Recent GEM cruisers??

pcreek

If you've been on the 9 day Caribbean this fall -- COME BACK!!

Tell us about your trip! You KNOW you want to re-live it here with us!;)

What was GREAT?

What was not as GREAT?

Any photos to share??

Sorry - getting antsy here...wanting to read recent reviews.:rolleyes:

Thanks!

Since this is my first NCL cruise I'm not sure...but I've heard great things! Be sure to post a review when you get back so I can read up on it! Getting antsy myself and I have 25 days! lol

Enjoy your cruise!

I will definitely post a review with photos! :D

We were on the October 19th sailing, which was the first 9 day of the season. We loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat.

If the Chef's Table is in your budget, I highly recommend it. It was one of the highlights of our trip.

We had some reservations about Samana but decided to make it a beach day at Cayo Leventado. We bought the tender tickets for $14PP through NCL Shore Excursions before we left. The tenders start leaving the ship about 9AM and returning at Noon. It's a beautiful beach, not at all crowded, and you can only get there by boat. If you decide to do something else at Samana it's best to book a tour. Walking around on your own there is not advised.

This was our second cruise on the Gem and I have no complaints. The food was good. We only ate in the MDR 2 nights, not because it wasn't good, we just had other plans. Service was good everywhere. We didn't go to any of the shows so I can't comment on entertainment.

If you have any specific questions, ask.

We were on the October 19th sailing, which was the first 9 day of the season. We loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat.

If the Chef's Table is in your budget, I highly recommend it. It was one of the highlights of our trip.

We had some reservations about Samana but decided to make it a beach day at Cayo Leventado. We bought the tender tickets for $14PP through NCL Shore Excursions before we left. The tenders start leaving the ship about 9AM and returning at Noon. It's a beautiful beach, not at all crowded, and you can only get there by boat. If you decide to do something else at Samana it's best to book a tour. Walking around on your own there is not advised.

This was our second cruise on the Gem and I have no complaints. The food was good. We only ate in the MDR 2 nights, not because it wasn't good, we just had other plans. Service was good everywhere. We didn't go to any of the shows so I can't comment on entertainment.

If you have any specific questions, ask.

Thank you!! :)

We are doing the Cayo beach...we did it a few years ago and loved it. Happy to hear it's still good. :D

Chef's table is not for us - not because of the price, we're just not real foodies. Looks like fun for those that enjoy that, tho! I've seen photos of the food - my DH would not touch any of it - he's not very adventurous at all with his food! LOL

We are more Cagney's & Le Bistro (DH gets steak everywhere!) and I get to try something different there. ;)

Is Julie still the CD onboard? We had her on a previous cruise and she was a lot of fun.

Thanks again for sharing!

If you've been on the 9 day Caribbean this fall -- COME BACK!!

Tell us about your trip! You KNOW you want to re-live it here with us!;)

What was GREAT?

What was not as GREAT?

Any photos to share??

Sorry - getting antsy here...wanting to read recent reviews.:rolleyes:

Thanks!

Just got back from the Gem and we had a wonderful cruise. Julie is still the CD and she remembered us from a previous cruise. She is really nice and fun. Meet a lot of nice people on our cruise. The weather was not great as we had some rain in every port, but it didn't stop us from having a fun time.

Just got back from the Gem and we had a wonderful cruise. Julie is still the CD and she remembered us from a previous cruise. She is really nice and fun. Meet a lot of nice people on our cruise. The weather was not great as we had some rain in every port, but it didn't stop us from having a fun time.

Welcome back-who was the concierge?

mini review

i was on the same sailing as DavyJones...

um...service around the ship was always fast. never had to wait for dinner.

we ate at:

GP - once -lobster night - waiter seemed bothered and the Maitre d ended up

taking our dessert order

Magenta - twice - fast and food cooked perfectly

Cagney - i went once my hubby and mom twice. always wonderful!!

also since in a suite we got to have breakfast and lunch too YUM!

Orchid Garden/Sushi - once- fresh sushi and cheaper than home.

