Vancouver areas and hotels

Sorry you are of course both correct it is Quality Inn (having a senior moment) As said we are only there for one night so have about 1.5 day's to keep occupied before the 23.45 flight back to Australia.

Was your Phantom booking also with priceline? I see on their web site the price should be $235 (they say)

Darn, I hate it when I am right....I have to tell DW and she reminds me of all the times I have been wrong.;)

When you have booked thru Priceline, which I have no quarrel with as I often use them, I don't think you have to option cancel and upgrade to another hotel...unless it is a special type of booking.

Yvonne - I did the phantom booking on the Choice Hotel site - as I have Choice rewards it made have indicated a special price.

I tried both Expedia and Booking dot com and get prices at lot lower that the $235.00 and close to what I posted above.

Cheers

Dennis

Yvonne - I did the phantom booking on the Choice Hotel site - as I have Choice rewards it made have indicated a special price.

I tried both Expedia and Booking dot com and get prices at lot lower that the $235.00 and close to what I posted above.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks for the info Dennis I am content with my bookings now I have the 3 hotels sorted and just keeping an eye on the flight cost with United from YVR-FLL which is earl in the morning unfortunately but is direct. Showing at present on Flighthub at CAD$248pp plus baggage CAD$25 per case I think this is probably as low as it will go.:):)

Thanks for the info Dennis I am content with my bookings now I have the 3 hotels sorted and just keeping an eye on the flight cost with United from YVR-FLL which is earl in the morning unfortunately but is direct. Showing at present on Flighthub at CAD$248pp plus baggage CAD$25 per case I think this is probably as low as it will go.:):)

Don't confuse 'direct' with non-stop, or even same-plane. All that means is that it has a same flight number all the way through.

UA1267 YVR 0700-1325 IAH

UA1267 IAH 1545-1921 FLL

While it has the same flight number, and is a 737-800 all the way, there's still a 2h20m layover in Texas, and it still may not even be the same aircraft

There are no non-stop flights from Vancouver to anywhere in Florida. Cuba is the closest you'll get non-stop.

Edited by scottbee

Don't confuse 'direct' with non-stop, or even same-plane. All that means is that it has a same flight number all the way through.

UA1267 YVR 0700-1325 IAH

UA1267 IAH 1545-1921 FLL

While it has the same flight number, and is a 737-800 all the way, there's still a 2h20m layover in Texas, and it still may not even be the same aircraft

There are no non-stop flights from Vancouver to anywhere in Florida. Cuba is the closest you'll get non-stop.

I do not understand How can they say NON STOP if it actually does stop

ECT ▹

Today's Bonus: Take off $40 Instantly - Click here

$248

incl. tax & fees

avg. price per person

United

7:00am YVR ▹ 7:21pm FLL 9h21m Non-Stop

 Economy

SELECT ▹

That timing just doesn't make sense for a non-stop - over 9 hours in the air to FLL from YVR means 2+ hours on the ground somewhere.

Try using Kayak (which specifies that the flight you mention is indeed the UA1267 referred to by SB above, stopping in IAH but with no change of planes required) or even United.com - if you check the 'non stop only' box they actually specify in big red font at the top of the results page if there are no non-stop flights available (which is what I see if I check April 29/30 - direct yes, but no non stop).

And I would take it at that price right now, with a stop or not, because it's often a LOT more than that.

That timing just doesn't make sense for a non-stop - over 9 hours in the air to FLL from YVR means 2+ hours on the ground somewhere.

Try using Kayak (which specifies that the flight you mention is indeed the UA1267 referred to by SB above, stopping in IAH but with no change of planes required) or even United.com - if you check the 'non stop only' box they actually specify in big red font at the top of the results page if there are no non-stop flights available (which is what I see if I check April 29/30 - direct yes, but no non stop).

And I would take it at that price right now, with a stop or not, because it's often a LOT more than that.

Thank you Nice to have the correct information because it means we can purchase a better snack at the stop over instead of taking one which would be rather warm by the middle of the trip I hate the 'snacks' they offer on these internal trips

Thank you Nice to have the correct information because it means we can purchase a better snack at the stop over instead of taking one which would be rather warm by the middle of the trip I hate the 'snacks' they offer on these internal trips

A caveat about doing that - passengers not disembarking are usually discouraged from getting off the plane on a direct flight (i.e. like the one above where the same plane continues onward after stopping).

When it's a couple of hours there should be minimal risk so they might be happy to let everyone off and back on, but in the past I've been flat-out forbidden to get off as a continuing passenger - although that was with an anticipated turnaround time of just under an hour, so it may have been a timing issue rather than security.

Either way, don't assume you'll be allowed to get off at IAH to go grab some lunch - even if it's OK with the security folks, if the first leg is delayed you may not have time.

A caveat about doing that - passengers not disembarking are usually discouraged from getting off the plane on a direct flight (i.e. like the one above where the same plane continues onward after stopping).

When it's a couple of hours there should be minimal risk so they might be happy to let everyone off and back on, but in the past I've been flat-out forbidden to get off as a continuing passenger - although that was with an anticipated turnaround time of just under an hour, so it may have been a timing issue rather than security.

Either way, don't assume you'll be allowed to get off at IAH to go grab some lunch - even if it's OK with the security folks, if the first leg is delayed you may not have time.

