Three night cruise on the Inspiration with kids?

PJOZ

Hi,

We are thinking about a 3 nighter out of LA on the Inspiration to Ensenada in mid April next year. The one that suits our dates leaves on a Friday. We don't have time for anything longer as we are doing this in the middle of a trip including Mammoth mountain and Disneyland. Carnival are the only ones offering the shorter cruises at the time we can go.

I'd really like to hear from anyone who has done this cruise with kids. Was it OK? In a lot of the reviews I've read it is obvious there is a lot of drinking and partying on a cruise like this but I know these are pretty big ships (even the smaller ones) and I think the experience you have often depends on where you are and what you are doing.

So I'm interested to know whether people who did this cruise with kids had a different experience. If you are hanging out at the waterslide, going to the family shows, eating in the main dining room etc do you avoid some of the more raucous behaviour? Or is it really everywhere and the kids (8 and 11) are going to see things I really don't want them to see? I'm not worried about people who've had a few drinks enjoying themselves, that would be fine, but would want avoid the kids being around anyone really out of control.

If you've been on a 3 night Carnival cruise out of LA with kids would you do it again?

Thanks, Penny

You certainly have a picture in your mind of this being a ship full of drunk rowdy people.

Unbelievable. Are you ever going to:

Be nice

Help someone

Actually answer the questions

OP....when we were on the Splendor,this ship was also in port in Mexico. IMO I would say yes. Much more of a party croud. I think you would still have fun though. Good luck with your decision

I've done that cruise twice both without kids but I have 4 so I paid attention. Not fantastic kid cruises. The first time was extremely rowdy with much inappropriate language in public areas. The last one there were several inappropriate Hallloween costumes. Each time I passed the kids clubs I didn't see many kids. There were a lot of bachelor and bachelorette parties both times. I have heard the 4 day is better with kids.

It isn't a cruise I Would bring mine on. I saw some kids but I saw many more trashed adults.

I've done one complete trip report and I'm in the middle of another, you might want to check them out

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Dicecatt

As much as I like Carnival, I'm not a fan of the weekend cruises to Ensenada now that I have a toddler. My main issue is the loud people partying in their rooms/hallway. There was even one that banged on our door in the middle of the night. If you do have to cruise the weekend, Princess may have weekend cruises out of San Pedro, which isn't too far from Long Beach. They just started them last month. If you want to stay on this ship, then I recommend staying in the Verandah deck. There are fewer cabins on that deck which should, hopefully, reduce the probability of someone banging on your door in the middle of the night. It's also closer to Camp Carnival.

I wanted to apologize because I know the responses you wanted were people that have brought kids. ..I did think long and hard about this cruise for kids for your reason, it would pair nicely with disneyland. I was left with the conclusion that I would only do the 4 day with them.

It's fine. Just like any other cruise.

During the day you might see a few people that are intoxicated but its not an issue. We are in our cabin by 11. My oldest has stayed out later and has told me there are some crazy people in the clubs at night. But if you have kids they won't be in the clubs.

We have done that exact cruise about 15 times since we are about an hour from Long Beach. My kids love it. It was all 4 of my kids first cruise. We have taken many friends with young kids with us and they all love it. Go for it. You will have. Great time and you won't regret it.

We have taken this cruise many times with our now 11 year old. She has managed to find friends at Camp Carnival every time we've gone and we have not had problems with rowdy or drunk guests. We even did a Super Bowl weekend cruise a few years back and you can imagine how intense some of the fans were! That was the only time where we heard people using foul language and as soon as they saw our daughter was there, they apologized. The ship is big enough that there are areas where you won't see loud or rowdy people. You can also avoid these areas in Ensenada. Just don't go to the local bars and you will be fine. We took our daughter to El Bufadora and she loved it. It is more commonly known as the blow hole - water comes up from the waves in the ocean.

Unbelievable. Are you ever going to:

Be nice

Help someone

Actually answer the questions

OP....when we were on the Splendor,this ship was also in port in Mexico. IMO I would say yes. Much more of a party croud. I think you would still have fun though. Good luck with your decision

When a poster comes here there are ways to ask questions without implying bad behaviors and drunks will be almost everywhere. That was clearly her impression. Kind of a prejudgement, wouldn't you think?

From the last couple of reviews I read I really did get the impression that bad behaviour and drunks would be almost everywhere! I was hoping to find people to contradict the impression I'd got from the reveiws so thanks so much for your considered responses everyone.

I would have preferred the four day but it just does not fit with our timing. We are flying from Australia and trying to squeeze way too much in of course! The four dayer leaves either while we are skiing or after my sister arrives in LA for her 40th so can't do that.

I was looking at Princess originally but then they changed their schedule and sent the ship that was sailing that route to Asia and they are only doing 7 day cruises during April 2014. I would have loved to try Princess, because we have never sailed with them but that was not to be. We loved our Carnival cruise on the Spirit though so no problems with Carnival, just the weekend cruise thing worrying me.

We could just do a road trip or something I know there are SO many options to fill in a few days on the west coast, but I am having major cruise withdrawals and desperate for a cruise. It's really reassuring to hear from people who have done the cruise multiple times with kids and other families that's exactly what I was hoping for.

Now I just need to watch the prices, because at the moment it is not cheap. Maritaya I would love to get a balcony cabin but at the moment they are $2,300 odd for the 4 of us for 3 nights, yikes! Might just have to look for an outside far forward so there might not be too much passing traffic.

Thanks again,

Penny

Edited by PJOZ

We have taken this cruise. Yes it is a party cruise. The pool and water slide were to cold to use. All of the kids were in the hot tub. There are plenty of places to go to stay away from the party group. Yes we heard the party people come in late at night but.....we new they would be loud.

