Norwegian vs Princess

Crosboro

Planning to do a cruisetour in Alaska next year and am curious as to what thoughts are about these two lines. We've done Princess in other areas, never Norwegian. Significant cost differential between the two.

Any thoughts about one over the other would be appreciated.

there's a STICKY at the top of this page called "2013 Alaska Cruise Reviews". Many of them include a cruise plus cruisetour or DIY land travel. In reply #45, the reviews are sorted by cruiseline. They are more like a trip report than a review so there is lots of detailed information about hotels, excursions, food, etc. Might be a good place for you to start your research.

I like NCL as a cruise line - but have no experience with the land tour in AK. While I may use them to get to AK I would look elsewhere for a land tour. Here is a website that might help you with the land portion www.alaskatravel.com

IMHO Princess has way too many options which makes it hard to choose - and NCL has too few choices. OTOH Princess has more ships doing the one way between Vancouver and Whittier which give you more options in departure days.

Good Luck in your planning

I sailed both these line this year, NCL Sun and Princess Diamond. Multiple times on each- in Alaska.

Both very much enjoyed by me. I do my own mainland touring which I did for 3 weeks with NCL. Princess, I did a back to back cruise.

Compare the port times, if you have any touring priorities. Both go to Glacier Bay on the northbound. the Sun's itinerary southbound does include Hoonah- which may be of interest?

If you can wait for late booking, Princess, over many years- price dumps significantly. You do have to be flexible. :)

With cruisetours- Do your Homework, and really understand what you are looking at and comparing. MOST people do not, and make very wrong assumptions that can be impossible, or difficult to fix. Do not under estimate time. Princess has a boatload of what I consider poor cruise tour itineraries. Go for as long as you can afford. The highlight is Denali Park- "necessary" is 2 nights there. Be certain- you want to go with Princess and have at least a day at the McKinley Princess. For some- this is a complete waste of time. There are few activities available, with flights the most popular. Do NOT count on seeing McKinley without a flight.

The biggest factor- is Denali Park- frankly this is the highlight of the entire cruise tour. Problem is Princess- has way too many cruise tours- that DO NOT get into the park. There is no point spending all those hours getting there without doing so, in my opinion. The train Whittier/Denali is 10 hours. ALL that time getting there, and then, not getting into the park??? Determine for yourself, how you wish to proceed. There are people who do not care. I am just speaking in reference to people who want the most "Alaska" out of their visit. So, you do NOT want the Natural History tour. The Tundra Wilderness tour- isn't anything I would do either- but if relying totally on Princess, it is the best option.

Be aware of the shuttle buses, getting to Eielson is well worth, making your own plans, and going off on your own. Again- I do realize there are a lot of people who just can not/won't do this. Just some general information given.

It is important for more details to take some time and read http://www.nps.gov/dena bus descriptions are detailed and take a look at a map.

I'm making assumptions. :) You are on this board- you want more information. :) Here is a start to consider. The more you know the better your choices will be for your trip.

My one and only experience with NCL was very disappointing. The whole ship is an extra charge. I have never felt so nickel and dimed. Choose Princess or any other line for that matter. I could not believe all the upcharges we paid on NCL that we don't pay on other lines. It is truly the budget line.

My one and only experience with NCL was very disappointing. The whole ship is an extra charge. I have never felt so nickel and dimed. Choose Princess or any other line for that matter. I could not believe all the upcharges we paid on NCL that we don't pay on other lines. It is truly the budget line.

NCL does have a lot of extra pay restaurants. But I don't find them charging for anything else, that isn't charged on other lines.

If you wrote what you actually got charged for, extra, it could be more informative.

NCL does have a lot of extra pay restaurants. But I don't find them charging for anything else, that isn't charged on other lines.

If you wrote what you actually got charged for, extra, it could be more informative.

Yes. Mostly food. We find the food on NCL mediocre compared to other lines and do eat in the other restaurants. Drinks seemed higher priced also.