La Cucina - once - very good italian my hubby liked the beef tar tar-ish app

and the tiramisu is to die for

Blue Lagoon - multiple times ...love the wonton soup!

Entertainment..it always is changing. Since this was our third time on the GEM. we skipped many of the production shows. saw the comedians.

jeff harms and second city were repeats for me. chip romero and charles peachock were firsts and very entertaining.

Chip romero is bouncing from ship to ship as it seems. so not sure who will be on next.

never made it to any of the "games"

Finally saw 700 pm final night show and the final schtick of jeff harms..for the recent cruisers... a jock strap is not used to protect and serve...and it was my 10 yo DD that shouted that out :)

weather....great going down warm and sunny....extremely windy coming back. afternoon downpours in port

excusrions: san juan we walked and drank beer and got soaked in the rain

st maarten grabbed a van taxi and did a tour with 10 people we

didn't know. but got to see the island

st thomas Ship excursion...st john champagne catamaran.

Great fun exciting time!!!!

samana Tours with Terry...very professional and would def

do again..

Room. we were in a family Haven suite. yup, it is everything everyone else says....wonderful!!!!!!

embark: easy peasy

disembark: get a porter and tip them well!!! ours followed us all the way to our car!!!

butler/steward/pool valet/concierge ---- TOP NOTCH!!!!!

this was my fourth cruise....it was planned to be a relaxing one...it was

warning though....the martini tasting packs a whollop...

pics are still on the camera

You will have a great time. it is your vacation, it is what you make it!!!

Thank you for the review!! It feeds my growing excitement!

We're not in a suite this time (unless there's a miracle in the next 2 wks!!) and I'm sure we'll miss some things - mainly Cagney's for breakfast!

Sorry the weather didn't cooperate more for you. :(

Nice that you enjoyed the Italian rest. - we're going to try it, even though most reviewers say they didn't like it as well.

Thanks again!!:D

We did the Gem Oct 19 as well.

Loved the cruise. A 9 day really makes you feel like you had a vacation. Our 7 day in June on Breakaway seemed liked it was over in a blink.

We had a category BA midship balcony cabin. Balcony so much larger than the one we had in a mini suite category on Breakaway.

We had breakfast in Grand Pacific every morning. Service always excellent. Dinners at Magenta. Assistant Maitre 'd Dennis reserved a table every night for the 5 of us. We recognized him from one of our Jewel sailings. He told us first night that the serving staff was mostly new hires as many went to Breakaway. We did not notice any difference because of it. We were able to have the same server every night, Christina, and her assistant Igede. You could tell first night that they had not worked together but, by third night, they seemed like they had worked together for years. We were able to see them last morning at breakfast and able to give them both a great big hug and a thank you.

**** was so similar to its sister Ship Jewel, that I kept wanting to call the dining rooms Aqua and Versailles :)

Mom and I did sushi for lunch one day. I took the assorted selection for $12 and got more than my money's worth.

Lobster night was delicious. Been on other cruises where the meat has been overcooked and tough. Not so this time.

Blue Lagoon yummy as always. One afternoon huge hiccup there with all of order not coming, server disappearing, and food cold.

DH tore a ligament in his knee two weeks before we left I called NCL to ask for boarding assistance for him as standing for a long time or walking inclines made the pain excruciating We waited in a special area for a wheelchair. Once our turn they wheeled us into line for check in. By the time we checked in they were boarding so he was wheeled right on board. We were offered same service debarkation but he felt comfortable walking with his crutches down the incline and into the pier. We were directed to an elevator so he would not have to do the escalator.Kudos to NCL for this assistance!

Hot, hot hot in St Thomas and St Maartan. We knew how cold New York was so kept saying to each other to enjoy the heat. Due to DH did very little sightseeing or walking.

Semana we did take a sulky cab to some shopping. Picked up a couple of things and headed back to ship. Store owners worse than anywhere we have traveled with grabbing your arms and trying to drag you in their shops. One couple on the tender back said one guy tried to take them for $60 to go a mile away to a beach. And he was Dominican and spoke Spanish! So take advice not to wander around by yourself.