We had a great time on this short cruise. We play games, putt putt, read in a window seat and enjoy being a family. A cruise is what you put into it.

If you are worried about the cruise---there is so much to do in the LA area for a few days instead.

Have a great vacation what ever you do.

We have taken this cruise. Yes it is a party cruise. The pool and water slide were to cold to use. All of the kids were in the hot tub. There are plenty of places to go to stay away from the party group. Yes we heard the party people come in late at night but.....we new they would be loud.

We had a great time on this short cruise. We play games, putt putt, read in a window seat and enjoy being a family. A cruise is what you put into it.

If you are worried about the cruise---there is so much to do in the LA area for a few days instead.

Have a great vacation what ever you do.

Wonderful post:)

We just got off the 4 day and it wasn't bad at all for our kids. They loved Camp Carnival and the slides, but a couple days it was too cold for the slides, so have an alternate activity. I've heard the shorter weekend cruises could be the "party ships" but where you are during school time I would think you should be fine.

From the last couple of reviews I read I really did get the impression that bad behaviour and drunks would be almost everywhere! I was hoping to find people to contradict the impression I'd got from the reveiws so thanks so much for your considered responses everyone.

I would have preferred the four day but it just does not fit with our timing. We are flying from Australia and trying to squeeze way too much in of course! The four dayer leaves either while we are skiing or after my sister arrives in LA for her 40th so can't do that.

I was looking at Princess originally but then they changed their schedule and sent the ship that was sailing that route to Asia and they are only doing 7 day cruises during April 2014. I would have loved to try Princess, because we have never sailed with them but that was not to be. We loved our Carnival cruise on the Spirit though so no problems with Carnival, just the weekend cruise thing worrying me.

We could just do a road trip or something I know there are SO many options to fill in a few days on the west coast, but I am having major cruise withdrawals and desperate for a cruise. It's really reassuring to hear from people who have done the cruise multiple times with kids and other families that's exactly what I was hoping for.

Now I just need to watch the prices, because at the moment it is not cheap. Maritaya I would love to get a balcony cabin but at the moment they are $2,300 odd for the 4 of us for 3 nights, yikes! Might just have to look for an outside far forward so there might not be too much passing traffic.

Thanks again,

Penny

There are also inside cabins on that deck.

I have been cruising with my son since he has been 4. As a single mom on a limited budget, living in So. Cal they have all been cruises of various lengths to Mexico......3, 4, 5 and 7 day cruises. Truthfully, I find very little difference in the whole experience with the shorter cruises. Yes there are fewer kids and yes there are more partyers, but there has never been a situation that made me wish we weren't there. You will have fun as a family enjoying the experience and getting your cruise fix. Don't sweat the small stuff and go with the flow. I have been on the Inspiration a few times (going again on 11/22) and as on any ship I find the cabins at the front and at the rear of the ship the quietest as less people are passing by late at night. My other tip would be to do early dining. We have done the Blow Hole excursion several times. Warn the kids ahead of time to walk down the middle of the road and to say "no gracias" to the vendors on the way to the blow hole. My son always found a souvenir there and had fun haggling a little bit with the vendors. Don't hesitate, go and enjoy. It is the best deal in town.....and definitely skip the balcony on this trip.

This is all great to hear. I think everything is what you make it anyway and I am always amazed at the two people standing next to each other on the same ship, one will say the cruise is fantastic and one will say it is terrible! The only thing that would really cause me to have a bad time on a cruise would be worrying about my kids so the answers here from parents who've been there and have done it are really allaying my fears. Great advice about teaching them "no gracias" too - all part of the cultural experience :).

Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to post.

Penny

For the 3-night cruise you will basically have one day in Ensenada (Day 2), and one day at sea. So the impact of the partiers will not be that extensive, and many of them crank the party atmosphere up late evening. I am sure that your family will have retired for the night. I did not have a child with me, however families with kids still seemed to enjoy this cruise when I did it last year.

It would have been nicer to add a day and get to do Catalina Island too as it is a really nice island/town to explore for the day. When in Ensenada the ship will offer quite a few tours to Bufadora and one which heads north up the coast. I did the one up north, and then found that Ensenada is only about 2 hours (drive) south of San Diego, and this tour takes you half way up the coast (for a view of the sea from a restaurant) and you pass over some earthquake fault lines in the road. I would pick the one that heads south (Bufadora) next time!! In town one can visit some curio and craft stores, and I'd recommend getting tacos from one of the street cart food vendors. Just take lots of small denomination US$ bills as change would come back in pesos, so better for small denominations.

Just FYI in case you didn't realize it. Both the Inspiration and Imagination sail out of long beach in April on 3 and 4 day cruises.

The 3 day cruises on Imagination depart on Thrusdays, and the Inspiration depart on Fridays.

We took both our kids 10 and 19 at the time on the 4 day (back when it was only the Paradise sailing out of LB). We didn't have any issues.

AZT

Edited by az_traveler

Just FYI in case you didn't realize it. Both the Inspiration and Imagination sail out of long beach in April on 3 and 4 day cruises.

The 3 day cruises on Imagination depart on Thrusdays, and the Inspiration depart on Fridays.

We took both our kids 10 and 19 at the time on the 4 day (back when it was only the Paradise sailing out of LB). We didn't have any issues.

AZT

I looked at both but the Inspiration leaves a day later so gives us an extra day skiing and gets in the same day my sister and her family arrive in LA so it works the best to maximise skiing and Disneyland time! It is starting to look like an awesome family vacation :)

Penny