Moderno

mfars

I assume you are referring to the vatious cuts of been served.

They are cooked on a spit and sliced at the table. There is some variation from rare to medium well on each roast, so you can request meat from

whichever end you like.

The meats are served hot or very warm and you can specify the doneness you would like. I have been with folks who wanted well done and they took the slice or piece out back and cooked more for them specifically.

just an fyi--tried M on the Gem last month...enjoyed it !!! the salad bar was great and we really liked the meats ! we did not ask for specific doneness...and liked what we got...!

If I recall correctly, our server did ask us how we preferred the meat cooked (Med well) and that's what they brought us. My husband and I both enjoyed the restaurant a lot. Be warned -- if you start getting full ask them to bring out the Picanha next (their signature meat) -- they aren't going to let you leave without trying it!

If I recall correctly, our server did ask us how we preferred the meat cooked (Med well) and that's what they brought us. My husband and I both enjoyed the restaurant a lot. Be warned -- if you start getting full ask them to bring out the Picanha next (their signature meat) -- they aren't going to let you leave without trying it!

I completely agree

Although I also have to add, try the pineapple they bring round as pineapple aids digestion and not only is it delicious it helps to make room for more

Now I'm really hungry :D and more excited than ever so I've reserved our table for our embark evening meal. Don't need to, I know this from experience, but, with it being a hectic day anyway, and first time in a suite, knowing where to go and how to get there, just makes it feel so much more relaxing to start off with.

I completely agree

Although I also have to add, try the pineapple they bring round as pineapple aids digestion and not only is it delicious it helps to make room for more

The pineapple is among my favorite offerings at Moderno. I might only sample two or three of the meats, but I will always accept a huge slice of that divine pineapple. Oh, yum!

Now I'm really hungry :D and more excited than ever so I've reserved our table for our embark evening meal. Don't need to, I know this from experience, but, with it being a hectic day anyway, and first time in a suite, knowing where to go and how to get there, just makes it feel so much more relaxing to start off with.

We always book Moderno for our first night onboard. Our theory is that we'll have more room to fit the various offerings if we go then. If we wait a day or two, we've already indulged in so many large meals and snacks that we find it more difficult to enjoy the whole experience. :D

To those who think we're crazy because we miss the lobster on the first night - well, we can get fresh Maine lobster all year long here, so it's not the "treat" it is for those who don't have that availability. ;)

I"m planning on booking Moderno on embarkation night on our upcoming cruise on the Epic. Thinking that I will pre-book it just so it's not something we need to be concerned with while we're getting settled. But I hate making reservations because I prefer to just show up when I'm hungry. How tightly does Norweigan hold you to reservation times? I.e., if I make 6:30 reservations and show up at 6 will they get me in early if they have room or do they really want you to show up at 6:30?

You should turn up for when you book hence the purpose of pre-booking. Don't be late as they may well count as no show and charge you quite correctly. Why turn up a half hr early when you could go for a drink , check out the multitude of things to do on ship? Makes things easier for all if you turn up at correct time

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The pineapple is among my favorite offerings at Moderno. I might only sample two or three of the meats, but I will always accept a huge slice of that divine pineapple. Oh, yum!

I couldn't agree more - my girls are already talking about how much they're looking foward to the pineapple! We won't go the first night (I want my birthday dinner in Le Bistro!), but we'll be there shortly thereafter - and possibly more than once. On the Sun last year, we visited Moderno twice! :o

To answer the OP, yes you can get a variety of different temperatures, which is good since our family has different preferences. :)

I"m planning on booking Moderno on embarkation night on our upcoming cruise on the Epic. Thinking that I will pre-book it just so it's not something we need to be concerned with while we're getting settled. But I hate making reservations because I prefer to just show up when I'm hungry. How tightly does Norweigan hold you to reservation times? I.e., if I make 6:30 reservations and show up at 6 will they get me in early if they have room or do they really want you to show up at 6:30?

We have arrived to speciality restaurants up to 15 mins early, never had a problem getting seated immediately (although we pretty much never eat at prime time when everybody else does, but closer to 6pm-6:30pm). Also, I think that the official policy is that reservations are kept for 30 mins after the reserved time.

You should turn up for when you book hence the purpose of pre-booking. Don't be late as they may well count as no show and charge you quite correctly. Why turn up a half hr early when you could go for a drink , check out the multitude of things to do on ship? Makes things easier for all if you turn up at correct time

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sure, and if I knew what time I'll be hungry on sat, 4 weeks from now, that would work easier.... Hence the prob w making reservations in general.

Why turn up half an hour early? I'm usually starving by 5 at home... Plan on having a later lunch on embarkation day... Might be hungry at 5 like normal, might be hungry at 7. But, I prefer to eat when I'm hungry, not a random time that I chose arbitrarily days ahead of time to make sure I get a seat.

On the last cruise I took, reservations were meaningless. People w reservations waited in one line, people without waited in another. There was absolutely no attempt seat people at the time of their reservation. Hence, the reason behind my question, if you walked up at 6:30, expecting to eat at 6:30, you'd be disappointed, cause someone with a 7:00 reservation would get seated first if they got in line before you.

Sure, and if I knew what time I'll be hungry on sat, 4 weeks from now, that would work easier.... Hence the prob w making reservations in general.

Why turn up half an hour early? I'm usually starving by 5 at home... Plan on having a later lunch on embarkation day... Might be hungry at 5 like normal, might be hungry at 7. But, I prefer to eat when I'm hungry, not a random time that I chose arbitrarily days ahead of time to make sure I get a seat.

