A racist encounter on a Disney Fantasy cruise

phoenixwins

I’d like to share a racist encounter I had with a Disney employee on a Disney Fantasy cruise. The appalling incident took place on Sept. 21, 2013, and ruined my entire cruising experience.

At 9:50 p.m., I was standing in front of The Tube (Disney’s adults-only nightclub), waiting for my wife. Two Disney staff members (one male and one female) stood at the entrance of The Tube. While I was minding my own business, the male staff member called me a “chink” and walked away. (I later discovered his name was Franky, the host of cruise game show “Match Your Mate.”)

As a Canadian citizen of Chinese descent, I was extremely offended by this racial slur, and shocked that Disney would hire racially intolerant people as employees.

On September 22, I reported this horrible incident the front desk. On September 23 at 2 p.m., my wife and I discussed the incident with Mike, the assistant cruise director, at Cove Café. Mike informed us that he would talk to Franky a second time (Franky claimed that the incident never happened when Mike first talked to him after I filed my complaint).

I later filed a formal complaint in writing to Disney after leaving the cruise. In response, Joel Hayes, Disney’s “executive guest correspondent,” apologized, but refused to disclose any disciplinary proceedings, only vaguely saying that my “concerns were handled accordingly.” This was despite my insistence that, as a victim of an ugly racist remark, I am entitled to know that Franky’s punishment was appropriate for the level of embarrassment and pain that this incident has cause myself and my wife during what was supposed to be an enjoyable vacation.

As a result, I have lost my confidence in Disney hospitality. It is ironic that Disney is reputed to have top-notch management, as this has not been my experience in the least.

In all our past cruising experiences (as frequent cruisers, Disney Fantasy was our 24th cruise), this was the only one in which a cruise staff member directed a racial slur at me, a paying guest.

You aren't entitled to know what (if any) "punishment" came about as a result of your complaint due to privacy laws.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I am saying that you might have misheard or misunderstood. When it's a "he said, she said" situation like this, the employer typically gives the employee the benefit of the doubt unless there is a pattern of similar complaints because it so easily could have been a simple misunderstanding.

Hi Phoenixwins,

While what was said would be totally unacceptable., I agree with Ducklite, that whatever actions/punishment the CM was awarded, it is now a matter between Management and the CM.

This is the first time I ever was a post involving a matter like this involving DCL. Its just weird for a CM to come out with a remark that nasty. It certainty is not something that should happen on DCL.

I hope you try a DCL vessel again !

AKK

I agree with the above respondents. What was said to you was totally unacceptable. However, Disney does not have to (and shouldn't) tell you specifically what action they took. That is between them and their employee. Don't let that one experience ruin your taste for Disney. It was just one person who had questionable judgement and you know that is not the Disney philosophy.

Not saying that it didnt happen because I wasnt there. All I know is that I was INCREDIBLY upset at what my husband called me (which I thought was COMPLETELY unnecessary and something I'm highly sensitive too and he would know it!) from just about 5 feet away. I was fuming but about a half hour later, I finally decided to ask him why he would call me that knowing it would hurt my feelings. All he did was look at me confused and say, "I didn't call you that and I wouldn't." I was SO RELIEVED!

So the point it, none of us, not one of us has perfect hearing. And typically if it is something we find we are sensitive to (in my case, it was weight related, in your case, perhaps background slurs), we may even pick that up when it wasnt said. I would be more apt to think it was a racial slur directed to you if there was some kind of encounter. Just because you were standing there, doesn't sound very likely to me. Phoenetically, "chink" sounds like a lot of things. "Think" immediately comes to mind.

Again, not saying that it DID NOT happen or that you really truly felt like that is what you heard. But my own humbling experience showed me that what I heard was not actually what was said. And when I asked him (and you have asked and confronted their superiors as well) I was very happy to learn that he never said it. I would much rather have misheard then have him actually say that, and I'm very happy to admit that I was wrong! (glad that I was.)

In this case, perhaps the positive thing to do is to recognize that DCL superiors took your concerns very seriously and did attempt to follow up with the CM (you weren't just completely ignored.) On the other hand, none of us can ever fully know what someone was thinking when we over hear something. It just doesn't sound concrete to me. (now if you were driving down the highway and a guy thought you cut him off, and screamed that out the window or whatever hypothetical scenario you want to consider, than that would have definitely been a racial slur directed at the individual.)

Btw, I don't think DCL is perfect either. I like them a lot but I do not defend them 100%. We spent our entire debarkation morning taking a complaint from a family member up to the next level and next level and next until we were literally the only ones on the ship holding up the customs clearance. It was unfortunate and we aren't mean people, but he wanted resolution and acknowledgement and he finally got someone to classify his problem correctly. So that is just to show that I don't think they are all roses. However, I don't think this is 100% the entire picture either....

