Splendor Out of NYC 1/20/14....Am I crazy?

Vitamin_Sea

Its an 8 day cruise Departs NYC 1/20 to Florida/Bahamas.

Its a cheap cruise and im wondering about the weather conditions during this time of year. I never sailed in the winter.

I have not booked it just was attracted to the <$400price...

Any advise is helpful....Thanks:eek:

We cruised out of NYC on Nov.25 and will never do it again. We wore winter jackets to be on the balcony for sail away which we had planned for but the weather didn't really get much better. Our first stop was Port Canaveral and the high that day was 64 degrees. Nassau was cloudy, cool and rainy and Freeport was warm when the sun came out which was about an hour of the day (15 minute intervals). The seas were rough (14 ft. Waves and 19 ft. swells) and

several shows were postponed because it wasn't safe for the entertainers. The outer decks and pools were closed. We will never take a winter cruise use out of NYC again. Start from someplace warmer and pay a bit extra.

We cruised out of NYC on Nov.25 and will never do it again. We wore winter jackets to be on the balcony for sail away which we had planned for but the weather didn't really get much better. Our first stop was Port Canaveral and the high that day was 64 degrees. Nassau was cloudy, cool and rainy and Freeport was warm when the sun came out which was about an hour of the day (15 minute intervals). The seas were rough (14 ft. Waves and 19 ft. swells) and

several shows were postponed because it wasn't safe for the entertainers. The outer decks and pools were closed. We will never take a winter cruise use out of NYC again. Start from someplace warmer and pay a bit extra.

Of course its gonna be cold. Yes, there may be rough water.

Sorry you hit bad weather :)

I doubt the weather is terrible every week though on this cruise.

Its a cheap get away....Thats is all.

Edited by limoguy1

we actually booked the 1/28 Splendor cruise.

Have a great cruise!!! Maybe the weather won't be idea, but I'm sure you and your traveling partner(s), will make the best of and enjoy yourselves. DH and I leave on the Pride on the 26th, we also got a deal that we couldn't resist. We'll make the best of the weather and right now with the howling winds and the wind chill below 0...64 degrees sound down right balmy. :p

Leaving on the Splendor this Sunday. Prediction is 50 degrees and partly Sunny. Calm Seas expected. supposed to be 70 degrees in Port Canaveral, and 80's in the Bahamas. So yes not every week has crappy weather. Cruising out of the NE in the Winter is a gamble. I have been doing so for over 10 years with NCL. First Winter cruise on Carnival. Under $1000.00 for the two of us. I live 40 minutes from the pier. By not having to pay for airfare and hotels and choosing inside cabins I get to cruise 3 times a year vs. once or twice.

It was a cheap getaway and that's why we booked it but when all outdoor areas are too windy and cold and the pool is empty it pushes everyone inside. Lack of entertainment, lack of seating for meals and rough seas make for a crowded ship. I'm not saying its always that way but there must be a reason that next season the Splendor won't be going out of NYC after Nov. 1. When you count on a cruise with some warm weather you should go out of Florida or San Juan. If you are okay with staying inside and reading a book you should be fine.

It was a cheap getaway and that's why we booked it but when all outdoor areas are too windy and cold and the pool is empty it pushes everyone inside. Lack of entertainment, lack of seating for meals and rough seas make for a crowded ship. I'm not saying its always that way but there must be a reason that next season the Splendor won't be going out of NYC after Nov. 1. When you count on a cruise with some warm weather you should go out of Florida or San Juan. If you are okay with staying inside and reading a book you should be fine.

I heard the Splendor was leaving due to the strict new emission laws.

Its an expensive fix :mad:

Once they fix all the ships, they will send a ship back I think.

Would have to be crazy to leave the New York market

Leaving on the Splendor this Sunday. Prediction is 50 degrees and partly Sunny. Calm Seas expected. supposed to be 70 degrees in Port Canaveral, and 80's in the Bahamas. So yes not every week has crappy weather. Cruising out of the NE in the Winter is a gamble. I have been doing so for over 10 years with NCL. First Winter cruise on Carnival. Under $1000.00 for the two of us. I live 40 minutes from the pier. By not having to pay for airfare and hotels and choosing inside cabins I get to cruise 3 times a year vs. once or twice.

The weather a gamble for sure.

Have a wonderful time! ;)

Have a great cruise!!! Maybe the weather won't be idea, but I'm sure you and your traveling partner(s), will make the best of and enjoy yourselves. DH and I leave on the Pride on the 26th, we also got a deal that we couldn't resist. We'll make the best of the weather and right now with the howling winds and the wind chill below 0...64 degrees sound down right balmy. :p

Yea..Im not expecting great weather. Its a cheap getaway.

$1050 with fee...for 2.......OV

$350 in OBC :eek:

Enjoy your cruise!

what is wrong?

did you complain to guest services and wanted off in the first 24 hours?

No. ??? Just not impressed. Everything is "just ok". nothing stands out. Having fun just not wowed. at all.:(

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

No. ??? Just not impressed. Everything is "just ok". nothing stands out. Having fun just not wowed. at all.:(

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Well.....Cool time of year. Limited outdoor stuff I bet. But that is the reason for the dirt cheap price I guess.

I hear ya. Make the best of it. Did you get to Post Carnaveral yet?

Edited by limoguy1

To all of you that do sail out of NYC in the winter, you guys are brave!

It's cheap and it does get warm after a day or so, but I could never do it.