Thank you Martincath

So it will be belt and braces time Hope to buy something but take pre packaged eats to fall, back on. As a side What are the restrictions in USA / Canada now for taking drinks on the plane in carry on (not booze just soda's or iced coffee)

Well As you said ..... Booked the flight and although it said non stop the flight stops and changes planes for 2 hours 20 mins Why cannot flighthub give the correct information to start with.??

All done now except I cannot purchase the baggage until on line check in it says., Unless this is something else they tell you incorrectly.:o

Booked now United flight As you said and flighthub lied about There is a stop for 2.20 hours and a change of planes as well. All I need now is to buy the luggage which I am told (I do not know if this is also incorrect) cannot be done until on line check in :confused::confused:

Thank you Martincath

So it will be belt and braces time Hope to buy something but take pre packaged eats to fall, back on. As a side What are the restrictions in USA / Canada now for taking drinks on the plane in carry on (not booze just soda's or iced coffee)

We implemented basically the same restrictions as the US did - if you want to bring it through security it's small liquid/gel containers, each 100ml or less, that all fit into a single bag of 1 litre capacity or less. If you buy water/soda/coffee after security you can take any amount of liquid onto the plane though. Ever since a flight years ago with turbulence almost all the way and virtually no drink service we always travel with an empty water bottle and fill it at a drinking fountain post-security just to ensure we stay hydrated.

As to your luggage issue - I've always been able to pre-pay for luggage at the time of booking, but I've never booked on Flighthub... You can definitely pay for luggage during online Check-in though so don't worry about not being able to do that.

We implemented basically the same restrictions as the US did - if you want to bring it through security it's small liquid/gel containers, each 100ml or less, that all fit into a single bag of 1 litre capacity or less. If you buy water/soda/coffee after security you can take any amount of liquid onto the plane though. Ever since a flight years ago with turbulence almost all the way and virtually no drink service we always travel with an empty water bottle and fill it at a drinking fountain post-security just to ensure we stay hydrated.

As to your luggage issue - I've always been able to pre-pay for luggage at the time of booking, but I've never booked on Flighthub... You can definitely pay for luggage during online Check-in though so don't worry about not being able to do that.

Thanks I think empty water bottles and a sachet of crystals will be the way to go lighter to carry as well.

Edited by windsor26

Hi, we visited Vancouver for 4 days in Sept. , we had a great time , it was between cruises so we wanted to stay downtown, the people on these boards we kind enough to give us some information and advice, and I booked a downtown 4 star through Hotwire and got the Delta Vancouver Suites, a $5 cab ride from the port, it was perfect location for getting around , just steps from a Tim Hortons for coffee and breakfast, around the corner a BC Liquior for getting wine before the cruise,couple blocks from a convience store, one block from the stop for the Big Bus ( which is a good value, it takes you all over Vancouver). And the hotel is just a short walk from Gastown. And we could see Canada Place and a peak at the cruise ships in harbor. The staff at the hotel were very helpful and accomodating. It worked really well for us. The information we got from Putterdude, scottbee and martincath was really helpful to us.

Cori

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the Delta Suites. It is a hotel that when I used to work:eek: that many of my colleagues like to stay at for the extra room and it's relative location to our offices in the Vancouver Centre complex. It tends to get overlooked by us unless a poster mentions it only because it's location tends to anchor the eastern end of the downtown business community, however, as you found out, it's location is great for cruisers and Delta are great hotel operators.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the Delta Suites. It is a hotel that when I used to work:eek: that many of my colleagues like to stay at for the extra room and it's relative location to our offices in the Vancouver Centre complex. It tends to get overlooked by us unless a poster mentions it only because it's location tends to anchor the eastern end of the downtown business community, however, as you found out, it's location is great for cruisers and Delta are great hotel operators.

Hi , thanks for the information , we had a great time , really enjoyed our time in Vancouver and hope to return sometime. The Delta Suites was exactly what we needed.

Cori

• 1 month later...

Flying into Vancouver the day before our cruise. Have booked a room at the Holiday Inn Express on Bridgeport Rd Richmond. Rate was $97/night. I read somewhere there is a McDonalds near this hotel. Can someone confirm? Also, anyone know aprox cost of a taxi to the cruise port from here? I have heard people mention a SkyTrain, but not sure how easy that would be for 2 old geezers carrying luggage. ;)

Skytrain is the name of our rapid transit system and the Canada Line is the one that services Richmond and the airport.

You are close to a station - the cars on the train were designed for travellers - lots of room for luggage etc.

Whether you can manage to carry or wheel your luggage I can't answer but lots of people do this regularily.

It would be a short 2 - 3 block walk from the Waterfront station terminus to Canada Place.

A cab would be in the range of $35.00

Hope this helps and i am sure that some of the other locals will be along shortly to give you more precise info as some of them use the system more than I do/

Cheers!

Dennis

Flying into Vancouver the day before our cruise. Have booked a room at the Holiday Inn Express on Bridgeport Rd Richmond. Rate was $97/night. I read somewhere there is a McDonalds near this hotel. Can someone confirm? Also, anyone know aprox cost of a taxi to the cruise port from here? I have heard people mention a SkyTrain, but not sure how easy that would be for 2 old geezers carrying luggage. ;)

We stayed at the Marriott in Richmond in Sept and took the Canada Line Skytrain from there (the station was 2 blocks from our hotel and right across from the mall). It cost about $5 Canadian for the two of us and took about 25 minutes. Then a 2 block walk from the end to the pier.

Very easy, if you can handle your own luggage. And cannot beat the price.

DaveOKC