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids

I’d like to share a racist encounter I had with a Disney employee on a Disney Fantasy cruise. The appalling incident took place on Sept. 21, 2013, and ruined my entire cruising experience.

At 9:50 p.m., I was standing in front of The Tube (Disney’s adults-only nightclub), waiting for my wife. Two Disney staff members (one male and one female) stood at the entrance of The Tube. While I was minding my own business, the male staff member called me a “chink” and walked away. (I later discovered his name was Franky, the host of cruise game show “Match Your Mate.”)

As a Canadian citizen of Chinese descent, I was extremely offended by this racial slur, and shocked that Disney would hire racially intolerant people as employees.

Per labor laws, you can't ask a new employee if they are racist. You can't do an employment check, and ask previous employees if the perspective employee is racist. Basically, Disney would not know, until an incident happens. You should not be shocked. You were offended, and you took the right steps.

On September 22, I reported this horrible incident the front desk. On September 23 at 2 p.m., my wife and I discussed the incident with Mike, the assistant cruise director, at Cove Café. Mike informed us that he would talk to Franky a second time (Franky claimed that the incident never happened when Mike first talked to him after I filed my complaint).

I later filed a formal complaint in writing to Disney after leaving the cruise. In response, Joel Hayes, Disney’s “executive guest correspondent,” apologized, but refused to disclose any disciplinary proceedings, only vaguely saying that my “concerns were handled accordingly.” This was despite my insistence that, as a victim of an ugly racist remark, I am entitled to know that Franky’s punishment was appropriate for the level of embarrassment and pain that this incident has cause myself and my wife during what was supposed to be an enjoyable vacation.

From an HR perspective, Disney must follow certain laws, and so I would believe when they told you, an appropriate action was taken, they did. However, they are required by laws, not to discuss it with you. You did the appropriate thing, and therefore, you have to accept that they will do the same.

As a result, I have lost my confidence in Disney hospitality. It is ironic that Disney is reputed to have top-notch management, as this has not been my experience in the least.

They seem to have done, everything they needed or were allowed to do under labor laws in the US. It is an unfortunite incident, but Disney employs a huge amount of people, who they hold to high standards. Trust they did the right thing.

In all our past cruising experiences (as frequent cruisers, Disney Fantasy was our 24th cruise), this was the only one in which a cruise staff member directed a racial slur at me, a paying guest.

vvv

I'm really sorry this happened to you. And I totally understand your frustration.

I've been in the position where I've hit dead-ends with DCL, so I know how you must be feeling.

The only thing I can say is that I hope with time, you'll feel less upset about it....and again, so sorry!

Edited by MizDaisy

OP - I'm sorry this happened to you. My daughter is Chinese and I would blow a gasket if anyone called her that. I'm surprised at Disney's reaction, though. Typically, they bend over backwards to make the customer "whole." While I agree with the others that whatever disciplinary measures were taken should not be shared with the customer(the fact that measures were taken should be, and apparently were, shared with you). Hopefully, the employee now will understand that his/her utterance was unacceptable. If he/she does it again, I hope Disney fires the person.

I can completely understand that DCL won't disclose what action was taken beyond a "discussion" with the offending CM. However, you can rest assured that documentation of the incident is residing in his employment file. While a single incident may not result in much beyond counselling/discussion, a pattern of such behavior will result in further action.

It works the same way with positive feedback--praise from a guest may result in a small perk, but always is noted in the employment file. Multiple compliments influence salary and promotion issues.

I'm very sorry this occurred, and is certainly not typical of DCL based on my experiences. But actions between employer and employee are confidential.

This pretty much sums it up. Unfortunately, with 1300 staff or so on the ship (maybe more) the odds indicate that at least one or two will be a bad apple.

The point to take away is that even if the incident didn't spark immediate action, its not likely they would be selected for a new contract when the current one was up.

I can completely understand that DCL won't disclose what action was taken beyond a "discussion" with the offending CM. However' date=' you can rest assured that documentation of the incident is residing in his employment file. While a single incident may not result in much beyond counselling/discussion, a pattern of such behavior will result in further action.

It works the same way with positive feedback--praise from a guest may result in a small perk, but always is noted in the employment file. Multiple compliments influence salary and promotion issues.

I'm very sorry this occurred, and is certainly not typical of DCL based on my experiences. But actions between employer and employee are confidential.[/quote']

A lot of staff are from different countries speaking english with accents and also not understanding the impact of certain words - i know because english is not my first language

Gosh I wonder how many people I've offended confusing the words debauchery and debacle :)

If you did not hear him correctly or he said a word in his native language that sounded like "chink", you must feel horrible that you subjected him to your complaint. Those clubs are loud and there are a lot of different conversations going on at the same time. What you thought you heard may not be what was actually said. Its too bad it ruined your cruise and if you are absolutely positive you are right (which most people are positive they are always in the right) you simply should not ever go on Disney again.