It's 7 degrees with windchill of 20 below zero right now. Yes, should be warmer this weekend.

I would cry if I opened my balcony door and saw a foot of snow. No way!!!

Bon Voyage to all cruisers this weekend. May the seas be calm.

Happy cruising!!

~robin and brian~

Norwegian Breakaway 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

To all of you that do sail out of NYC in the winter, you guys are brave!

It's cheap and it does get warm after a day or so, but I could never do it.

It's 7 degrees with windchill of 20 below zero right now. Yes, should be warmer this weekend.

I would cry if I opened my balcony door and saw a foot of snow. No way!!!

Bon Voyage to all cruisers this weekend. May the seas be calm.

Happy cruising!!

~robin and brian~

Norwegian Breakaway 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

The weather we are having today is very rare. Im not concerned at all.

Limoguy,

They are having 3 C and 37 F temps in Cape Canaveral today. Not normal temps by any means.

I check out the webcams on the Splendor on a regular basis to see how her current cruisers are faring. Yesterday, I noticed that there were a bunch of people in the Lido pool and people out on the loungers. Today, the roof is still closed but I haven't noticed too many people in the Lido area.

We will be with you on the Splendor on the 28th. It appears that Malcolm will be back as the Cruise Director for our sailing. We love Malcolm. :)

Hopefully, he will have some new entertainment ideas ready for the 4 sea days :)

Edited by 2CoolCanucks

Limoguy,

They are having 3 C and 37 F temps in Cape Canaveral today. Not normal temps by any means.

I check out the webcams on the Splendor on a regular basis to see how her current cruisers are faring. Yesterday, I noticed that there were a bunch of people in the Lido pool and people out on the loungers. Today, the roof is still closed but I haven't noticed too many people in the Lido area.

We will be with you on the Splendor on the 28th. It appears that Malcolm will be back as the Cruise Director for our sailing. We love Malcolm. :)

Hopefully, he will have some new entertainment ideas ready for the 4 sea days :)

Nope, the temps are not normal in NYC right now either.

Better weather is ahead for our cruise! ;)

Edited by limoguy1

We were on this cruise and I agree - never again. It was the worst vacation ever - no kidding. 20 foot waves and 65 mph winds. Balcony too cold to use 4 of 8 days. The boat has almost zero to do and you're stuck on it with 4 cold sea days. We watched a lot of tv while we rode the waves up and down for 2 days straight. It was awful.

We were bored too on NCL with the Florida/Bermuda run.

The COLD sea days and the feeling of being "stuck" on the ship, not being able to enjoy the outdoors was really depressing.

From now on we are flying south to enjoy 7 days of warmth, even if it's going to cost a few bucks more for airfare.

There's probably a reason why the winter sailings are so low - no one wants to sail!

We were bored too on NCL with the Florida/Bermuda run.

The COLD sea days and the feeling of being "stuck" on the ship, not being able to enjoy the outdoors was really depressing.

From now on we are flying south to enjoy 7 days of warmth, even if it's going to cost a few bucks more for airfare.

There's probably a reason why the winter sailings are so low - no one wants to sail!

Of course its weather/ Schools open so no family travel

. You get what you pay for, nothing new.

This cruise in the summer is 3 times more then what I paid.

They empty the pools on cold/choppy days, there's an indoor Tandoor buffet towards the back, and you can order just about anything from the deli from room service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you enjoy the cruise?

Met your expectations or not so much?

Limoguy,

We are also on the Jan.28 Splendor sailing. This will be our 3rd in 2 years out of NYC, all in Jan. Only driving ourselves 2 hours to Albany then hopping the Yankee Trails Bus direct to the ship and never touching our luggage is the way to go!

6 people in 2 connecting balcony cabins $3 grand total including bus for 8 day vaca cant be beat. Believe me ive tried every which way and its just not worth the hassle of flying.

You will have a great time! And we have had fantastic weather every time so you just never know.

Limoguy,

We are also on the Jan.28 Splendor sailing. This will be our 3rd in 2 years out of NYC, all in Jan. Only driving ourselves 2 hours to Albany then hopping the Yankee Trails Bus direct to the ship and never touching our luggage is the way to go!

6 people in 2 connecting balcony cabins $3 grand total including bus for 8 day vaca cant be beat. Believe me ive tried every which way and its just not worth the hassle of flying.

You will have a great time! And we have had fantastic weather every time so you just never know.

We have done cruises out of NYC a few times, all great but they were summer dates.

The price was right, thats for sure.

Edited by limoguy1

l am on the Splendor out of nyc on 1/12. I have watching the forecasts very intensely. The do change from day to day but mostly the precipitation. When I first started watching PC, next Wednesday was 70 and cloudy, then a day later 68 and rain today 67 and very sunny. Nassau today was showing 79 and sunny, Freeport yet to be on 10 day. You just never know but I would be happy leaving in 50 and sunny and all the other weathers predicted so far.

l am on the Splendor out of nyc on 1/12. I have watching the forecasts very intensely. The do change from day to day but mostly the precipitation. When I first started watching PC, next Wednesday was 70 and cloudy, then a day later 68 and rain today 67 and very sunny. Nassau today was showing 79 and sunny, Freeport yet to be on 10 day. You just never know but I would be happy leaving in 50 and sunny and all the other weathers predicted so far.

I looked at the 7 days ahead. Continues to get warmer.

Will be close to 80 by the weekend in PC. 30's now.