Western Caribb on Liberty-wrong choice?

khrivnak

So, I've booked the Liberty and now am questioning my decision. I like crystal blue waters, nice sandy beaches. We'll be going to Cozumel, Roatan, Belize and Costa Maya. The other choice that I passed over was the St. Maarten/St. Thomas itinerary. Are the beaches on my itinerary as nice as the beaches on the one I passed over?

So, I've booked the Liberty and now am questioning my decision. I like crystal blue waters, nice sandy beaches. We'll be going to Cozumel, Roatan, Belize and Costa Maya. The other choice that I passed over was the St. Maarten/St. Thomas itinerary. Are the beaches on my itinerary as nice as the beaches on the one I passed over?

Are you sure it's not Grand Cayman instead of Costa Maya? We are booked on that cruise on Liberty for New Years! Really looking forward to those destinations :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We did this itinerary on the Dream in February. Cozumel we went to Nachi Cocum, which was a very nice beach all inclusive. Roatan we did zipline then to Tabayna beach, was beautiful. Belize we did Rendezvous Caye snorkel. The island was teeny tiny and very pretty. Costa maya went to another all inclusive, and it was such an early day I wish we had done the ruins instead. The beach was nice, just lots of sea grass. Still had a good day. We previously did the eastern and it was nice also.

I think you made the right choice. We have only been to Costa Maya once and it was one of our least favorite ports but we love Cozumel, Belize and Roatan. We did not like private beach at Roatan but love Tabyana beach.

Are you sure it's not Grand Cayman instead of Costa Maya? We are booked on that cruise on Liberty for New Years! Really looking forward to those destinations :)

Definitely Costa Maya. We're on Liberty out of Port Canaveral, so it probably changes when she moves from Miami?

I'm just not as excited as I thought I'd be after researching the locations/excursions. It gives me another reason to take a third cruise, but I was just hoping for a pick me up.

Beats being at work tho :D

Definitely Costa Maya. We're on Liberty out of Port Canaveral, so it probably changes when she moves from Miami?

I'm just not as excited as I thought I'd be after researching the locations/excursions. It gives me another reason to take a third cruise, but I was just hoping for a pick me up.

Beats being at work tho :D

Oh ok! I think you made a good choice!

I would sail the western route instead of going to St. Thomas any day of the week! The west end beaches on Roatan are beautiful! And if you like to snorkel, do half moon bay. The beach is super rocky, but it's awesome snorkeling right from the shore.

The first time we went to Cozumel, Nachi Cocom, the water was nothing like we have ever seen before. Crystal clear, 1/2 doz shades of touquoise. Last year at Nachi Cocom, the water was muddy and brown. We were so disappointed. There has been a recent storm and stirred up the bottom.

I personally consider the Eastern Caribbean beaches to be more beautiful (there's a reason National Geographic named Magen's Bay in St. Thomas one of the most beautiful beaches in the world).

But if it's the Eastern Caribbean that includes Nassau, I'd pass. What a waste of a port day on a 7 night itinerary!

In have done both. I definitely enjoy the eastern route much better! Nothing wrong with the western route, but eastern is nicer.The water is unbelievable and the beaches are nicer. St Marteen is wonderful! Love Half Moon Cay! Whatever you decide, you'll enjoy.

We did the Western on the Liberty last year except Grand Cayman instead of Costa Maya. We had an amazing time! We had a great time at each port and loved our time on the ship. That said, we are sailing the Glory later this month and are excited to see what the Eastern route has to offer!

Edited by Lil_One

Costa Maya had one of the most beautiful beaches we have ever seen.

I researched and researched and found a place called Tropicante. (Check it out on Trip Advisor.) The place is owned by a guy named Steve, from Texas.

It cost $2 pp by taxi to get there. (Steve emailed exact directions on how to get to the taxi stand. It was a quick five minute walk outside the port gate.)

Unlike an all-inclusive, which was on the same beach and shared the same ocean and sand, Steve did not charge for use of his deck chairs. He did ask that we buy a drink or a snack. We made reservations through e-mail and found our four deck chairs right on the water's edge as requested.

The sand was soft and the water was warm and crystal clear all the way to the bottom.

In comparison, the AIs on Costa Maya charged $50 pp. We were four people. We had two buckets of beer, one pina colada, freshly made fish ceviche, guacamole and chips, and salsa and chips. They were all so delicious. The service we received from his staff was as good as, it not better, than on the ship. All this cost us $70, instead of $200, which included gratuity!

I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions on the other ports, but I can't stress enough how much we loved Costa Maya and Tropicante. I can't wait to go there again some day.

i did the western Caribbean on the dream.

-if you are looking for an excursion in roatan i would highly suggest victor bodden tours boddentours.com. it is basically a private tour with your own van and tour guide. they will take you anywhere you want including their animal habitat which is great. it is very cheap and professional. i made my reservation before the cruise and when i emailed the company with questions i received quick reply's by victor bodden himself. our ship even had to dock at a different port in roatan due to weather and the tour guide was aware of this before we docked and was waiting for us at the alternate port.

-as far as mexico if you want to buy something do it in cozumel because everything was cheaper than the prices in costa maya.

We did Western Caribbean a few weeks ago on the Dream. Little French Key in Roatan was AMAZING. Beautiful, clear and clean water with a lot to do. We highly recommend it. We also went to Paradise Brach in Cozumel. It was very nice and we had a great day but the water was not as clean/clear as we would have liked. Great atmosphere though. Have a wonderful cruise, it is a great itinerary:).

we did the western on the Liberty this summer and loved it!!! water was great at Cozumel (Nachi Cocum) and Roatan (dolphin excursion)