HOw did the illusionist do the girl on box trick on the Zuiderdam?

tripman

I was on the Zuiderdam last week...I am completely lost with no idea at all how the illusionist did the trick with the girl in the box. Does anyone have a clue? It has been driving me nuts...which of course I understand is his goal...but being an engineer, I have a hard time with problems that I can't solve.

IF I knew I STILL wouldn't tell you!

You were on a great vacation and saw a great show. It was the illusionist's job to fool even the most sceptical and analytical person! Be thankful you had a good illusionist and delight in the mystery.

(I'm a scientist by training and it used to drive me nuts too. However, I've learned to enjoy it. I STILL try to figure out how these things are done, but now I'm disappointed when I CAN figure it out!)

I saw the title of this thread and thought it was the start of a dirty joke, and I came in to see the punchline. *LOL*

Seriuosly, I did happen to see a show that gave away the secret of how its done, it was pretty interesting.

Judgeing by some of the posts I am not sure I should tell, I don't want to be the big brother that tells the kid theres no Santa *LOL*

...but being an engineer, I have a hard time with problems that I can't solve.

The engineer does not ask if the glass is half full or half empty, but why is the glass twice as big as it needs to be? ;)

Bodger

Why ruin the trick for yourselves? Isn't the beauty of it that it was done so well that you were totally fooled and cannot tell how the illusionist did it? Just leave it at that and enjoy!

Why ruin the trick for yourselves? Isn't the beauty of it that it was done so well that you were totally fooled and cannot tell how the illusionist did it? Just leave it at that and enjoy!

I asked James Cielen what his thoughts were about the masked magician on Fox who "revealed" the secrets. He said he didn't mind...the only thing it did was ruin it for you. Part of the fun of illusionists is wondering "how'd they do that". He told me that magicians often catch other acts, even though they know what they are doing, they can see how well they are doing it. But for the "average" person, half of the entertainment value is wondering just how it was done. If you go in knowing it - you're just sitting thru an exercise.

We saw James Cielen a couple of years ago and he put on an excellent and very entertaining show.

I always try to figure out how magicians do it - usually without success.

We did buy Cielen's magic kit for a grandson and I had to "threaten" the llittle devil before he revealed how the small tricks worked - and he still held back on one "secret."

There was a magician on a ship doing 7-day Caribbean cruises who was bedeviled by the captain's pet parrot. The parrot went to each show and after awhile figured out most of the tricks. The parrot yelled out such things as " it"s up his sleeve" "it's under his hat" - pretty much ruining the mystery for each new audience.

It didn't take long for the magician to develop a deep hatred for the parrot. But because it was the captain's pet, he had to restrain himself.

One day an explosion rocked the ship. The magician and the parrot ended up in the sea, clinging to opposite ends of the same floating wooden door.

Not a word was spoken between them - they just glared at each other.

On the fifth day the parrot finally broke the silence:

"OK, I give up. What did you do with the ship?"

(There was no loss of life or injuries in this explosion because it's a joke.)

"OK, I give up. What did you do with the ship?"

Ted--

I love it!!!

:D

When I was on MSC, we saw the illusionist. He was really quite good, but since we were seated on the far right I could see him palming items behind his back as he was facing stage left....

What truly amazed me was when he turned the girl into a python!

But then when he started parading the snake all over the showroom above his head, I felt rather sorry for the poor creature....

As James will tell you if you ask him how he gets the girl in the box...

He pays her. :)

As everyone here seems to agree the best part of an illusion is in not knowing how it's done - I've worked James' show for the last couple of years and he's extremely good at what he does which you've undoubtably noticed. Take it from me, you really don't want to know how it's done - just enjoy the fact that he fooled you.

Saying that it is a fact that I DON'T want to know because it will ruin it is like me saying, "You DON'T want to know what makes an airplane fly because it will ruin the magic." Because to someone who doesn't know, an airplane flying is like magic. But to someone who DOES know what makes an airplane fly, it is so much more satisfying, and even beautiful, to understand the physics and mathematics of something that to some, may seem like magic.

So, if you do know the trick was done, please share.

I was on the Zuiderdam last week...I am completely lost with no idea at all how the illusionist did the trick with the girl in the box. Does anyone have a clue? It has been driving me nuts...which of course I understand is his goal...but being an engineer, I have a hard time with problems that I can't solve.

LOL the one I have always had a problem with was on the just retired Noordam when it was new. :p

I was in the upper balcony of the show lounge watching this illusionist work, and he was GOOD... But the trick I could not get over was the one with the goose named "Geronimo" (I remember it's name not the illusionist:p. The illusionist was in the middle of the dance stage with a box. He put the goose in the box and bingo the goose disappeared. A couple days later they had a showing of Geronimo to show that the goose was still alive. :D:D The illusionist walked Geronimo around and the kids petted it.

Actually it's nothing like saying "You'd really don't want to know how an airplane flys" because the purpose of an airplane isn't to fool you into thinking the airline has pulled off the impossible - it's purpose is solely transport. *shrug*

I'm sorry you seemed to take offence to my post but if you're truely interested in learning about the trick it's not that hard using Google. Happy hunting.

You know, it also isn't that hard to just be considerate and answer, instead of taking this attitude of, "haha, I know..you don't...hahaha...na na na na na na".

Why even post a response saying: "I know, but trust me, you don't want me to tell you." Why not just keep quiet if you aren't willing to help? It seems to me that the only reason to post what you did is to make yourself feel superior...

I just asked a question. I actually do want to know the answer, I don't need others telling me what I do or do not want.

You know, it also isn't that hard to just be considerate and answer, instead of taking this attitude of, "haha, I know..you don't...hahaha...na na na na na na".

Why even post a response saying: "I know, but trust me, you don't want me to tell you." Why not just keep quiet if you aren't willing to help? It seems to me that the only reason to post what you did is to make yourself feel superior...

I just asked a question. I actually do want to know the answer, I don't need others telling me what I do or do not want.

WOW..Now your "Burning Your Bridges Behind You", with that attitude":( Instead of trying to ruin it for others, why don't you nicely ask someone to send you an e-mail, as others have done..

Just my opinion!

if you're truely interested in learning about the trick it's not that hard using Google. Happy hunting.

kinky --i was unable to find it on google --- if you have the link please post it and those that dnt want to know the answer dont have to open it but those of us that do can and then everyone can sleep tonite

Archived