On the last cruise I took, reservations were meaningless. People w reservations waited in one line, people without waited in another. There was absolutely no attempt seat people at the time of their reservation. Hence, the reason behind my question, if you walked up at 6:30, expecting to eat at 6:30, you'd be disappointed, cause someone with a 7:00 reservation would get seated first if they got in line before you.

I'm sad to hear that guests were treated that way on your last cruise. That speaks very poorly for that cruise line. You won't see that sort of thing on a Norwegian ship. ;)

That being said, I totally understand not knowing when you'll be hungry, and I feel the same way. This is why I never pre-book dining reservations.

I think you'll discover that Moderno will not be overly busy on embarkation night, and that it may be entirely possible to dine earlier than your set time. A simple call to the desk at Moderno at whatever time you're feeling hungry would most likely result in you being welcomed earlier. If however you've eaten late and still aren't hungry when your time is approaching, again, a call to the desk could move your time later.

Moderno is one restaurant that flows completely differently than all the others, and rarely is booked solid. The food is excellent, and I'm confident you'll enjoy your meal at whatever time you get seated.

Relax and enjoy... you're on a cruise!

I'm sad to hear that guests were treated that way on your last cruise. That speaks very poorly for that cruise line. You won't see that sort of thing on a Norwegian ship. ;)

That being said, I totally understand not knowing when you'll be hungry, and I feel the same way. This is why I never pre-book dining reservations.

I think you'll discover that Moderno will not be overly busy on embarkation night, and that it may be entirely possible to dine earlier than your set time. A simple call to the desk at Moderno at whatever time you're feeling hungry would most likely result in you being welcomed earlier. If however you've eaten late and still aren't hungry when your time is approaching, again, a call to the desk could move your time later.

Moderno is one restaurant that flows completely differently than all the others, and rarely is booked solid. The food is excellent, and I'm confident you'll enjoy your meal at whatever time you get seated.

Relax and enjoy... you're on a cruise!

Thanks for the input!

Had dinner in Maderno last week...Are you alone on the cruise? I was, and never made a reservation for any specialty place...Never a problem getting a seat for one person at any time, any night...If you make a reservation and do not show up, they can charge you the cover charge (Maderno $20)...Same with the big shows (Blue Man and Legends) I just walked up to the theater door, held up one finger and was told to go on in...Good luck...Maderno is one of the best meals I have ever enjoyed...

Steve

Edited by LTCSZ
Spelling

I know this going to sound weird, but I do not eat red meat. Could I fill up on salad and dessert? My hubby loves red meat and would really enjoy this dining experience. Can someone give me an idea what is on the salad bar and do they have chicken or seafood? Thanks in advance!

This is the Moderno Sample Menu available on the NCL website:

SPECIALTY COCKTAILS $6.75

Classic Caipirinha

Leblon Cachaça, lime slices, simple syrup, muddled,

shaken and poured over ice

Strawberry Caipirinha

Leblon Cachaça, fresh strawberry, lime slices, simple syrup, muddled,

shaken and poured over ice

Caipiroska

SVEDKA vodka, lime slices, sugar, muddled, shaken and poured over ice

CHURRASCARIA

Gauchos will carve our signature cuts of beef, lamb,

pork and chicken table-side. Service is simple;

green for more and red to stop.

SALAD BAR

Our signature salad display is a traditional part of any churrascaria.

A bountiful selection of freshly prepared salads including Tuna and

French Beans, Potato, Shrimp and Roasted Garlic, Hearts of Palm,

Fresh Asparagus, Ceviche, European Cured Meats and Artisan Cheeses

SIGNATURE BREAD

Pao de Queijo, Brazilian Cheese Bread

MEAT SELECTIONS

COSTELA de CARNEIRO*

Flavorful Rib Lamb Chops from the spit

FILET MIGNON*

Succulent Filet of Beef seasoned to perfection

GARLIC BEEF*

Center Cut Sirloin marinated in garlic and sea salt

PICANHA*

Prized Cut of Sirloin known for its rich flavor

CHICKEN BREAST

Wrapped in hardwood smoked peppered bacon

CHORIZO

Spanish Sausages with red wine and parmesan cheese

COSTELA

Slow cooked tender juicy Beef Ribs

COSTELA de SUINO

Pork Ribs marinated in red wine and spices

FRANGO

Chicken Leg marinated in lime juice, sea salt and garlic

LINGUICA

Portuguese Sausages flavored with herbs and garlic

SIDES

Buttered Rice

Savory Black Beans

Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Fried Sweet Bananas

DESSERTS

Papaya Cream

A blend of Papaya and Vanilla Cream, Créme de Cassis Liqueur

Coconut Flan

Traditional Flan with Toasted Coconut

Mango Rice Pudding

Sweet Mango, Dulce de Leche

$20 Cover Charge Applies

Your check may reflect applicable VAT for certain ports or itineraries.

If you have any type of food allergy, please advise your server before ordering.

*Consuming raw or undercooked meats, seafood, shellfish, eggs, milk or poultry may increase

your risk of foodborne illness, especially if you have certain medical conditions.

19961 CHURRASCARIA WEB 5/13

Edited by B6ConMe

I know this going to sound weird, but I do not eat red meat. Could I fill up on salad and dessert? My hubby loves red meat and would really enjoy this dining experience. Can someone give me an idea what is on the salad bar and do they have chicken or seafood? Thanks in advance!

Honestly, I eat way more from the salad bar, than from the skewers! There are so many delectable choices on the salad bar, and I enjoy that much more than the meats. DH and my sons, on the other hand, nibble from the salad bar and then go hog wild on the meats. :rolleyes:

FWIW - my most favorite thing on the salad bar is the Portuguese Bean Soup. I could eat two bowls of it happily.

My favorite thing on the skewers is the grilled pineapple. Oh, YUM!!!

:)