Joining Cruise Mid-Cruise?

CrusinCouple

Hi all...my husband, adult daughter and I are booked on Asia cruise early December. Due to work commitments my husband may not be able to join us (his company will reimburse him if he misses the trip). Is it possible for him to embark in an alternate port later in the cruise? I haven't phone HA yet, thought I would see if anyone has had a similar experience.

Regards

It was years ago, but yes, I have been with someone who had to do just that. We contacted HAL to make the arrangements, letting them know what port my companion would be able to join in. They took care of everything. As a matter of fact, plans had to change while the ship was sailing, as it missed the first port due to bad weather.

We were able to do this because we, just as you, were doing this in foreign ports. Boarding was in one country, and disembarkation was in a different country. No PVSA, or similar, laws came into play.

Hi all...my husband, adult daughter and I are booked on Asia cruise early December. Due to work commitments my husband may not be able to join us (his company will reimburse him if he misses the trip). Is it possible for him to embark in an alternate port later in the cruise? I haven't phone HA yet, thought I would see if anyone has had a similar experience.

Regards

Yes it can be done but must be approved by HAL. Give them a call if you booked directly with them or if you went through a TA they would have to make the call.

Along the same lines... I was watching one of the discovery channel shows on the cruise industry. One of the things that jumped out at me was the cruise line (RC) cutting off boarding 1 hr before sailing.

So my question is this. In a case like that, could the late arrivals pay to fly to the first port (say the Bahamas for example) and join the cruise there?

PS:

About 10 yrs ago, we missed the departure out of San Juan due to a massive snowstorm, but were able to fly directly to St Thomas and join the next day... But that was BEFORE 9-11.

Along the same lines... I was watching one of the discovery channel shows on the cruise industry. One of the things that jumped out at me was the cruise line (RC) cutting off boarding 1 hr before sailing.

So my question is this. In a case like that, could the late arrivals pay to fly to the first port (say the Bahamas for example) and join the cruise there?

PS:

About 10 yrs ago, we missed the departure out of San Juan due to a massive snowstorm, but were able to fly directly to St Thomas and join the next day... But that was BEFORE 9-11.

Sometimes you will be permitted to fly to next port to meet the ship and they'll let you board but sometimes not. It could be a PVSA violation if original boarding was U.S. port. You should always contact HAL if you miss original embarkation and get their permission to meet the ship at a subsequent port. Have them e-mail you written permission. You may need that in order to even enter the port seeing you won't yet have a ship's ID card when you arrive to join the ship.

Don't fly there and expect you'll be permitted. You could be very sorry.

Of course he'll pay for the full cruise, but I'm sure you don't care about that.

It could be a PVSA violation if original boarding was U.S. port.
Not on an Asian cruise. Those ports are "distant" enough. All they need is a stop out of North America, basically.

• 2 weeks later...