MDR Requests

ihopfar

New to RCCL. From looking at the menus, I see that some items are marked gluten free, lactose free, and/or vegetarian. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe in some cases that means it can be made without gluten/lactose/meat, but it may not come that way normally.

For those dishes, can you ask for them on a case by case basis to be made without lactose, for example, as a preference as opposd to a special need that you alert them ahead of time? Is the wait staff/ kitchen set up to handle these requests knowing a lot of items are pre-platted?

For example, I believe the ceaser salad says lactose free. I assume that would mean holding the cheese that would normally come. Is that possible if I don't like cheese on my salad?

I would assume they invite you to do so since they put these notations on the menu.

Does anyone have perience with these requests?

Thanks,

Brad

New to RCCL. From looking at the menus, I see that some items are marked gluten free, lactose free, and/or vegetarian. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe in some cases that means it can be made without gluten/lactose/meat, but it may not come that way normally.

For those dishes, can you ask for them on a case by case basis to be made without lactose, for example, as a preference as opposd to a special need that you alert them ahead of time? Is the wait staff/ kitchen set up to handle these requests knowing a lot of items are pre-platted?

For example, I believe the ceaser salad says lactose free. I assume that would mean holding the cheese that would normally come. Is that possible if I don't like cheese on my salad?

I would assume they invite you to do so since they put these notations on the menu.

Thanks,

Brad

If you have a specific need, like gluten free, you should notify the special needs department in advance. You will then work with your head waiter to make sure your needs are met. Usually, they will have you order your dinner the night before.

If you just want to change up a sauce or have them leave off the cheese, you can make those requests when you order each night. My son always asks for no mushrooms on what he orders, he also has had them replace a blue cheese sauce on a tortellini dish with marinara sauce with no problem. He also likes to get the everynight pasta with pomodoro sauce with the herb chicken from the everyday menu.

They will honor any reasonable request.

No one will as you to prove why you want a dish prepared a certain way. Usually, your headwaiter will have you go over the next night's menu so you can choose your meal for the next night prepared as you want it. They will let you know what is available to be specially made.

Thanks,

Brad

My husband and I have food allergy's and have found the waitstaff have no problem getting items changed or substituted.We never had to pre order our meals the night before. On each night they would offer suggestion of possible changes we would like to any dish on the menu.They said it wasn't a problem to do it night by night when we have offered to order in advance.

Edited by Jasp 0401

If you have a real, medical need for special menus, then you should contact the "Special Needs" dept. before you sail...they are GREAT at helping with allergies/gluten, etc....

If you just want something without a sauce or topping, just tell them...they're good at that, too!

Thanks to all who have replied.

Just to clarify, I am talking preferences not "needs" so I won't be contacting anyone before hand. And chances are I probably won't have many special requests.

I was just curious what folks experience with RCCL handling certain requests, especially because it seems that is what the symbols on the menus I have seen mean. That I just need to say "the lactose free version" or the "vegetarian version" and the kitchen will be ready to accommodate without too much trouble. Or, am I misreading the menu?

Thanks again,

Brad