A few random questions ??????

RavaRiles

Hi everyone,

Just a few random questions.

1. Does the premium drinks package include the wines that are sold at "vintages" ??

2. In your experiences ( especially for cruisers from the uk ) are watches that are sold on board i.e Tag Heuer, Rolex, etc far cheaper to buy from as opposed to buying them in a department store like debenhams or macys

3. Can you get seating for two in the MDR ?? Not that I want to appear anti social but will be on my honeymoon on FOS and was hoping to have a more romantic / intimate setting for dinner. Although I definitely hope to mingle on a bigger table on the formal nights and make new friends.

4. I am from liverpool in England and so it's cold here most of the time !!!

But was wondering if it will be warm enough in port canaveral on sailing day that the pools will be open (sailing in January ) ???

5. Does anyone know / is there a way of finding out what movies will be shown on pool deck prior to the cruise. Not been on a cruise in a while and this looks to be a great addition. Love the thought of chill-axing under the stars with a beer watching a good film !!

Many thanks for any help in answering any of the above questions

Kind regards

Ian

Hi everyone,

1. Does the premium drinks package include the wines that are sold at "vintages" ?? No, it only includes "house wines".

2. In your experiences ( especially for cruisers from the uk ) are watches that are sold on board i.e Tag Heuer, Rolex, etc far cheaper to buy from as opposed to buying them in a department store like debenhams or macys

3. Can you get seating for two in the MDR ?? Not that I want to appear anti social but will be on my honeymoon on FOS and was hoping to have a more romantic / intimate setting for dinner. Although I definitely hope to mingle on a bigger table on the formal nights and make new friends.Are you in a traditional seating or MTD? In MTD it is very easy to get a table for two. It is possible in traditional seating, but far less of a sure thing.

But was wondering if it will be warm enough in port canaveral on sailing day that the pools will be open (sailing in January ) ???It depends. It can be warm and it can be cool in mid-Florida in January.

5. Does anyone know / is there a way of finding out what movies will be shown on pool deck prior to the cruise. Not been on a cruise in a while and this looks to be a great addition. Love the thought of chill-axing under the stars with a beer watching a good film !! I personally do not know of any way to find out for sure. You can post on the roll call before yours, and perhaps one of them will post or email you during their cruise.

Kind regards

Ian

I tried to answer above, in red.

Hi everyone,

From a fellow northerner, I'll try and answer from my experience

1. Does the premium drinks package include the wines that are sold at "vintages" ??No, the package only includes only the 'house' wines which is a very small selection of red, white and rose

2. In your experiences ( especially for cruisers from the uk ) are watches that are sold on board i.e Tag Heuer, Rolex, etc far cheaper to buy from as opposed to buying them in a department store like debenhams or macys Again, unless they are having sales on specific brands, I don't think they are far cheaper. I'd price up some here before you go and then convert to $ and compare once onboard

3. Can you get seating for two in the MDR ?? Not that I want to appear anti social but will be on my honeymoon on FOS and was hoping to have a more romantic / intimate setting for dinner. Although I definitely hope to mingle on a bigger table on the formal nights and make new friends.If you are on MTD then you can get a table for 2, but you will have to request it and may have to wait. If you are on traditional dining, again you may be able to change to a table for 2, but you are allocated a table and expected to stick to that for the duration of the cruise. With MTD you will be able change tables and dine with others when you want.

But was wondering if it will be warm enough in port canaveral on sailing day that the pools will be open (sailing in January ) ???They should be as the weather is far better in Florida in Jan than here!

5. Does anyone know / is there a way of finding out what movies will be shown on pool deck prior to the cruise. Not been on a cruise in a while and this looks to be a great addition. Love the thought of chill-axing under the stars with a beer watching a good film !! Not sure, unless they show the same each week, the only way I can think of is to get hold of a copy of a previous weeks daily planner (Cruise Compass) from someone who sails before you

Kind regards

Ian

please see above and have a great cruise on Freedom, she's one of my favourite ships, and Port Canaveral is a great port to sail from.

