, I think I may wear my black tux!!

Thanks for taking the time to post, and hope you're feeling better.

Edited by milky-bar-man

I dont think you're sick of the sea! It sounds like you got something you shouldn't, gluten might have got the better if you. Some of the symptoms are feelings of anti social, or withdrawn, perhaps feeling even a bit sad or depressed. But it will all pass soon!!! Maybe a quick nap? Or a coke? Something with caffeine? I hope you feel better soon!

I hear shoveling outside this morning - we had snow!!! And that's really depressing!!

Clocks have gone back again and I am awake before 7.>>>>>>>

I push myself out of bed and go to the theatre for the ‘Love and Marriage’ gameshow. I’m glad that I do as I’ve not laughed so much for a while. Cuddy holds the auditions for the participants and Drew runs the questions and answers sessions. It doesn’t matter how often I see this show it is utterly delightful in its simplicity. A couple from the roll call win…. Great fun. Tonight is the last time the clocks will change. End of week one.

Hi Linda,

Glad you enjoyed the "Love & Marriage" show. It is always a new a fun game! One of my favorites for sure. I hope you're feeling better Mama...Thinking of uploading you some chicken soup! I would if I could! (Or maybe detox with a day full of fresh berries) ~Stacey x

Edited by CruiseDivaNJ

We've had 2 formal nights so far ..... one more to come apparently....

I wake up real early. Watch a movie then the Breakfast Show. Really is a Groundhog Day. Walk 5 laps (over the loudspeaker it is announced they are going to have crew drills today) then breakfast. Theory from table partners is it’s the time changes that left me confused yesterday. Over breakfast various crew drills are announced. Apparently until yesterday they had had 112 days accident free amongst the staff but are now back to 1.

There are various officers standing along Deck 5 and just before 11 they line up for 2 minutes silence (today is 11/11). The last post is sounded and a few words of remembrance are spoken. It’s very surreal standing amongst so many in the stillness and silence. I can see a lift in the distance in movement. I am reminded how grateful I am to those who gave their lives and how thankful I am that their sacrifice has allowed me to experience so much and the freedoms I enjoy.

Flash mob rehearsal. Am getting better at remembering the routine. We now have learnt the whole the whole thing. Captain’s midday talk is heralded by what appears to be a Hawaiian Christmas song….

Cruise Critic Lunch. Deck 4. Not everyone shows but many do. Julio, the Loyalty Ambassador sits with us as do many other crew members. There’s a lovely a la carte menu to choose from and a choice of red or white wine. I’ll be sure to feed back to CC on my return.

I go to the enrichment lecture titled ‘Breakthrough in Mental Health’. It’s really more to do with the brain and the various illnesses pertaining to it. We cover similar ground to previously but still interesting nevertheless. I am still prone to dropping off…..

I go to Bingo…. It’s the ‘Win a Cruise’ game. I get to ‘one number to go’…..

Ice show. Wow. Thinking back this was definitely a WOW moment for the paddle, which is in my room and how on earth would I get a picture any way? I manage to grab a few pics but with my point and shoot not sure they will be of any use.

Mixed grill for dinner tonight. As I can’t have what is called ‘British sausage’ I have asked for extra lamb chops. With mash and gravy. I think I am in heaven until the MTD manager turns up with GF chocolate soufflé with chocolate sauce…. He has found the recipe and given it to the chef. OMG. They’ve brought 2 and I give one to my table neighbour…. Now I’m in chocolate heaven.