Hated the trip so much we are already booked next October again:D:D

Kathy

Edited by spacewoman

"DH tore a ligament in his knee two weeks before we left I called NCL to ask for boarding assistance for him as standing for a long time or walking inclines made the pain excruciating We waited in a special area for a wheelchair. Once our turn they wheeled us into line for check in. By the time we checked in they were boarding so he was wheeled right on board. We were offered same service debarkation but he felt comfortable walking with his crutches down the incline and into the pier. We were directed to an elevator so he would not have to do the escalator.Kudos to NCL for this assistance!"

Thanks for this information! I will be doing this - for the first time - and it is helpful to know. I was told I would have wheelchair assistance on & off the ship ( I have rented a scooter for trip - will be in the cabin ). I have an ankle injury and will be having surgery about a week after our return.

Where is the waiting area? Do they direct you there when you first get there? Where did they wheel you to onboard? Just into the atrium, or to your cabin?

Thanks for the info!:D

Hi Pcreek! I am envious you are sailing the Gem as I have not been on her for a long time now. I really hope you have a great time and for 9 days...wow! Having sailed with my sister who uses a wheelchair permanently, this past cruise we used assistance because we were in Venice and were new to everything over there. My takeaway is that Norwegian does a fantastic job with wheelchair assistance. They had crew helping at embarkation and at debarkation. Not sure where the helpers will be at gem check in but I do know there is a special line/check in for wheelchair and for those who need assistance. Have you contacted Norwegian ahead of time to let them know? I also remember we were assigned a helper on board...a name and number to call if needed.

coka

Hi Pcreek! I am envious you are sailing the Gem as I have not been on her for a long time now. I really hope you have a great time and for 9 days...wow! Having sailed with my sister who uses a wheelchair permanently, this past cruise we used assistance because we were in Venice and were new to everything over there. My takeaway is that Norwegian does a fantastic job with wheelchair assistance. They had crew helping at embarkation and at debarkation. Not sure where the helpers will be at gem check in but I do know there is a special line/check in for wheelchair and for those who need assistance. Have you contacted Norwegian ahead of time to let them know? I also remember we were assigned a helper on board...a name and number to call if needed.

coka

Thanks, Coka!!

Yes, I have contacted the NCL Accessibility dept - they are expecting me!

I am SOO excited to sail the GEM. I will look for the special assistance line when we get to Pier 88.

It will be my first time, it has taken awhile for me to get there!

I will definitely be going in search of your mermaid while onboard.

Remember {way back when} we submitted those little video clips to be the Godmother? ( I was the Hey, Esther!) You were way closer than I was - I was really pulling for you to get it! I think you should have.:rolleyes:

So anyway, I'm finally getting to sail on the GEM! :D:D

You recently cruised in Venice? Did I miss your review?:confused::confused: You write THE best reviews!

We will be in an S4 on Gem in August.

Fir those that eat breakfast/lunch in Cagneys, may I please ask if this is any different then eating the same in the Main dining Room? Are there even more options and is the service better?

Thanks so much.

Fir those that eat breakfast/lunch in Cagneys, may I please ask if this is any different then eating the same in the Main dining Room? Are there even more options and is the service better?

Thanks so much.

We had Cagney's access for breakfast & lunch last year on the Jewel.

YES, this is different than MDR. It's quieter, smaller, calmer and the menu is much better! The service is terrific!

The lunch menu stayed the same throughout the cruise, so that got a little boring after eating all your favorites.

Edited by pcreek

Fir those that eat breakfast/lunch in Cagneys, may I please ask if this is any different then eating the same in the Main dining Room?

Completely different.

Are there even more options

Endless options between the menu, the cold buffet, and the fact that you can request whatever is available elsewhere if you don't see something you want on the menu.

and is the service better?

Thanks so much.

IMHO - yes. Very personal service.

ENOY!!!