My only additions are about the pool and the movie. In Port Canaveral there were many people in the pool, if you are from a cold region I am sure you will think it is warm. I am a southerner and I waited until the next day when we were further south. The outdoor movie screen was the reason I chose FOS and was not disappointed at all. During the day they play music videos and broadcast the sexiest man and sail away so that everyone can see and not have to crowd around the lower deck. I loved the nighttime movies, so relaxing and you can see from almost any lounger. Have a great trip and congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

Hi everyone,

1. Does the premium drinks package include the wines that are sold at "vintages" ??

2. In your experiences ( especially for cruisers from the uk ) are watches that are sold on board i.e Tag Heuer, Rolex, etc far cheaper to buy from as opposed to buying them in a department store like debenhams or macys we found that because we have a sales tax in our state and because the ship (or big stores in the Caribbean) sell so many, that they are able to offer the lowest prices, and we were able to save because even with paying a small amount of duty above and beyond our "limit" the cost of the watches are less for us. These rules will be completely different for you in the UK (what are your taxes? Are you exempt if you buy out of the country or are they due when you come home?)

Don't buy in the ship if you plan to smuggle; the ship reports all purchases over the limits directly to the authorities when you dock. There is no way for authorities to know if you shop on one of the islands , so then you have to make your own choice. If you will not save taxes and duties , then the purchase price may not be much of a savings. The major manufacturers are very fussy about price fixing their merchandise to keep strong (high) prices. They will stop distribution to anyone who breaks their price rules, but the more volume you do, the better the prices they allow. The only way to know is to shop in your own country and know your prices, because even though the ship and shops CAN offer the lowest prices allowed by the high end watch companies they don't HAVE to and WON'T if you don't know your prices. Many people report being able to get name watches cheaper in the Internet - this is not some thing we do because of the risk of counterfeits and of buying non warranty products

3. Can you get seating for two in the MDR ?? Not that I want to appear anti social but will be on my honeymoon on FOS and was hoping to have a more romantic / intimate setting for dinner. Although I definitely hope to mingle on a bigger table on the formal nights and make new friends.if you choose MTD you can do this, be alone together on the nights you choose, dine with others on other nights. If you make new friends who also have MTD you can turn up with them and dine together.

But was wondering if it will be warm enough in port canaveral on sailing day that the pools will be open (sailing in January ) ???

Jan in that part of FL could be 60 to 80 degrees. Usually forecasts about 1 week out are pretty reliable. Check weather.gov before you leave and you can decide speedo or no speedo:p;)

5. Does anyone know / is there a way of finding out what movies will be shown on pool deck prior to the cruise. Not been on a cruise in a while and this looks to be a great addition. Love the thought of chill-axing under the stars with a beer watching a good film !!

Kind regards

Ian

Congratulations on your marriage and happy sailing!

Cheers to you all for your kind words, couldn't think of anywhere better than an RCI ship to celebrate my honeymoon, also Pete big fan of your great reviews of your cruises.

Cheers

Ian

Ian, thanks for the compliments, much appreciated.

Congratulations on your wedding!

My family and I are just off the FOS last weekend. It is a fabulous ship! You and your bride will thoroughly enjoy yourselves.

As for watches, my DS is passionate about his timepieces. Years ago, he purchased a Tag Heuer on Mariner of the Seas and later, an Omega from Oasis of the Seas. 15% is the standard discount they'll give you on the ship's store. We saw a pretty good number of Tag Heuer on FOS including the Carrera model. The ship does not carry Rolex. They will throw in a bottle of champagne or some other liquor. The ship's stores also has a raffle for $500 worth of mechandise during the cruise. You'll get one raffle ticket per $50 spent. The raffle is held on the last day of the cruise. The ship reports large sales to customs.

My DS will do an extensive amount of research before he makes a purchase. Before he considers buying a watch in the ports, he'll check the web to find out if the store is a true authorized retailer. This last trip, he window-shopped for an IWC in Falmouth, Jamaica and in Grand Cayman. You might find an additional discount in the ports, but make sure it's from an authorized retailer of the brand.

Good luck shopping and have a great time on the FOS!

Hi everyone,

Here's a list of flicks that were on the Big Screen on the 10/13/13 FOS cruise (per the Cruise Compasses):

The Wizard of Oz

Kelly Clarkson

Man of Steel

Just For Laughs

Superbuddies

Kind regards

Ian

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much Eurodate, that's good to know, it's the Carrera model I was looking at as well !!!

Kind regards

Ian

Glad I can help!

I looked for a ladies Tag Heuer watch myself on the cruise, but the ship's store didn't have much of a selection. The salesman I dealt with, was a little too pushy in my opinion. I did see several Tag Heuers for men and the Carrera was one of them.

If you're going to be on the western caribbean, there are Kirk Freeport stores in Grand Cayman that's supposed to be reputable.