Vatican Museums with disability

magnet1640

We went to the Vatican museums in October. We were quite confused on how it was going to work when we got there.

Their website stated that disabled visitors would be provided with a wheelchair, and allowed free admission. This is the extent of the information we had on arrival. This is how it turned out:

Our taxi dropped us off at the entrance at 8:45. I was given three different times on when they opened. It turns out they opened early for tour groups only before 9. Luckily we were dropped off at the entrance for tour groups and those who pre-bought tickets. I saw the wheelchair sign and asked the bouncer about a wheelchair. He said wait until 9. We stood and waited until 9, but didn't have to wait with the ordinary line-up which went around the corner. After the tour groups filed in, we were allowed in at 9AM sharp with people who pre-bought tickets. This saved some time. We went to the check desk and got DH a wheelchair. All they asked for was a copy of the passport. The didn't want to see all the "proof of disability" i brought (as asked by the website). We went through the ticket kiosk. They charged both of us full price!! He didn't even get a discount for being a senior.

When we entered, i decided to turn right when the museums started, because only wheelchairs were allowed access there. It brought us to all of the museums on the main floor. All of the tour groups were crowding the upper floor, and we were practically alone on the main floor. I would suggest this if you have the opportunity, disabled or not. At the end of the lower hallway, there was a small wheelchair-elevator which dropped us off at the Sistine Chapel. When we left the Sistine Chapel the way we came, we were able to take the elevator to the upper floor and join the crowds to check out the tapestries, etc. However, despite what the website reads, the Raphael Rooms are not W/C accessible. There are sets of stairs on either end before you get there.

We had to return the W/C so we were obviously unable to to take the shortcut to St. Peter's. It's a long walk from the museum entrance to the square, but fortunately with 4-5 breaks, DH was able to get there.

Any questions? Let me know. We were glad we went.

We went to the check desk and got DH a wheelchair. All they asked for was a copy of the passport. The didn't want to see all the "proof of disability" i brought (as asked by the website). We went through the ticket kiosk. They charged both of us full price!! He didn't even get a discount for being a senior.

The Vatican Museums don't offer a senior discount so that's not a surprise. It's unfortunate, however, that no one offered you the free tickets that both you and your husband were entitled to. These must be requested at the reception desk ... and, based on your experience, apparently you really must ask for them. Presumably when you do, that's when they would ask to see your "proof".

We were in Rome last year to attend a wedding and visited a few museums etc. It was the first time I had taken a wheelchair, but myself and partner were given free entrance everywhere we went. We didn't have to ask, but I would have done if it hadn't been offered. We found everybody extremely kind and helpful.

In September we were in the Vasa Museum in Stockholm and as we approached the ticket desk I asked the young lady if there was a disabled discount. She said she would check with her colleague. We were told my carer could enter free. In that case we wouldn't have been offered the concession if I hadn't asked, but I don't have a speech difficulty, only a mobility disability, so if in doubt, just ask.

In the UK Senior Citizen discounts are offered to anyone over 60, but in the rest of Europe it is over 65.

The Vatican Museums don't offer a senior discount so that's not a surprise. It's unfortunate, however, that no one offered you the free tickets that both you and your husband were entitled to. These must be requested at the reception desk ... and, based on your experience, apparently you really must ask for them. Presumably when you do, that's when they would ask to see your "proof".

That's possible. He was able to get into Pompeii for free. That was after our tour guide chatted away with the ticket guy in Italian for two minutes beforehand, however.

It seems like it's a bit of a grey area. You get a grumpy ticket guy, you're outta luck.

We had a very different experience three weeks ago when we were there. My MIL cannot walk far or for very long but we had purchased a wonderful DRIVE travel wheelchair for the entire trip. It collapses down into a small bag and weighed 18 lbs. The airlines check it (we left it in the box it came in) for free.

We were dropped off in front by our taxi (we went at 1:00 pm) and wheeled right in. DH and myself had prepurchased timed tickets and we went to the window to present our voucher and get our tickets. They then pointed us to the window for my MIL and FIL "free" tickets. We were asked to show their passports and she had her disabled parking permit from the states. They asked what state issued it and we said Texas. They gave us a voucher for the tickets and we went back to window 1 and got their tickets. There were no real lines so it was easy and fast.

We then took the elevator up and then the ramp where we went into the courtyard and headed to the other side entrance. We did a small area to the right and then backtracked to the glass doors (across from the stairs to the tapestry rooms etc) and went right into a long hall of museum. It brought us to the wheelchair ramp for the Sistine Chapel. We retraced our steps and that was all we did of the museums.

DH and I had visited the entire museum on our first visit to Rome so this was a much abbreviated version for us but was just right for MIL and FIL.

The museums can be done but not all of it..... and it requires a little creative maneuvering.

• 2 months later...

Hi, we are visiting Rome in June and plan to see the Vatican too. My son is also in a wheelchair. Did you pick up the taxi from the cruise port? If so how much did it cost? We are trying to figure out if we should take a tour or hire a private car/limo.

Hi, we are visiting Rome in June and plan to see the Vatican too. My son is also in a wheelchair. Did you pick up the taxi from the cruise port? If so how much did it cost? We are trying to figure out if we should take a tour or hire a private car/limo.

We took a cab from a stand next to the hotel. A cab from the cruise port will be quite costly. I think a private driver would be a better idea.

Thank you Magnet1640. I'm looking into Rome by Limo since it got so many positive reviews. We plan to purchase tickets online and just need to decide whether to have a guided tour or not. We usually prefer independent travel. Any thoughts on a Vatican guided tour? Is it worth it?

We had one and I would recommend it, especially if its very crowded (it was PACKED when we were there). There is so much to see and it can be so overwhelming a guide can be a huge resource putting it all into context and pointing out items you may have missed. A good one will note your interests and direct attention accordingly.

That's not to say one is required, but I think the value proposition is there to get the most out of it, especially if time is limited.

Thank you Magnet1640. I'm looking into Rome by Limo since it got so many positive reviews. We plan to purchase tickets online and just need to decide whether to have a guided tour or not. We usually prefer independent travel. Any thoughts on a Vatican guided tour? Is it worth it?